1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chronicle] Davis won't run away

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Dec 9, 2005.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ironic, one of casserly's few good none first round picks will be replaced because of the futility of all his bad pics.

link

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Domanick Davis didn't hesitate before answering. Of course he would welcome Reggie Bush into the Texans' locker room.

Davis has watched Southern Cal's sensational junior running back play. He has heard the talk and realizes if the Texans win the rights to the No. 1 pick in the draft, Bush (assuming he leaves school) likely will be headed to Houston to take the job Davis has held for three seasons.

Davis hasn't been in the NFL long, but he understands the business. He also understands the logic of wanting Bush.

"He's awesome," Davis said. "He can help any team he goes on. He's the type of player that makes crazy things happen."

On a Texans team loaded with shortcomings this season, running back is hardly one of them. With four games to go, Davis is just 153 yards shy of topping 1,000 for the third consecutive season.

A few days after rushing for a season-high 155 yards against the Baltimore Ravens, Davis said he still won't be surprised if the Texans use the No. 1 pick on a running back. He also won't shy away from the challenge of competing with Bush for playing time. If anything, it's motivating him.

After all, it's impossible for Davis to ignore signs scattered throughout Reliant Stadium like, All I want for Christmas is the No. 1 pick and Reggie Bush.

"It does (motivate me)," he said. "And it also shows how they kind of think of me. But if they get him, they're getting him for a reason. If we need him, we need him."

In August, Davis signed a $21.1 million contract extension through 2009. That was fresh off a 7-9 season in which he gave the Texans 1,188 yards rushing.

Despite missing two starts with a knee injury this year, Davis is well on his way to becoming only the 15th NFL running back since 1970 to post three 1,000-yard seasons to start his career.

Davis has been an all-purpose player for the Texans. Since joining the league as a fourth-round pick out of LSU in 2003, he ranks fourth among running backs with 147 receptions and seventh with 4,282 yards from scrimmage. He also returned punts last Sunday.

No matter what Davis does this season, though, talk will continue to surround the other running back not yet even a member of the team.

"I watched (Bush) against my Fresno State Bulldogs," Texans quarterback David Carr said. "He's pretty impressive. My defensive coordinator called me before and after that game and had some pretty impressive words to say. You'd be crazy not to want to have a guy like that on your team."

Starting with Sunday's game at Tennessee, the Texans still have four opportunities to hurt their chances in the Bush sweepstakes. But that's hardly the main reason Davis wants the team to start winning.

"We've got to go out and try to win the last four because fans are going to remember how you finished off," he said. "People are going to look at that. Did they stick their tails between their legs and just try to get through the season, or did they play hard? That's our job — to finish up hard."

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I honestly really like Davis. He is one of the few bright spots on this team, but when you have the opportunity to draft a guy like Bush, you have to do it.

I still think the Texans will win just enough games to not make this an issue.

I think most of the fans want them to lose out.

Bush alone will increase ticket sales.