1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Rockets taking look at Eliyahu, their 2nd pick from 2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4923534.html

Rockets to take look at Israeli forward
    Eliyahu hopes to be first from country in NBA

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Lior Eliyahu, whom the Rockets picked up with the Orlando Magic's second-round pick last season, arrived in Houston on Tuesday and will begin working out with Rockets coaches today in preparation for next month's summer league in Las Vegas.

Though the Rockets got the rights to Eliyahu, expecting him to need at least two more seasons in Europe, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Tuesday that Eliyahu's performance in workouts and summer league could determine if Eliyahu, a 6-9, 225-pound forward, earns a spot on next season's roster.

That would be fine with Eliyahu, but he said he also needs the next few weeks to learn if he is ready.

"In Israel it is the dream to be the first to play in the NBA," Eliyahu said. "I played last year for Maccabi Tel Aviv and had a pretty good season. (The Rockets) wanted for me, and any player, to come here and see the difference in playing in the NBA."

Eliyahu moved to Maccabi, one of the European powers, last season and had a solid year as a quick, energy-oriented power forward. His shooting touch and range are questionable, though he was effective in the lane.

"I don't like to talk about myself," Eliyahu said. "I can tell you only the bad things. I need to get bigger. I think the best place to do it is here. They know how to work here in the gym and fitness room. The best place to get some muscles is here. The second is to get more aggressiveness. But I think I am now evolving.

"I grew up, I think. I am a different player than a year ago. I played Euroleague and for Maccabi with a lot of pressure. Maccabi is the team of the country. All the country is behind Maccabi. All the time people talk and ask, 'Will he be the first.' "

In a few weeks, they might find out.

2. Sextuple Double

Anything that helps. I hope Shane could tutor him into becoming a defensive beast, or at the very least, a weakside terror like AK-47.

3. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

A Euroleague star could not shine in our team, I wonder how much an average Europe player could help?

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think these European players deserve at least a look. Since they are not from the states, their motivation to make it in the NBA is that much stronger. He;s a 2nd round pick so it doesn't really hurt to bring him over and see what he has. Anyways, from what I've seen of this kid, he is very athletic. He knows how to attack the basket and finish strong with a dunk, which is something we are lacking right now. He also does a good job of moving without the ball, slashes well and gets in good positions on the floor where his teammates can find him and easily score.

5. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

This is definetly a low risk situation. He is pretty much off the radar so he can work on his game with no time frame or big contract to worrie about. I wouldnt be suprised if he can contribute spot minutes at the four with his length and athletic abilities being something that rocket do not have in the front court. If he is able to put on 20 pounds or so he will already be less of a defensive liabilty than Novak and more athletic than Chuck.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I would probably prefer if Eliyahu stayed in Israel for one or two more years. He is still very young (21 or 22) and will only get better the longer he plays with Maccabi Tel Aviv, playing against the top European League competition. I would rather have him come over at age 24 as a more developed player than to have him waste away on the bench for two years or to play in the NBDL against the same (or worse) competition than in the Euroleague.

7. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I agree, but if the coaching staff feels like he will be able to contribute, I would trust that by keeping him in the states they intend to have him play a decent amount this upcoming year. A lot more than Novak I would hope.

8. MONON

MONON Member

By playing in the summer league, he'll better understand what he needs to improve on during the Euro season.

9. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

That's a great attitude to have. I hope he makes it.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Tell that to Bryan Colangelo and the Raptors. They're routinely raiding Euroleague now.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Stash him and develop him until he is ready ... good attitude ... but who knows if he will become someone we can use.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it will be a good gauge to where he is. Like the story said, they want these kids to get a feel for the NBA, its not like he's going to make the team in the near future. He does have a good attitude though.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member