1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Oakley balked at going on injured list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vtkp99, Apr 8, 2004.

1. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/rox/2493276

April 8, 2004, 3:45AM
    Oakley balked at going on injured list
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES -- His only requirement, Charles Oakley insisted, was that he be in uniform. He would play, or not play. He'd take whatever crumbs of playing time the Rockets could still offer.

The Rockets offered him a contract for the rest of the season. But he said they couldn't offer the crumbs.

"I didn't come there to get sea bass or catfish," Oakley said in a phone interview Wednesday. "I wanted to catch some fish.

"I didn't question anything going on the whole time there. I was willing to do whatever. Jeff (Van Gundy, the Rockets' coach) told me. Would I go on (the injured list)? I said, `No, I just got here. You're making a playoff run.' I knew guys were in front of me and (Kelvin) Cato was coming back. I can add two and two.

"He did ask me if I would sign. But I don't want that. I just got here and you're going to put me on IR? I don't want to just be around."

Oakley repeatedly said he was not angry with the Rockets and that he enjoyed his brief time with them. But that only seemed to make the end of his tenure with them more disappointing.

He was released Tuesday, a day before his second 10-day contract was to expire.

Oakley played in just seven of the 10 Rockets games since he joined the team March 19. In 25 minutes, he made two of six shots and grabbed five rebounds, all on the defensive boards. He scored nine points.

But he said he played enough to know he could still contribute.

"I thought I knew the system pretty well, but (Van Gundy) said I missed assignments here and there," Oakley said. "He's got guys all year missing assignments. I'm not pointing fingers. I like the guys. A lot of guys around the league feel my reputation is just a hard, dirty player. But I'm a team player. You have to respect me because I'm there for my teammates.

"I came there to play. I was in shape. I wanted to play more. I'm not mad at anybody. I thought I would get a chance to prove myself. I didn't get a chance to prove myself. I could play the game. He felt bad about bringing me in. But I'm not mad."

Oakley said he did not know why the Rockets have been losing, other than they are playing Western Conference teams and have struggled all season against the West.

"They've been in the games," Oakley said. "They play hard. But they're used to playing a certain way. They're trying to get in Jeff mode. They might think things worked in the past, why don't we do that now. They're not saying that, but you can tell."

Oakley, 40, did not know if he wanted to play again or let his brief stint with the Rockets be his last in the league.

"After this ended, I have to think about it," Oakley said. "I feel strong about myself. And what I see in the league, not knocking the talent, it's not what it used to be. But I don't know.

"The game ain't hard. It's how you play the game. I can still move. I was never the highest jumper in the league. I'm still fundamentally sound. There's not a lot in the league like that. I try to do what the team needs."

But when he felt the Rockets did not think they needed him, he did not need to keep an injured list connection to them.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I definitely did not get the memo detailing why I should give a F about what Oakley wanted to do. With him gone, I can start watching the team again.

3. Sane

Sane Member

Shame. I'd rather have him than Spoon.

Spoon tries really really hard, but people are able to shoot over him and go around him as well. He tries, but he's just not able to do some things.

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I respect him for not just sitting there and taking a pay check. Plenty of guys would have taken the IR spot to get another 75k? or whatever he'd get for those games

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

:confused:

Catfish and sea bass aren't fish?

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Overall, I have more respect for the guy than I did before. I wish he was still on the team because they couldve used him for the playoff run. It was cool to see him after the game at the Lexus Lounge at the Kings game, and ironically, that was his last game with us. He was nice enough to shake my hand and wish him the best.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A very telling statement, that.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Well.....

Bye.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Geez, with Astros opening series and the Rockets playoff push, you figure the Chronicle would have more importan things to write about than a 40 year old scrub journeyman getting released...

10. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

Oak didnt show much when he was given that little bit of time. I saw him brick a few shots if I recall. He can easily be replaced. Im just glad to have Cato back.

11. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

3-7 with oakley
    40-28 without

you be the judge :rolleyes:

12. Sane

Sane Member

I'll put this in the nicest way possible, and you figure out what I mean:

At best , your logic is flawed.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

translation:

steve wouldn't pass me the ball. these kids are selfish. boki is the only cool one. I miss my mommy. You guys are no fun. I'm going home. poopyhead.