1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: T-Mac wants Stro & Damon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slick Rick, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Swift, Stoudamire at the top of McGrady's wish list
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Two months after the Rockets' postseason run ended, All-Star forward Tracy McGrady still thinks about the playoffs. The 2006 playoffs.

McGrady is trying to target exactly who the Rockets need to acquire to help them get past the opening round of the postseason for the first time since 1997. Rockets management has spent much of the past two weeks targeting power forward Stromile Swift, 25, who McGrady said could be the team's missing piece.

"He has unbelievable talent, and he's young," McGrady said Thursday. "That's a guy I can grow with. With his athleticism and power out there at the four position and his ability to play the five, it creates mismatch problems on the opposing end."

Swift visited the Rockets last week and also has been in talks with the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets. Money may become the deciding factor in the next few days, though. The Rockets are over the salary cap and can offer only the mid-level exception. Swift is expected to receive offers higher than that.

"He's still looking," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "I think he's got it narrowed down to two or three teams, and he says we're in great shape. But you never know. Money means so much in this business, and we're limited with what we can do. If everything's equal, I think we're in pretty good shape."

Swift is one of two players McGrady mentioned from his short wish list. He said Portland point guard Damon Stoudamire, who lives in Houston, also would fit well, though Stoudamire would have to accept a major pay cut to fit within the Rockets' budget. Stoudamire, who averaged 15.8 points and 5.7 assists per game last season, played with McGrady in Toronto for part of McGrady's rookie year.

"He was Mighty Mouse then," McGrady said. "He's toward the end of his career where he just wants to win. It's not about being the man.

"When it's all said and done, everyone wants to win a championship. I think that's the attitude of everyone on this team. A lot of sacrifices need to be made, because we're definitely trying to put together a hell of a team. Some guys are going to be without minutes, and some guys are going to have to sacrifice their games. But to be that team that we want to be, we're going to have to be willing to do that."

McGrady is confident about the direction the Rockets are headed. He said his first year in Houston was a far cry from the four he spent with the Magic.

"I spent four years down in Orlando, and it was obvious that we needed to make changes for our team, and it just wasn't happening at the time," McGrady said. "These guys are strictly about winning, and that's where I'm at right now in my career."

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nice to hear tracy say this about managment here

lets hope swift and damon are willing to take paycuts to play here

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

good to see him go public with the wish list.

5. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I was watching Damon play at the Procity tournament. He is tough and really quick. He was getting hammered every time he went to the hole and still finishing up strong. The best thing is that he can still shoot. It doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you can shoot, you can be in the NBA. I think we could use him too. I'm sure McGrady has his reasons that he wants him.

6. xomox

who are you talking about?

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

well ofcourse, johnny damon

[​IMG]

8. xomox

it's all so clear to me now gweedo.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The backcourt would probably be one of the shortest in the league. Damon Stoudomire 5'11" and Wesley at about 6'1". And the main backup of Head at 6'3". :eek:

But the front court with Stromile Swift would be AWSOME!!!!! :cool:

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

well i think its pretty safe to say, if we signed Damon we would trade Sura and/or Wesley or maybe even Mike James since supposedly him and T-Mac arent on the same page

11. tim562

Ummm, maybe Damon Stoudamire :eek: :eek:

12. xomox

no, no. it's already been clarified. it's johnny damon.

13. tim562

Oh, my bad............should have known!!!!! :p :p

14. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

If we sign Damon, he'd be filling the PG position. But I think Tmac will still be the primary ball handler.

Damon's just there to provide spot up shooting with his 3's and playmaking offense.

15. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It kinda sucks that Tracy is gonna have to sacrifice his minutes for this to work. :p I had always liked watching him play. The coaches are also gonna have to constantly remind Damon not to wrap his weed in foil when going through metal detectors. :rolleyes:

I can't possibly imagine landing both those guys. That would be a perfect off season. But yeah, i think it's clear someone doesn't want James on the team anymore. :confused:

16. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

i find it way too presumptuous to say that if McGrady wants Damon Stoudamire, it automatically means he doesn't want Mike James on the team anymore. Any Rocket fan with only a rudimentary eye for basketball could recongize that Mike James is nowhere close to being a point guard. He's got a role on our team - as the sparkplug off the bench, and I think most people who like him on our team want to keep it that way and only that way.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree, Mike James is best as a sparkplug off the bench, which is what we need anyway.

I'd LOVE to get Stoudamire, and you would think he would be relatively easy to attain. If the Rockets could acquire Swift and Stoudamire I would be as giddy as all heck!

18. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

The last PG we signed with a ton of hair turned out bad, hope the trend doesn't continue.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

My guess is if we got Stoudamire then McGrady would be the 2-guard and we would get a SF and a back, athletic 2-guard and deal off Wesley or Sura.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The reason why we traded JJ was to allow TMac to play SF. Generally speaking, TMac won't play 2-guard unless the matchup is in our favor.