1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Rockets' future: Is there a point yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 7, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If it's been posted, please delete.

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/05/rockets_future_is_there_a_poin.html

On the day before training camp opened last October, another NBA team probably could have had Rafer Alston for plane fare and a bag of old sweatsocks.

On the last night of the playoffs, Alston limped off the floor in the first half with a badly sprained ankle and the Rockets were through.

Now, either Rafer made the kind of transformation that usually occurs only to superheroes with help from phone booths and spider bites or the Rockets still need big help at point guard.

Back in camp, Alston ran circles around Mike James, Steve Francis, John Lucas III and the rookie Aaron Brooks. It was not exactly like elbowing one of the four famous heads off Mt. Rushmore. So you toss the veteran Bobby Jackson into the current mix and the Rockets are still scaring no one. Except, maybe, themselves when the playoffs role around next year.

And simply expecting Stevie Franchise to bounce back is wishful thinking. He's older, he's slower. At this point, he's like buying a lottery ticket.

Let's give Alston his due for having to be the man running the offense for most of the time on most of the night. His defense improved. His shot selection seemed to improve.

But when you got to the end of the season, how much really was different? Alston's field goal percentage (.394), 3-point percentage (.351), assists (5.3) and points (13.1) were virtually unchanged from the year before. His shooting percentages were in line with his entire career.

What happened was that Alston's game - as was the case with others - elevated during the 22-game win streak and there might have been some inclination to think (hope?) he'd reached another level. That usually doesn't happen in a player's ninth season and in this case it didn't.

There are other needs the Rockets could address over the summer - a wing man who can shoot, a big man to back up Yao Ming. While the Rockets are convinced that Brooks' speed can make up for his lack of stature, it is too big a question mark for a team that needs to take a big step forward right now.

In their offense, with Yao and Tracy McGrady drawing so many double-teams, they need a point guard who can bury the open shot at more than a 39 percent clip.

For all he did, for all he meant to the Rockets this season, that's still not Rafer Alston.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Alston is a steady backup, we need a starter.

DD

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Its not easy as that.

Players like CP3 and Deron Williams dont come along at the 25th position in the draft and acquiring Calderon is unrealistic. I just don't see it happening unless Morey pulls somehting out of his hat.

It seems like Rafer will be our starting pg next season, and Im actually ok with it. :eek:

5. Asian Sensation

Couldn't have said it better myself.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wonder if there is any other professional newspaper without any proofreaders whatsoever.

7. duteman

duteman Member

I have high hopes in Stevie Francis coming back to useful form(starter quality)...i'm willing to hear the disses but I do believe he'll prove you all wrong

8. daernoth

daernoth Member

I dont have any issues with Rafer anymore. I just think he needs a reliable backup who is ALSO a point guard rather than a 2. All the guys that play the point for us are 2s really.

9. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

You just gotta believe. Baron Davis battled knee problems before becoming who he is now. Age-wise, Francis is still in his prime. He can still bounce back.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have no problem with Alston starting. Just knock his minutes down to the upper 20s and get a competent backup (I know easier said than done but..) who can give you 20 minutes a night and I think the talent that this team has at other positions more than makes up for the deficiency at PG.

The league is filled with awesome PG but the Rockets probably cannot land one. That's ok as long as their All Star center and borderline All Star shooting guard stay on the floor. If those guys aren't healthy it doesn't matter who is at PG.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Matt Bullard just talked about he had the same surgery of Francis. He said you needed to rehab like crazy in order to get back into playing professional basketball. If you dont have the dedication, you are done with your career. Charles Barkley retired for the same injury and surgery.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The backcourt is definitely where we need the most help. It's tough to say whether we need another tall swingman who can score or a PG, but either would help a lot.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Don't need a world beater like Paul or Deron Williams, just at least need someone better than Alston. Someone between an All-Star and Rafer, cuz thats the level Rafer played during the streak. Its still not easy but they have to look hard at who's out there.

Right, can't just expect Francis to bounce back. Not sure when Matt Bullard had his injury but Barkley had it way in the late stages of his career, in what could have been his final season anyway. And Barkley was well, not that well conditioned an athlete as we know... Plus he got the highest amount of money the final year of his contract when he was bought out than he ever made in any single season, which he gladly accepted.

Makes it a little easier to say Francis is "only" 30 and has a chance.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not All Star but considered for Team USA... Kirk Hinrich. Coming off a career worst season and the Bulls having to deal with re-signing Deng and Gordon while being stuck with Larry Hughes's contract could see him traded.

With the right package combined with signing a few rookie for the minimum the Rockets could reduce their team salary while the Bulls get to dump salary in the long run.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one should expect Steve to bounce back, but there is a chance he might.......

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the Rockets are just looking to upgrade the point, then they're not looking at the whole picture.

The Rockets biggest need is THIRD SCORER. Whether the guy is a pg, sf, pf is irrelevant. Alston is a capable starting PG. He just can't be the guy who shoots 10+ shots a game.

Our biggest problem last year was our backcourt combo of T-Mac/Alston(or Jackson when Rafer was injured) not only shot a very poor %, but shot A LOT.

Continously relying on poor shooters to shoot a lot is just asking for the offense to suck.

Taking care of this problem could come from upgrading Alston, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. So the alternative? Simply take away his shots by getting someone who can shoot a higher percentage in volume.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I'm not. Rafer as our STARTING point guard will never get us over the hump.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn that is optimism, but the reality is even if bounces back to old Steve does that help.... the young Steve didn't play D, couldn't distribute the ball, turned it over at a ridiculous rate and doesn't knock down the long jumer that well and most importantly doesn't have the ego to play second and in this case 3rd fiddle.........when dreams turn to nightmares.....

maybe dreaming of Calderon is unrealistic, but thinking Steve is the solution is a nightmare.... there must be better options of there.... maybe even someone like Duhon or Sessions, one of the million pgs memphis has.......

we certainly need an upgrade Alston would be nice as a back-up and i am not sure Brooks and his height is championship starting material

19. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

How bout Bobby J and Luther (or Jackie Butler's contract) for TJ Ford? In a way, it doesn't sound like enough for Ford but keep in mind he's one fall away from being medically done. You might have to sub AB for Luther or throw in the 1st rounder. I'm not sure. Ford's not a good 3 pt shooter but his overall pct was 46 this year and Adelman's O isn't predicated on the 3. For Toronto, they need to get out of Ford's next 4 yrs. They want to throw big money at Calderon. BJ gives them the expiring money and a quality veteran backup.

I see Pietrus or M. Barnes as the best options for the wing guy with athleticism we need. I don't think the backup center is as huge as everybody makes it out to be. You have to assume Yao will be healthy for the playoffs if we have a shot at a championship anyway. With Yao, Landry, Scola and Hayes, is a backup C getting much PT in the postseason? Plus, I think this team is much better equipped for injuries next year. Landry and Scola will be factors all year and I assume we can upgrade a couple of other spots. Plus, there's not the learning curve we needed to get acquainted with Adelman.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Everyone's sleeping on Brooks. I don't necessarily think he's the answer, but the team has been successful with less talent and experience in that spot before.