1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CHRONIC) Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Sep 29, 2010.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm not following your logic. The current CBA expires after this season. This season officially ends when the last game of the 2011 finals is over. The contracts of the players drafted in the '11 draft will be based on the new CBA. If the owners and players can't come to an agreement then there won't be a new CBA in place and there would likely be a lockout. If no CBA is in place then no new contracts can be signed. The risk for an early entry player is that they declare for the draft, get drafted but can't sign and therefore don't get paid until the lockout is over. Worst case the player can no longer play in the NCAA and they are locked out of the NBA and not being paid. Seems like a legitimate risk to me.

Brooks and all of the other free agents are trying to sign under the current CBA because of the speculation that the new CBA will be less favorable to the players. That too makes sense but the '11 draftees don't have that option. The current CBA will be dead and gone before they are ever drafted.

2. aelliott

Ok, simple queston: if it's that easy to do then why didn't teams simply take Lowrys man and put him in the paint? Neither Portland nor LA did that.

You can't penetrate with a big man posting up? Tony Parker sure seemed to be able to do it with Duncan posting. Wade certainly did it when he played with Shaq. The opportunities are still there. Sure maybe the big man steps over and helps out but if so there's an easy dump off pass available. If the penetrator is willing to pass why wouldn't that be effective? How many gimme baskets did Steve Nash get for Stoudamire every game? Nash would penetrate and force Stoudamire's man to stop him and then give the ball to Amare for an easy dunk.

Hmm...maybe because Alston wasnt' that good at penetrating and finishing? So because something was effective against Alston then it will definitely work against Lowry? That makes no sense to me, they are completely different players.

I'm not even sure that we have one guy that very good at getting the ball to Yao and you're tying to tell me that we have 4 guys that can feed Yao the ball? Where have they been? The PG is the quarterback of the team and it's his job to run the offense, so yes it is Brooks job to get the ball to our best offensive option.

Teams attack Yao by fronting him with a big and putting another big behind him. How does Brooks 3pt shooting change that? Portland is suddenly going to have Aldridge stop fronting Yao and go guard Brooks? Who are all of these teams that are doubling on Yao with their PG?

First of all, Yao is our best scorer not Brooks. Martin also scores more and is much more efficient in doing it.

I know that the West is good. It's not as good as it was the last few years but it's good. I also know that Dallas has exactly one 20 pt scorer (Nowitzke) and nobody else that averages even 17 pts/game.

You're looking at only the offensive side of the ball. As I've said numerous times Brooks is a good scorer but there is also a defensive side to the game and Brooks is very weak there. It's actually possible to go with a guy that scores less and still strengthen your team.

1 person likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We have guys that are decent at it, but none great. Actually McGrady was the best at it. The problem is mostly on Yao and his bad hands.

Not in our system its not. The PG does setup the play by calling it out but our offense (starting) is generally initiated by one of two plays. A high post player sets up the cutters and motion and the movement starts the play or its a straight dump down to Yao. Problem is when Yao is fronted the ball has to swing around to the free side and dump in to Yao. It usually ends up being Battier who does it, because he knows where to be to have the best angle to dump it down to Yao. We do not run an offense where the PG uses his playmaking ability to get shots, not sure why people think we do. Our second unit does because its mostly run and gun and transition play, but not with our starters.

Not sure what you have been watching, but it is often the blindside defender who tries to sneak in and slap the ball away from Yao. Fisher did it often in the Lakers series. Sometimes its a big, others not.

4. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Um, check the draft day review.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Really, i thought the season went through the accounting season...ie June 30th. guess not. learn something new every day.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My biggest problem in aelliots logic is when he compares lowry and his ability to wade,parker and other great players. You know why parker can penetrate even with duncan out there? Parker has elite quickness,finishing ability,and a very good mid range jumper. Did i also mention how duncan moves up and down in the post and allows parker freedom to attack? The only thing worse than that is the fact you brought wade and shaq into the conversation,lol. When lowry displays wade's mid range and explosion to the rim,wake me. Lowry with his finishing ability is a 40% shooter. Teams arent respecting your outside shot at 40%. If all you can do is attack the rim, at least be 45-47%.

To me, the growth brooks showed last year after the trade is a better indicator of what he can become vs carrying 2 zeroes like he had to when battier and hayes were both starting.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

I wish I could get a $1 million annual salary job.
    $8million is a little more to me.
    $1 million is just fine.

9. aelliott

Technically you are correct with respect to the CBA year ending on June 30, but for the case of a rookie deal it effectively ends afte the playoffs Here's what I mean:

As you are aware the current CBA enforces a rookie salary scale for drafted players. It also states that the particular salary scale used is the salary scale specified for the first year of the players contract. Since there is no '11-12 rookie salary scale established then rookies can't be signed until that '11-'12 salary scale is establised.

If there is a lockout then a drafted player couldn't sign or be paid by the team until after the lockout when a new CBA is estaablished.

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I wonder if Brooks will play for himself this year or for the team...

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Me too. If he resorts to selfish stuff,he will be traded.

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I just don't hope Aaron Brooks mentioning his contract results into Rick purposely giving Lowry more playing time, or starting Brooks for three quarters and benching Brooks throughout the whole 4th quarter or anything, like what he used to do back in the day for that "other" team. I mean for chrissakes! He benched Gerald Wallace in favor of Lawrence Funderburke!!!! :eek:

13. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Doubt it and the minute he even tries that nonsense. Adelman will bench his ass and start Lowry.

Either way, I see him as trade bait for an upgrade at the wing position.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to see you posting again, heyp.

aelliott already covered the timing issue.

The other reason underclassmen would drop out of the draft is for development reasons. Regardless of CBA expectations, The worst case scenario for an unpolished but talented type of player (which most rookies, especially those going pro early, are), would be to come out and get immediately hit by a lockout. Sitting out of organized basketball for a year can be bad for anyone(Shawn Kemp agrees), but I'd venture to say it'd be worst for new rookies. They also risk injury trying to stay in shape, but without time to get back to full strength in a safe setting (college) and without the security of a contract.

I'm actually curious to see what they do with rookie contracts in the new CBA. The previous CBA gave more leverage to the owners by making the last 2 years team options as opposed to guaranteed. Typically, the players' union is incentivized to protect existing players (ie, not rookies), and was probably relatively ambivalent to that concession.

On the other hand, veterans can sometimes get pushed aside by youngsters who are under their rookie contracts and come cheap for four years. I could see the players pushing to shorten rookie contracts by a year. That'd be good for the obvious superstars, who can get a new max deal a year earlier.

I guess we'll find out eventually what happens.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Here is my deal with the way the rockets have been handling contracts lately and maybe this comes from the top,not morey. I understand the letting the market set price thing, problem is, sometimes teams act like the raiders and screw the market up. When I look at football, the Eagles never let the market set the price and they get their young players way under market value. Why? Every athlete fears injury in every sport,guaranteed contract or not. So when the eagles go at a guy 2 yrs in when he has 2 yrs later for an extension,the guy takes the money. I truly beleive if at the start of free agnecy scola wouldve been offered 7m per, the rockets would have gotten him for that price,but since they waited and the overseas ball club and gooden and other guys over got more with the bump in the cap. I think the whole apocalyptic effect and soon to be doomed cap is overstated just like it was this summer. Basketball is as healthy now as it has been in a long time. If the rockets know or have an idea brooks value is anywhere from 7.5m to 10m under just about any cba. If the rockets offered 8m for 5 yrs, he would jump on it. If they let it play out and they get a similar cba done, minus a yr and 1m on the contract, he will stiil cost about the same,but now a young team like the kings are going to have a great shot at him. They're a small market, but they've always paid player and best believe Brooks will be offered more than the 8m the rockets think he is valued at. Maybe though, the rockets are in oakland a's mode and just recycle younger player when it comes time to pay up and stay avg. The problem is, unlike baseball, 1 impact type player makes a big difference in basketball.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

With Scola (18ft jumper), Battier (corner 3), Martin (efficiency from everywhere), Budinger (excellent 3pt shooter), Lee (excellent 3pt shooter), Patterson (decent shooter all around), Miller (good shooter), and Hill (good midrange shooter near the end of last season), are you seriously still going on about spacing? If we still have Ariza tossing up wholesale bricks, I can see where you might be coming from. This season, with the exception of Chuck (this may change if videos are to be believed) and Jeffries, Yao is all alone in the paint. Also, since when the hell has AB been a playmaker. He is and will always be a scorer. AB is as much a playmaker as Ben Gordon or Nate Robinson. Iggy will improve the Rockets way more than Brooks can ever hope. Thank god you have no influence at all in the Rox FO.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Umm... in case you missed last season and how we ended up in the lottery, I will remind you; even with your great Brooks leading, the Rockets did go nowhere. Our season ended in the lottery, meaning we accomplished last year. If he was so good, he should have at least led us to the playoffs. Before you tell me that he almost did, let me ask you this first; what did that accomplish? I will take a high lottery pick over almost making the playoffs any day.

18. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I can tell you don't know much about basketball. None of the perimeter people you mentioned would get consistent looks without Brooks ability to create. If you think Ben Gordon isn't a playmaker your not a very close follower of the game :rolleyes:

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Did you forget that over 50% of our salary was sitting in streetclothes all year? What it accomplished was giving him confidence that will allow him to be even more effective now that we have a full squad.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

now I know you're a troll.

Ben Gordon? A playmaker? LOL!!!