1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Decision to trade Landry proves emotional for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6874562.html

Rockets find improvement has emotional cost

For someone with the reputation of dealing in numbers and removing emotion from trades, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey was candid Thursday in discussing the decision to ship forward Carl Landry to Sacramento.

“It's tough to see Carl leave,” he said. “Great player, great person. Someone who was a fan favorite, but you have to give up something to get something.”

What the Rockets landed was the swingman Morey admittedly had kept an eye on for years — Kevin Martin. Morey's advances had been rebuffed, and while rumors persisted recently regarding Martin's availability, nothing surfaced until this week. It was a deal too good to ignore, Morey said.

“(Martin's) a guy that was coveted around the league,” Morey said. “We got fortunate in that what Sacramento was holding everyone up around the league for, we happened to have. They really wanted a low-post scorer, and there really aren't many. Losing Carl is a big price to pay, but we feel we have multiple ways to shore up that big spot, but we had no other way to get a scorer of Kevin Martin's ability.”
    Hill the unknown

Part of that, it seems, might be provided by rookie Jordan Hill, who languished on the bench with the Knicks. Hill, according to Morey, is a true big, 6-10 and athletic, possessing a different game than Landry.

But it was never about production with Landry, 26, who attended Purdue and was drafted by Seattle with the first pick in the second round of the 2007 draft.

Nevertheless, there was plenty of that, anyway, as his scoring average increased from 8.1 points in 2008, to 9.2 in 2009, to 16.3 this season, when he assumed the role as de facto low-post scorer in Yao Ming's absence and became the team's second-leading scorer despite only a six-minute bump in playing time.

“We tried in every way to not have Carl Landry in the deal,” Morey said.

His toughness will be missed.

Who sacrificed more? The man took a bullet during his time with the Rockets — after a game against New Orleans in March 2009, he was shot in his left calf. Fortunately, the wound was minor.

And who gave more? The man lost or cracked five teeth in mid-December after getting caught in the mouth with Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki's elbow.

A year earlier, Utah forward Carlos Boozer knocked out a front tooth during Game 3 of the Jazz-Rockets first-round playoff series — the same front tooth then-teammate Dikembe Mutombo dislodged during practice days earlier.
    Landry was a bargain

But he was an asset, a commodity not only with talent but also an attractive salary — the Rockets matched an offer sheet he signed with Charlotte before the 2009 season for three years at $9 million.

And now, with some regret, he's a King.

“We really love our players,” Morey said. “We gave up one we really love, but we kept a lot we really like. We weren't really willing to move Carl except for something really good, in our opinion, like Kevin Martin.”

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

:( I miss him already.

3. BarkleyHater84

I know. It was tough for me.....I just got home from the bar. Jack Daniels couldn't cure this pain. Oh well, lets hope this trade pans out....

4. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Oh Mandry.

Your testosterone will be sorely missed. =(

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bring him back offseason after next!

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I'm with Morey. Carl will be sorely missed, especially this season, but long-term this improves the team a great deal.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yeah, it's really tough to see him go. The guy is a good player, and he busted his ass every second he was out on the court.

But, like Morey said, if you want to get something good, you have to give something up. We lost a fan favorite, and a great person, but we got ourselves a really good player in Kevin Martin as well.

8. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

We all have such an emotional attachment to these Rockets and especially players such as Landry, Brooks, Lowry...

I wish him the best, who knows he could come back here in a year or so when he is a free agent...

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There might be bad blood between our organization and Mandry.

If he can resign with us out of loyalty and respect for the players on our team, then our team is playoff ready, especially with the two NY picks.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

It's horrible to see him go, honestly, while I love Scola, there was no doubt Landry was the future of the team in the PF position, particularly once we got a taller center in the starting lineup.

Still can't believe Morey did this, and one of the worst things is, we will have the bum Jared Jeffries on our roster for a season and a half short of a buy out.

11. Trackball

Trackball Member

I have to side with Morey here. It's not like you can just trade Brian Cook for Lebron James, after all--to get something good, you have to give up something good.

Remember, we're lucky this trade turned out like it did. And we'll see how these new guys play in Saturday's game.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

can we plz sign him back in 2011?

13. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Bum? Hes overpaid but hes not a bum.

14. Good Times

Good Times Member

I hope he wants to come back home one day.

Everyone's going to miss you Carl, you will always be a Rocket in our hearts.

15. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Wouldn't THAT be something though! :eek:

MOREY?! GET ER' DONE!!!

[​IMG]

Morey: RocketFan? I'm good (as I'm Daryl "The Wizard" Morey) but I'm not THAT good.

Awww.............. :( :( :(

16. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Clutch said on the 1560 interview that he heard that Scola would be involved in the Martin trade. I guess Kings weren't interested unless it was Landry.

Landry was very good for us. He has improved tremendously in the past two years. I hope he does well and continue to improve even though that would not look good for us. I'm happy with the trade. As Morey said, we needed wing player more for our future so we had to unfortunately give us Landry.

17. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

If I were him, I'd be a little hurt. I know it's a business and all, but you'd have to be a robot to not care even a little.

That would be a dream-come-true for me, but he'd probably be giving up money to sign with us. I don't know if he's that loyal.

18. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

:( Damn.Damn.Damn, We got to give Carl a standing ovation next time we play the Kings to show him how much he was appreciated!

19. alethios

alethios Member

Wish nothing but the best for the Tooth. It must have been excrutiating for his teammates. I sincerely hope Martin will fit in with this team.

20. misterNguyen

misterNguyen Member

Gonna miss the guy... :(