1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Harris County Home to 6 of the Top 10 Most Congested Roads in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I-10 went from complete **** to totally fantastic. There's no way it belongs on this list. 290 is a thousand times worse in either direction beltway in or 610 out.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I'll tell you what LA has done besides adding new freeways....EXPAND MASS TRANSIT! This is something Houston needs to get on (an thankfully, it is). LA has a light rail line opening in a few years and the Subway to the Sea around 2020-2025. I feel bad for METRO (Houston) because they have to deal with idiots like John Culberson.

3. Scarface281

Are you serious? Do you know how many people use the buses and things in Houston? You have no reason to be worried. Even in LA, me and three of my friends went there the last week of June for our high school graduation trip/present, and we used the buses/rails the entire week. Never felt worried at all. People mind their own damn business.

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I-10 is pretty legit now after the expansion but once I get on I-45, it's slower than molasses.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I don't see mass transit ever being really successful in Houston. It's either hot and humid or streets are flooding from random thunderstorm. I tried to the ride buses but ended up getting soaked with blown out umbrellas or sweating onto my clothes. It's fine if you are a student in shorts and a t-shirt, but not so good for suits.

6. Scarface281

You really don't?? Have you seen how many people use the Park and Ride? The Red Line's ridership is down a bit the first quarter of this year (as are most transit systems), but the ridership is still good. Light rail will definitely work in the Inner City, with commuter rail coming in from the suburbs. I hate when people say it won't work in Houston. It works in Atlanta, Denver, and DALLAS, of all places. It can work here. People just need to open up.

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I love I-10 - it's my most used route after 290 on the weekends...thank god I don't have to take freeways to work or I'd go insane sitting on 290!

btw, that 45 stretch between i 10 and 59 via downtown is terrible...i don't think they will expand 45 because that area is practically a bottleneck. any ideas how they can alleviate that bottleneck?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Coulda also added that the drive to the Clear Lake\Webster area is a breeze also. :p

and ftr...I feel the same about the Galleria area....hell the whole west side for that matter...as you do about the east side.

you guys can have the west side....tons of traffic, lots of crime....go for it.

9. Scarface281

There was (and might still be going on) a plan to put 45 in a tunnel.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

23 minutes from the front door of my office in the galleria to my garage in katy. and i don't need a closepin for my nose. :)

11. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

A tunnel?? How is that going to alleviate the problem?

12. Scarface281

13. Fatty FatBastard

Tunnels solve everything. Who wouldn't want this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fLW3OiH8OQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fLW3OiH8OQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. TheBigAristotle

This made for some good reading as I entertained this article on the pot this morning.

Yeah, I don't buy the we're too spread out either argument that people like to throw around when it fcomes to mass transit. Look at our damn freeways people. IS this how you want to live for the next 100 years?

Build more lanes? Get more people. Build more lanes? Get more people. Fix the problem where it starts at mass transit.

15. Fatty FatBastard

This is the only viable solution.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKLs9ynZEH0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKLs9ynZEH0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anybody else concerned that it sounds like TXDoT intends to invest millions in infrastructure improvements based on a list that looks like BS on first blush?

17. TheBigAristotle

IS it just me or is the Grand Parkway a complete waste of time?

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

aaaa touche. ;)

I dont go that far into Pasadena these days, but I did grow up there so I know what you mean. Between the Goodyear plant just outside the loop and the Champion paper(or whoever owns that these days) the far west end of 225 is horrible.

I dont even know why I am participating in a thread about work-hour traffic....I literally roll out of bed and am in my office chair in roughly 30 seconds.(two minutes if I go directly for my morning Monster before I sit at my desk.)

still....when I do drive the freeways, Id rather deal with what little smell makes it into my closed-up car for a a minute or so than the traffic on the west side.

19. Scarface281

Not really. They really need to get on expanding it north to 290 and making the whole thing a freeway/tollway or whatever. Now, as for the entire loop? Definitely not now. But the westside connection (haha) would be nice. I know they have completely some on the eastside.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Uh....TMI.

EDIT: Okay, you were talking about the drink Monster. Never mind.