1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic ROCKETS NOTES: Updates on Alexander, Lucas, Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5183444.html

Owner watches as team goes to work

By FRAN BLINEBURY and JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander took his place watching a training camp practice Tuesday, as has long been his custom.

The difference? He enjoyed it.

Alexander did not know if Rick Adelman's style would be better for the Rockets than Jeff Van Gundy's, but he did know it was more fun to watch.

"Guys are playing hard, hustling," Alexander said. "It's a different kind of camp than Jeff's.

"There's more emphasis on playing than drills. And the coach is teaching them new things, so they have to listen real hard because it's different.

"I don't think I know enough to know one is better than the other. Hopefully, it's better because there is a new coach, and you hope his system works. Or maybe they're the same. I really have no idea."

But he was certain he enjoyed watching.

"It's much more fun to watch guys play — see them shoot, see who shoots well — than to watch drills," Alexander said. "Drills are really boring. I'm not saying they're not really needed, but they're boring."

Take what comes

In the middle of the summer, when John Lucas III asked the Rockets to trade him, the last place he expected to be in October was at training camp.

"I'm here," Lucas said. "It's basketball season, and it's training camp time, and this is what I do. So I'm here to make the best of the season."

Lucas, who played sparingly last season for the Rockets, looked at the offseason acquisitions, counted up the seven players under contract who could play point guard, then asked general manager Daryl Morey to move him.

"It was nothing against the Rockets," Lucas said. "I can just see the situation with so many people who play my position.

"I want to play. I don't want to be stuck someplace where all I do is sit. It was fun to be out there today. I love the new coaching staff.

"Do they have a place for me? Who knows? I'm just here to play. It is what it is."

Francis at home

He had been gone for three seasons, but on his first day back on the court in a Rockets practice jersey, guard Steve Francis knew he was back home.

"Well, not here exactly. Not in Austin," Francis said, laughing. "But it does feel good to be back in Houston with the Rockets.

"I never moved. I can say it was because of no state income tax. But I really love the city. I can't deny that.

"I've been treated well by everybody, and it just feels right to be playing here again."

Love that James

The praise heard in Austin on Tuesday might not have come from the most expert observer, but it was praise. And the speaker, if not a coach or a player, does have quite a bit of pull in the Rockets organization.

"Mike James looked great," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said after Tuesday's practice. "He shot the ball really, really well, made almost every shot."

But James did not seem concerned with praise, no matter its source.

"Hey, you know, they brought me back," James said. "I'm pretty sure I caught their eye when they traded for me. I can't worry about that. I'm not focused on who is saying I'm good, who's saying I'm bad. The only thing I'm focusing on is what I'm doing on that court."

Odds and ends

With Yao Ming not expected at practice until Friday, coach Rick Adelman used lineups featuring centers Dikembe Mutombo and Jackie Butler more, but also without a center, using power forwards in the middle. ... Center Dikembe Mutombo, who does not play in the offseason, to coach Rick Adelman about his first practice: " 'I survived.' That's what he told me," Adelman said. "I told him, as much a veteran as he is, he should have signed late if he didn't want to run." ... By the numbers: Rick Adelman and center Dikembe Mutombo are heading into their 17th seasons as a coach and player, respectively.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Really, Les? What will you say next in 3 years when you insincerely force this coach out and say it was of his own volition like you did with the previous two? Or is this team "the greatest ever assembled." Just shuttup and write the checks.

#2 thacabbage, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  3. matty101

matty101 Member

Nice read

Nice to see things seem smooth

Cant wait for opening tipppppppppppppp

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

we don't have to worry about that. he doesn't suck like jvg.

5. bubbachuck

bubbachuck Member

I'm always thinking that we do need another backup center, Mutombo is too old and we have too many point guards.

Need one backup center!

6. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Jackie Butler isn't backup center?

7. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yeah,glad to see camp startin' offseason was sooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooring...

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree. Mutombo did a great job last year and of course I'm happy to have him one more year in Houston. But we have to remember that he's 41. For a sportsman it's very big so I would also say we need a backup center.

Yes he is and after watchin' his summer leauge games I really think he can be the guy and Adelman should give him his minutes. He is very strong on the low block and he's also a pretty good defender.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'm glad we have one of the few owners committed to pursuing championships.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I wonder what acute Rockets notes look like.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hear Hear !!!

DD

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How many teams have owners who are not committed to winning championships? I can think of a couple, but I would say that better than half the owners are playing to win.

13. uchlha

uchlha Member

u jvgs wife?

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am sure there are a lot out there but how many are willing to take the risks to try to keep the team in the hunt year to year? granted not all of the moves have worked out (pippin,griffin) but at least they are trying. like take cleveland they need a few more stable pieces and lebron was still able to take them to the finals (granted had luck on his side with the teams he faced) last year they havent done diddly squat this year to get more help for lebron. Cedric Simmons? yeah i dont see that happening.

i am just glad we have Les as the owner despite what everyone elsesays

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

cleveland had one year of trying to improve their team and it resulted in overpaying for an injury prone larry hughes. imo only reason they are even decent is because of LBJ

16. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I hate all of HOuston's owners. They don't know jack squat about the franchises and sports they're involved in. Oliver Luck is the only good manager of a houston franchise, and he's not even owner.

17. rocketsmetalspd

I hope the Rockets make a move to get the roster down to 15 by the end of next week. I am sure JLIII and Rafer would like that very much.

18. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

I was actually impressed by what Les had to say. Too many owners think they are Coaches and GMs.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Really? Who are the others in this elite group of ownership? Other than Donald Sterling and the mess out in Atlanta, there aren't any owners not committed to pursuing championships.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For maximum enjoyment, Leslie should incorporate blue back into the Rockets color scheme and have "Sweet Georgia Brown" playing on a continuous loop on the T-Center PA system.