1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[CHRONIC] NBA lottery draw was a capper on Rockets' mediocre season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 19, 2010.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Darryl banged his mom.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks to the LeBron-Delonte rumor, this joke is going to be around for a long time. :eek:

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I predict more success for Solomon as he once again gets more hits for himself and the Chronicle from people that don't realize his true objective.

He doesn't even fully believe what he's writing. He's just trying to illicit emotions and reactions like he did last time... and the time before that... and the time before that...

If you are bothered by his meaningless blog entries, articles, tweets, etc..., the best way to respond is to not respond at all.

Personally, I couldn't care less, especially since I know that he has no personal investment in this team. He's never been a Rockets fan and there is nothing wrong with that. He's just doing his job. It's your choice to be a sucker, willingly or unwillingly.

1 person likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Heh heh heh.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Bingo! If the legions of Rocketsheep around here are so insecure that any time someone writes or says something that is not extolling the virtues of a team that hasn't done squat for the past decade that they have to work themselves up into tizzy, then they'd better find something else to do while they sit around waiting for Uncle Les and his merry band to get things right.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Which still would not have gotten us a championship, but would have drastically hurt our cap flexibility for this Summer and beyond. The Queen is so damn dumb, he doesn't even understand what Morey is doing. To the idiot casual fan, the Rockets suck because they aren't winning NOW, but educated fans understand that the ultimate goal is a championship not first round eliminations year in and year out.

In brief, his opinions reflect a profound ignorance as to how NBA championship teams are built. He probably gave a thumbs up to every move Isiah Thomas made when he was GM for the Knicks.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

ARTICLE translation: [pretend it's "Solomon's" instead of "Dubya's"]
    [​IMG]
    You, sir, have just made my day. Thank you very much. Please post more. :eek:

I can't stop looking at this .GIF. The guy even sings it to the rhythm! Nice. :grin:

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, there are legitimate discussions to be had as to the Rockets decisions, but when someone approaches the discussion in a r****ded fashion, they deserve to be called out for it whether they are pro-Morey or anti-Morey.

To say that a team that team "hasn't done squat" is a gross generalization given that the team did have multiple 50-win seasons since 2004-2005. You only have to go back to the Rockets team during the Steve Francis era, in which they never even got in the playoffs except for Steve's last year, to know what "squat" really looks like. Also, to not recognize the positive steps that actually transpired over the last season after the team received the devasting news of Yao's injury and to judge it simply by the 42-40 record is also a gross over-simplification. How the Rockets ended up at 42 wins was very much different, say, how the Bobcats got to a similar number of wins.

Finally, it is especially idiotic to say that the lottery result should, one way or another, influence one's take on the season. If Morey made a mistake not getting some 7 footer I am guessing someone like Brendan Haywood is what Jerome has in mind) which would, theoretically, get the Rockets to the playoffs instead of getting the late lottery posistion that they got, then it's a mistake no matter the lottery outcome.

The Rockets management's quality of decisions in the 1983-1984 season would of the same quality whether they won the coin flip and got Hakeem or not.

9. napalm06

"NBA lottery draw was a capper on Rockets' mediocre season..."

... but it will be just the beginning of a fantastic '10-'11 season.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If it's Rockets related, I post it (even if it's by Dick Justice or Queen Douchebag Solomon).

We have a long offseason ahead of us.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The way I read it, the legit big man he's referring to is the guy we'd supposedly pick up with a high lotto pick had we won the lottery that would justify missing the playoffs.

He seems to be genuinely by the reaction to his last article and he wants to prove his defiance.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think you failed at reading comprehension. BB wasn't saying that people shouldn't get worked up over an article that isn't praising the Rockets franchise.....he was simply saying that people shouldn't get worked up over a writer who clearly has nothing invested in what he writes. Those are two completely different concepts.

13. jedicro

jedicro Member

I didn't realize that Wilt Chamerlain was available for the MLE in the last offseason! :eek:

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is right though.

DD

15. Raven

Raven Member

No one has a beef with legitimate criticism. Just demonstrate that you understand a very important concept, that NBA teams who do anything necessary to make the playoffs are taking the short view, and the short view is not the best approach to winning a championship. The Knicks are the perfect example of this.

16. napalm06

I picked out the three paragraphs where he was wrong.

1. If you believe that the Rockets willfully injured Yao in order to 'save money' and force Adelman to play with this past season's group of terribly-defending non-stars with a huge (and short) hole in the middle, then I guess you're right.
    2. There's this guy coming back; his name is Yao Ming, and he will help. I don't have super high hopes for him, but apparently management differs from me, so I'll roll with the punches.
    3. Since when was he interested in hope? It was confusing that this came at the end of such a negative article.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

yes! I'm tired of this guy !

18. tofu--

tofu-- Member

This.

After the lottery draw Aaron Brooks had fish for dinner. It was symbolic of our failure to even attend a TNT fishing trip to catch our own fish from our annual first-round playoff exit.

19. HillBoy

So because Solomon doesn't happen to worship at the alter of "Morey the Great", he is "r****ded"? I contend that it's more r****ded to blindly follow along and accept whatever PR the Rockets putting out to explain away (yet) another disappointment. But that's something they (Rox) have become expert at doing because they have had well over a decade of practice to get it right. Now I realize that the tone of my post will strike you as being on the stern side but it cannot be helped because I have just about had my fill of the same old script from this organization. Morey may be better than the doorknob he replaced but that's about it so far. The jury is still out on him (and I'm being kind here because I am still chapped about his Artest trade).

Speaking of wins, herein follows a summation of the Houston Rockets' season records starting with their championship years:

Year Won Lost % Rank Playoffs
    2009-10 42 40 .512 3rd DNQ
    2008-09 53 29 .646 2nd Lost West Conf Semis
    2007-08 55 27 .671 3rd Lost West Conf 1st Rd
    2006-07 52 30 .634 3rd Lost West Conf 1st Rd
    2005-06 34 48 .415 5th DNQ (Switch to Southwest Division)
    2004-05 51 31 .622 3rd Lost West Conf 1st Rd
    2003-04 45 37 .549 5th Lost West Conf 1st Rd
    2002-03 43 39 .524 5th DNQ
    2001-02 28 54 .341 5th DNQ
    2000-01 45 37 .549 5th DNQ
    1999-00 34 48 .415 6th DNQ
    1998-99 31 19 .620 3rd Lost West Conf 1st Rd *Strike Season
    1997-98 41 41 .500 4th Lost West Conf 1st Rd
    1996-97 57 25 .695 2nd Lost West Conf Finals
    1995-96 48 34 .585 3rd Lost West Conf Semis
    1994-95 47 35 .573 3rd Won NBA Finals
    1993-94 58 24 .707 1st Won NBA Finals

A few things stand out:

Conclusion? Don't know about you but a look at the numbers tells me that the Rockets are the poster boys of mediocrity - which is what Solomon is grumpily saying in his article while being called names for doing so.

I can see both positions here: yours and Solomon's. Solomon's position is that Morey should have made some move to get a big man in when Yao went down. Instead, he chose to go into the season with Chuck Hayes & David Anderson which immediately placed them at a severe disadvantage in the West. His argument that getting into the playoffs even if they were to get bounced in the first round would have been far more beneficial in the long run in terms of team experience than to wind up (again) in the NBA lotto with a late lotto pick that won't get them the help they need is somewhat spot on. Playoff experience is invaluable especially for a team that hasn't tasted success very often.

Your position to play out the hand that they were dealt while taking the long view is also valid because far too often during Dawson's tenure, they made personnel moves for the short term that blew up in their faces leaving them hamstrung for years afterward. When Yao went down again and MeMac was hurt (again), that was the sign that any reasons behind THE TRADE (build around Yao & MeMac) 5 years ago had ceased to be valid. While Morey's trade with the Knicks to unload KneeMac did not overly impress me (I just wasn't impressed with any of the players they got back), I have to admit that it was way better than anything Dawson would have done. But it remains to be seen what he does now because they need to forge a new plan going forward to replace the now failed Yao-Tmac experiment and they are nowhere near doing so.

On this we agree.

20. HillBoy

I comprehend just fine. You, however, failed to understand my point about how people here immediately get all worked up anytime someone dares to write or say something that doesn't reek with bountiful praise for the Rockets. No where did I dispute what BB was saying at all.