1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC Solomon] Best advice for Rockets? Avoid trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If it's been posted, please lock it up.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6841105.html

Now what do you think of your Rockets?

A championship is out of the question, unless a historic run is in the offing.

Their making the playoffs is questionable unless they right themselves soon — with a little more offense and a lot more defense.

Unless the Rockets do something dramatic in the next couple of weeks, the most asked question in May might be: Did they do all they could to avoid a wasted season?

No stars? No hope? No sellouts?

No reason to freak out.

With Tracy McGrady exiled, the Rockets are sitting on a hefty expiring contract that is among the most desired in the NBA. Teams from coast to coast would love to trade their undesirables for the Rockets' unwanted.

Let 'em beg.

The Rockets should stand pat, stay put, or whatever phrase you prefer that translates to their not doing anything out of a sense of desperation because of recent poor play.

My favorite is hold whatcha got there. (My daddy taught me that one.)

Sometimes the smart thing to do is nothing.

If the Rockets, 24-21 and just three games out of the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference, were going to do something, I could give them a list of some 20 players for whom they should be trying to work a trade.

But if Daryl Morey put a “trading” block on his phone so that he received calls with proposals involving only those players, he would have a slew of unused minutes.

Oh, he is undoubtedly getting calls from teams willing to take out the Rockets' garbage. The problem is they want to leave a couple of bags of trash behind. And some of those stinking piles of you-know-what would be around (costing the Rockets money) next year and beyond.

McGrady for the 76ers' Andre Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert? That doesn't pass the smell test.

I don't have a dollar in the race, but I might cringe every time Les Alexander had to sign checks that added up to $12 million a year for the likes of Dalembert. Dalembert, an athletic 6-11 center who delivers about eight points and 10 rebounds a game, would be the extra trash in a deal with Philadelphia for the sometimes-spectacular Iguodala.
    Risking Les' money

And yes, Alexander would have to sign a check every 1st and 15th, because direct deposit isn't allowed on such deals. There is some silly government regulation about needing regular written proof that you actually agreed to such a deal. (The unofficial word is Kelvin Cato used to have to go to Alexander's house and take a picture with his handwritten-in-red-ink check every Friday.)

Iguodala would bring something the Rockets need — an explosive scorer on the wing. He is more consistently dangerous offensively than any player on the Rockets' roster. But at some $14 million a year for the next four seasons, Iguodala, without improvement, is likely to soon be overpaid as well. (He'd be knocking on Alexander's door to collect $16 million in 2013-14.)

In a way, if the Rockets bring on a funky contract or two just to get rid of McGrady's deal, his scent will linger for years.

Let's not mention the luxury-tax implication of adding money to the payroll, or that Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry will be due for raises at the end of the season. Do you want to risk losing Scola to add Iguodala and Dalembert? Didn't think so.

Just hold whatcha got there. There will be ups and down during the season, and the team is in a down right now, having lost eight of 12 games in 2010.

But it makes sense for the Rockets to ride out McGrady's contract and build on what they have in the offseason.

They have one of the best big men in the game joining the team next season. Some guy named Yao Ming. With $23 million freed up from McGrady's contract, a big splash might be made, but at the very least Morey will be able to add a top-level complementary piece or two.
    Look to free agency

He'll shoot for the stars but probably settle for the moon. Most likely the Rockets will be better with what they can get in free agency (and the draft, especially if they fall into the lottery) than what they could get via trade in the next few weeks.

Eventually — the trade deadline is Feb. 18 — Morey will get calls involving offers that might tempt him to think more about today than tomorrow. Now is not the time to get cute. Something tells me he is smart enough to have a “trade” block on his phone to keep him from making a mistake.

1 person likes this.
  2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

How can a Chronicle Rockets beat writer be so misinformed? He can't possibly think Morey would a take trash contract if there was any possibility of us having max money in the offseason.....Maybe Bima should shoot him an email :grin:

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

That what I was thinking, doesn't this guy ever read clutchfans.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

First time I've ever read anything that makes sense from Solomon. No use getting our hands tied down for years.

5. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see just how much young talent it might take to "knock Morey over" in order to take on those contracts.

Is Thaddeus Young alone enough? Speights? or will it take more than one of Philly's young prospects to make it worthwhile?

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I agree most of Solomon's points. But, I think the rockets should try to trade Battier or Ariza for expiring contract + 1st round pick. In this way, the rockets could hav enough cap space to sign a star player this summer.

1 person likes this.
  7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Best advice for Chronicle?? Trade Solomon.

Seriously, as someone already said, how can a professional writer who covers the Rockets be so misinformed?

8. Francis 4 ever

It all depends on what Les is willing to spend.

9. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I hope he does his homework before writing each article.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Solomon apppears ignorant to the cap situation for next season. The rockets will in fact NOT have 23 million in cap space as he alludes after the cap is reduced, and are not likely to be in the running for any of the big splash free agents this summer. So the best chance of aquiring any big splash type player is via trade.

11. LifeisButaDream

DM must be still getting low balled. :mad:

12. BucMan55

Well, at least low is better than blue. :eek:

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

houston needs another paper or two more in circulation there.....this is like the russian lada having to compete not with other car makers, but with the alternative choice of slogging through 4 feet of snow in toe-blistering russian made shoes through the frigid russian winter

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is just silly.

Um, Jerome - to get anywhere near max money to add a "top-level complimentary piece" (or two, LOL) - you would have to renounce Scola and perhaps Lowry in that scenario as well. Amazing that some folks won't do even the simplest of math for all the time they spend crafting the rest of the story.

15. BucMan55

I liked the old Houston Post, but the Chronicle was better back then as well. A little competition is a good thing.

16. joesr

joesr Member

hopefully he is talking about 23 mil being gone from writing checks to a player and not free space.

17. theprof

theprof Member

Its Solomon so it really doesnt count. Agree on the low ball comment. Seems that we are having a back and forth with Philly. That said missing out on Bosh to get Iggy and Dalembert is a huge mistake. I would think that DM is all over it.

18. joesr

joesr Member

I dont think thats what he is saying.

More along the ling if you trade TMac, money will still be on the books and you wont be able to resign Luis or Kyle without being over the LT

While if you dont trade then you will have enough to resign one of them without going over.

Come guys, damn. Just cause you dont like the guy its not that hard to understand.

19. Prince

Prince Member

and do you think this guy is writing an article for Morey???????????

this news piece is for un-informed rockets fans worldwide.

20. herro

herro Member

do the absolute opposite of whatever Solomon says

guy's a grade A joke