1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets fans accept mediocrity — and that's exactly what they get

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given that there are 30 teams in the NBA (and roughly the same most major pro leagues in the US), I guess there are quite a bit of ANGRY sports fans running around the country.

So Solomon is saying that Rockets didn't win because fans are nto ANGRY enough? What exactly would anger do? Is Solomon saying that the Rockets front office haven't tried hard enough because fans are not angry enough?

Philly has the reputation of having angry fans, and what have the Sixers done? NY fans have been angry for roughly a decade (and NY media have been mercilessly beating down the franchise -- deservedly, some say), and what have the Knicks won?

Are San Antonio fans known for their anger either before or during the Duncan era?

The Rockets haven't won because they haven't had the talent and health to do so during the recent seasons. They-- players, coaches, front office-- have tried, hard, but just have not succeeded. I don't see how angrier fans improves, for example, the quality of personnell decisions.

Angrier fans don't improve franchises. You know what they are good for, though? Increase readership of local paper columnists. Solomon is just a guy dreaming he's working for one fo the NY papers in a city where fans and sportswriters compete to trash the local teams at every possible opportunity. This is not really the media environment in most places.

1 person likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You have not been paying attention I see. Our biggest problem has been no height at Center, we have a lotto pick and the return of Yao to help solve that.

We don't have the cap space? Well guess what, Coangelo (Raptors GM) has said that if it comes down to it, they will work on a mutual deal with Bosh...which means they get something back for him, he goes where he wants, and he gets his money. Sign and Trades.

While I am not on the "Aaron Brooks is the next big thing!" bandwagon. He's played better than Lowry. Also Lowry is a RFA, so I don't know why you are so worried about losing him. If the Rockets WANT to keep him, they will match the deal a team offers.

With WHAT has happened, Morey made off and kept this team in excellent shape.

He has basically rebuild. Look at other teams. It takes them YEARS to rebuild.

3. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Why is Solomon's garbage allowed to be thread worthy is beyond me... He whines when we do good and whines when we do bad... Hell, we can be contenders and he'll still whine like a ****...

4. atwood

atwood Member

That's his way to draw attention, pointless argument...

5. Raven

Raven Member

He's trolling for page hits the same way that the other bozo does. I canceled my subscription to the Chronicle years ago and their crappy sport's commentary was one of the reasons. My advice, ignore them, don't post about them, and don't waste time thinking about them.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

First of all big guy, 99% of the time in the NBA you have to DRAFT a superstar. The Spurs tanked a season for a shot at Duncan and by some miracle they won a "LOTTERY" for the pick. The Spurs essentially won the lottery again when they selected Manu Ginobli with the 57th pick overall in 1999. Do you think they knew he would be an all star at pick 57? Do you think the Mavs knew they were getting future Hall of Famer when they drafted Dirk at the number 9 pick in the 1998 draft? Hell they actually traded down from the 6th pick & risked losing him when they got him! The Lakers lucked into Kobe at the 13th pick in 1996 or being able to trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol?

The Rockets had their shot and got an often injured giant in Yao and traded for a guy who could put up stats but couldn't win big in Mcgrady.

Carroll Dawson made this mess. He passed on Rashard Lewis 3x '98(The same year the Mavs got Dirk) & Richard Jefferson & Joe Johnson for Eddie Griffin in the 2001 NBA Draft. Also Dawson traded Rudy Gay, a 20ppg scorer, to Memphis in 2006 for a glue guy in Shane Battier. These are MASSIVE blunders by the previous regimes that have shaped the present.

Dawson is mistakenly credited with building the 1994-1995 Rockets when in actuality it was Steve Patterson, Tod Leiweke, and Bob Weinhaur who manned those GM posts.

Morey has a shot to fix it. Dawson had multiple chances and was too incompetent to pick the right guys.

The Rockets are an easy mark for cheap shot artists like yourselves. Most times there is A LOT of luck involved when building a champion. Luck is one thing the Rockets haven't had in LOONG time!

7. role_50

role_50 Member

hard to disagree with someone when you've caught yourself saying the same exact thing. why is morey given so much credit when he nor adelman have won a championship. is it really a surprise the rockets lack defense. how many defensive teams have adelman coached? what about the rockets other free agents? why don't they sign and trade everyone that vangundy brought to houston because before its all said and done, we won't recognize half the roster from last year's playoff team which all we needed was a inside presence, now this. accepting mediocrity leads to watching someone else play in the playoffs and waiting for next year! come on next year!

8. redao

redao Member

The mediocrity was delivered by Mr. Les.

What fans can do about it?

Either accept it or donate money to that SOB billionaire.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

From what I understand, the Portland teams that went to the Finals and were forced to battle a pretty good player we know as Michael Jordan were good defensively.
    And I literally cannot comprehend your ranting on Van Gundy. At all. Speak English, please.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

that SOB spent:

3 million on Brian Cook (to get Lowry)

close to $10 million to buy draft picks (including Budinger, Llull)

you may not like his stance on Yao but he's been a damn smart owner by just letting Morey do his thing.

11. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

So what he's saying is that his 12 year old nephew knows more about Rockets basketball than he does... Glad the Queen felt like he had to write a lengthy column to prove it.

12. role_50

role_50 Member

Van gundy put together good defensive teams together in houston, the rockets struggle defensively and adelman has never won a championship.(conprende?) portland struggled in the finals with arguably more talent. once clyde got away from adelman, he won a championship in houston. lets talk more recent. Sacramento strikes me as a defensive team, why not mention that.(not)

13. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

No one prefers "mediocrity" over "excellency". Rox fans are no fool. Many fans understand basketball better than some so-called "journalists". They understand that Rome is not built over night. The organization is moving in the right direction, and that's why we are still pumped for the next season.

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

So he's buddies with John Lopez? No wonder his columns are so awful.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

so PointForward writes for the Chronicle. Now I get it.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

It's pretty easy to look back and say you made a lot of mistakes by not taking certain players here and there. But the reality is...you DON'T REALLY KNOW how these players turn out at the time of the draft!!! So THAT in itself is a matter of LUCK too. Who knew Kobe turn out to be the best in the league?? Who knew Dirk and Manu is going to be a star?? Nobody!! You have your share of luck. Heck even if you get the top 3 picks, you still don't know if the player turn out to be extremely good or really good? Or maybe he's a decent player, but not a superstar?? Maybe he's a garbage player like Kwanm (spell check) Brown? Rockets have their own share of fortune too like gettin Scola for the cheap and Lowry and Brooks and now maybe Budinger turn out to be something special.

17. Nero

Nero Member

Can we all please contribute for a one-way plane ticket to NY for jerome? The guy is desperate to be writing there, and not here. He is practically begging the kron to fire his stupid ass. I say, give him his wish.

Memo to jerome: if anything, this team over-achieved this year. How is it that you are a 'sports writer' and do not actually WATCH the sport about which you are writing?

My guess is, at some point in the not-too-distant past, Morey must have said something brutally honest to this loser, and now he is on a vendetta.

jerome: nobody likes you, especially not Rockets fans. Go away

18. choujie

choujie Member

But all that is under one rule of thumb: stay below luxury tax by the end of the season. Cleveland's owner spent a huge amount of money since Lebron got there, they went from bottom feeder to contender. Orland's owner spent a huge amount of money since Howard was there, they went from bottom feeder to contender. Cuban spent a huge amount of moeny as always, they keep contending. Lakers and Celtics went over Luxury Tax threadhold to win Championship.

Lex has never went over Luxury Tax threadhold since he got Yao/Tmac, and JVG/Yao/Tmac took all the blame for failing to advance in playoffs without a bench, with Rafer Alston as the third scorer.

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Its like he just dropped in (from Venus :) ), saw this and last years playoff standings and thought he would qualify as a critic.

"Venus, take back your queen"

Numbnuts.

20. redao

redao Member

He got out of Rafer's $4M contract by giving $3M to Cook.

Spending $$$ on 3 2nd round draft picks = exact mediocrity. Plus he's earned $30M medical insurance from Yao and TMAC.