1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Budinger ready to shine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 1, 2011.

1. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Twill's defense relies on giving space to his man so if someone passes it to him he can time it and fly for the steal and take off for a dunk.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As noted in the opening post:

"Not a lot of people see white guys dunk a lot, especially from my position," Budinger said of the response that comes so often. "On the road, no one really knows who I am. When I do get one, it's pretty cool. It's pretty cool to hear the reaction."

The surprise is more acute given the lack of Amish-looking players in the NBA. Few players sport Budinger's recent red-beard, no-mustache look, making him stand out from the league's rim-benders even more.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Martin was getting lit up by Rocky Balboa Sunday night. He looked okay Saturday night because he was playing Sasha Sharapova. Martin's defense has flashes of being adequate from time to time but it's still an abomination and a real concern. The reason why he doesn't get any love for the all-star game or all-NBA teams is because those guys don't get destroyed by Afflalo, Peja and Marco Belinelli.

Offensively, when he drives to the bucket along with his usual excellent outside shooting, he is special. Get a good wing defender with a decent offensive game or a legit shot blocking center and he would be even better.

If Bud could become at least average on defense, we have something darn good right there. The Cavs and Nets games were exactly what I expected to see from him this season, hopefully it was a maturity in his game and not the quality of the opponents...we shall see.

#23 rockets934life, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You can do it, Chad!!!

5. thumbs

Like a hanging chad with whom you can hang?

6. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

It all starts by hitting midrange or 3pointers. Once his shot falls he has the athleticism to use the pump and go by his man for an easy flush.

Consistency & D is were Bud needs to improve in, he doesn't have the greatest of footwork making it tough to stay in front of his man. With hard work he could develop into a nice defensive player due to his athleticism.

Bud it's time to light up ;)

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but Mathloom wasn't the author of that OP. As good as Bud is offensively these past couple of games, his consistency & D is still a question marl/problem so depending on what can be had in return, people will want to trade him purely for bball reasons and not because of his beard's or skin's color.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

chase is going to have to make sure that wallace and batum stay off the offensive glass especially wallace he is going to have his hands full tonight

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Chase will be our next Brooks. Once he starts, his value will climb. Let's sell high this time.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think the article should have read "Budinger ready to Shane"... Get it? Because he took Shane's spot? I think its funny...

I really like what I see from Bud generally. It sucks that his promotion had to come at the loss of one of my favorite players, but if it translates to wins I'm on board...

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

regrettably this post will fall on many deaf ears. But you are very correct, Bud has been putting in the work on the defensive end. The problem is not Chase but our lack of defense in the paint in the form of a shot blocker, shot changer. All due respect to Chuck who is a great man on man defender but he does not protect the basket like a Yao or Deke did.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Of course he shines. He's a ginger.

Dunk on, gingerbread man.

13. thumbs

Like Mathbloom's faulty logic, how can you "sell high" when his salary is so low? Any matching salary gets us almost nothing in return. As I said before, Bud is an incredible value with the advantage of a huge upside.

Terrence Williams hasn't shown anything except one nice outlet pass, but the board wants to annoint him the second coming of Michael Jordan. I hope Williams flowers, but our young Bud is already blossoming.

#33 thumbs, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

T-Will was coming on in NJ before he got into Avery's doghouse. He's a young guy it happens. He hasn't gotta chance yet which is a shame, because this team is going nowhere. The only thing he's done here is beg to be on the floor to compete for Houston, and he's gets criticized for that? Chase has been here 2 years & had plenty of chances to beat out Ariza (couldn't shoot) & a past his prime Battier. So I like Bud, but lets not "annoint" him either. I don't see why the both can't see time.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how many trades are straight up 1 for 1? when people say they want Chase to be traded, it will most likely be together in a package.

for instance, let's say Chase's trade value is at its peak (meaning he's been starting this whole year), we could have packaged him with Lowry plus 1 or 2 more players to get DWill and maybe a bad contract

Just like Morey said everyone on this team right now can be traded for the right price. No one is untouchable.

Do you think Bud is untouchable now?

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We'll likely have cap space for the next two offseasons, so we don't have to match salaries. It all depends on the new CBA, of course.

We also have the option of trading him for a high draft pick, which I would consider selling high. If Morey were able to trade Brooks on his paltry rookie scale salary last year for the Kings' pick, we would have considered that great value.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I like the fact that Budinger/TWill/ and Lee all have the ability to close out games and have a healthy competition for playing time. It gives the team different options in tight games. I am especially high on Lee closing out games even if he is matched up against someone bigger, he is a really good wing defender.

Budinger in the starting lineup is a no-brainer because he matches up really well with Lowry. His defense still is a big question mark, but we will soon find out if he can handle the load.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hahaha...he shaved the beard after that Amish remark in the article!

1 person likes this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Budinger is gonna shine like firework!

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xffl32?theme=none"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xffl32?theme=none" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xffl32_katy-perry-firework-official-music-video_music" target="_blank">Katy Perry - Firework (Official Music Video)</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/ChaOko_01" target="_blank">ChaOko_01</a>. - <a target="_blank" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/music">Music videos, artist interviews, concerts and more.</a></i>

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but he can be used in a package.

Frankly, I would love to see the kid blossom. But if I were to guess realistically, I would say Chase's best defensive season would not be as good as Battier's worst career defensive season.

But that's not the point, because we know Chase is a much better scorer.

I think Chase is a great player, I just think it's hard to fit him in on a team where Martin is the SG. While I do see that these guys are putting forth the EFFORT, I just can't see any of the two becoming better than average defenders.

It would be excellent if we could bring in a defensive guy and bring Bud off the bench. However, I think for our team's circumstances, we're better off using his trade value to upgrade at C.