1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Artest "T" Stands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Nov 2, 2008.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Lock if posted of course

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6090496.html

The NBA upheld the technical foul assessed to Rockets forward Ron Artest in Thursday’s game. Artest was given the technical for running to a confrontation after Dallas’ Josh Howard fouled Yao Ming.

The league is still reviewing video the Rockets provided of an incident earlier in the game when Howard tripped Yao.
    Schedule aids McGrady

As difficult as it was for Rockets guard Tracy McGrady to have played the second game in as many nights Thursday, he said Saturday that playing both games, taking a day off and then playing again Saturday might be an ideal schedule for building the strength back in his left leg after missing most of the preseason.

“I think it helps, playing on it, letting it rest and coming back the next day and working on it,” McGrady said. “That’s how you build strength.

“When I’m playing I try not to think about it. I try to go out there and try to be as normal as possible. Sometimes when I make a move in my mind, it’s definitely in the back of my head.”
    Bench players step up

In the first game of the season, the Rockets’ bench combined for 10 points. In the second game, the Rockets reserves had 29. Much of the difference might be attributable to the return of Aaron Brooks, who had 14 points and five assists off the bench, but Rockets coach Rick Adelman said the team will need consistency no matter who plays.

“It’s going to be important for us,” Adelman said. “We need to have consistency there coming off the bench game in, game out. Aaron can give us a lift there. Coming off the bench and being consistent, it really helps us. It adds another dimension in the game for us with the game.”

More than that, Tracy McGrady said it can lift the Rockets to a different echelon.

“That’s what makes a team a great,” he said. “You got to have your starters get off to a great start and a bench that comes in and maintains that. Those guys are creating a lot of energy. In order for us to be good, that’s what we’re going to need.”
    Getting back on defense

In the Rockets preseason game against the Thunder, Oklahoma City had 19 fast break points. In the Rockets’ game Thursday against the Mavericks, they allowed 37 points on the break.

With another game against the Thunder, there was an emphasis on cutting off the break, but Rockets coach Rick Adelman said that more is needed than to just turn around and run fast.

“It’s habits that you have, too. If one of our perimeter people goes to the basket, the other two have to get back, and we weren’t doing that. I think sometimes guys aren’t used to doing it, Tracy (McGrady) and Ron (Artest) in particular. That’s one thing Shane (Battier) always did for us; he was always back.

“We just have to concentrate on it. If you’re not going to the boards, and you see somebody penetrate, you’ve got to get
    Brooks returns early

Fans might have been surprised to see Aaron Brooks play on Thursday after missing three days with an injury that was expected to keep him out as much as three weeks, but even his teammates were stunned during the game.

“Tracy (McGrady) and I couldn’t believe it,” Rockets guard Rafer Alston said. “I said, ‘Are you even taped?’ I thought he was just in uniform on the bench because he didn’t have a jacket (required by the NBA to sit on the bench).”

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It should. I mean I'm glad he did what he did, but he did run up and shove a guy after the situation was already dissolving.

3. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

someone mentioned this before in one of the threads about Shane's value in stopping transition defense...bravo

4. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

You know...it's gotten to the point where I don't even read what Tracy McGrady says....because the guy can say one thing, and 2 seconds later, go 180 degrees and say another thing...

I'm not sure why the Media takes seriously anything that Tracy says anymore...The guy may be a very good player, but he's just not very intelligent.

Having only a highschool diploma is probably why the guy sounds so uneducated.

5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

^ The problem I have with tracy mcgrady is not the stuff he says, but the way he thinks. I mean he exaggerates any and every injury in his mind. Even him saying that "When I'm playing I try not to think about it.....its in the back of my head" just shows that he is constantly over thinking his injuries. Why even talk about it like that? Why not just shrug it off and make it sound like he is stronger than any injury and he will overcome it with ease. If he had that kind of mindset than I know for sure his play would not be as fragile as it has been since post 2004. It's his mindset that holds him back from doing the great things he is capable of. He truly is a prisoner of his own mind.

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Are you blind? Artest didn't shove Howard. Howard actually shoved Artest after Artest ran into him.
    It's such an embarrassment to the league that this call wasn't rescinded. It was a game on national television for everybody to see, and messed it up.

7. mpsniper101

mpsniper101 Member

Seven says it right.. Look at it from here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CB9MlgM3XzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CB9MlgM3XzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I still think Ron didn't have to run in there. He kind of overplayed the whole 'protect your big guy' thing. Everyone knew there was no fight going to happen between Yao and ... that Howard guy.

Still a bad techincal though.

9. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

They should at least suspend Josh Howard one game.

10. joesr

joesr Member

I think your blind. The very first person to get touched by Artest is Howard regardless if it was to move him and JKidd aside or if it was a slight intentional but regardless he was trying to to get to Yao.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can't stand Josh Howard.

12. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

I can't stand the NBA referees. In no other so called "Sport" would such obvious botched referee calls be allowed. NBA is a joke regarding it's referees. It ruins the sport for everyone, and that David Stern allows this to continue is a disgrace. NBA is not 100% sport like MLB or NFL. It's part WWF, part sport.

13. duel128ttvusa

duel128ttvusa Member

okay, if Artest's T stands, then I think the league should give Howard suspension for tripping Yao. otherwise it wouldn't be fair for the Rockets!!!

I was watching the game live, and I watched the video of Artest's T for numerous times but I still can't find out why Artest was given a T.

That just pure BS

14. ILoveTheRockets

O well... Artest is a man, and can take care of his situations. a T isn't the end of this team.

15. HombreDeHierro

that makes YOU sound uneducated. college degrees don't suddenly make you smart.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. I know college graduates that sound like they never even went to high school.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It happened so fast that I missed it during the game.

In the youtube clip, you can see Artest give Howard a one handed push before pulling Yao away. The refs would never call that on T-Mac or Yao, but a technical is crazy. It's a double standard.

Five years ago, Ron would have shoved Howard hard to the ground, and give the refs a real reason to give him a T. This is a different Ron.

18. jedicro

jedicro Member

So...Artest is trying to get to Yao...and that's a shove?

Artest didn't shove anybody. He ran up and tried to get through Kidd and Howard to get to Yao. Look at Kidd's reaction it tells the whole story. At first he looks like he angry at Artest for running up but then quickly just nods to Artest and starts moving.

Howard's the one that shoved Artest.

The league..or at least whoever made the decision to uphold that T is an idiot.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The very first person to put their hand on someone is Artest. Howard wasn't between he and Yao, and he gives Howard a slight push and hOward pushes his hand off of him. He deserved the technical.

20. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

I miss Shane Battier.