1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Back to our regularly scheduled programming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/07/back_to_our_regularly_schedule.html

Now, where were we?

Oh yeah, basketball.

Before Tim Donaghy changed the subject last week, which has to be listed among his crimes, we were talking about Steve Francis, who if nothing else has not lost any of his power to polarize opinion.

Back before we blogged the days away, he was great at that for the talk radio crowd. Apparently, that has not changed.

Anyway, a few days ago, I finally broke down and picked up a DVR. I rarely record anything. I don't even know if the VCR is hooked up. But when experimenting with the DVR, I recorded "The Last Waltz" for me, a Hitchcock movie for my wife, a "7th Heaven" episode for my daughter (don't ask) and the Rockets championship video for my youngest son. (The oldest son is stationed in Kentucky. He didn't get anything.)

In watching the Rockets video, it made me think of the blog and the Steve Francis debates. The Steve versus Tracy part was a waste of the time it took to read them, and to type this sentence. And I'll ignore the discussion of who Yao likes most, since I'm out of junior high school. But the questions about minutes and the rotation seem perfectly valid.

The issue, however, is not who starts, but who finishes, which brings us back to the championship video.

Back then, Kenny Smith started, Sam Cassell worked his way in, Scott Brooks finished. But the playoffs, the rotation was cut to Smith and Cassell with Rudy Tomjanovich going with whatever was working best that game.

In Orlando, Kenny started, starred and finished Game 1, Sam was the man in Game 2, and pretty soon they swept to their second title.

I'm a long way from predicting anything so grand, but that seems like a pretty good plan going in. I tend to think James might be a better fit as the first guard off the bench. Likely coming in when Yao is out, and staying on the floor when McGrady leaves it, James can look for his shot in that role, with an ability to shoot off the dribble or in a catch-and-shoot role roughly equally well.

The more removed we are from the Francis signing, the more I'm starting to like it. As teams clog the lane in front of McGrady and sent double teams to Yao, I like the idea of someone busting defenses off the dribble and driving to the basket.

Steve's shooting percentage his last season with the Rockets went down in part because his range shooting declined, but also because with Kelvin Cato and Yao starting together, the lane was terribly clogged. He had his worst season finishing. That should not be a problem this season. And for whatever Steve does not do as a point guard, he could always find open shooters.

On nights James is lighting it up, he can finish. When Steve is carving up defenses or knocking down shots, he can finish. Mix in a little Aaron Brooks along the way. And if the Rockets don't deal Rafer Alston - though they still seem likely to make a move (as well as dealing John Lucas III) - they can have unusual depth at the position that was their thinnest last season.

Rick Adelman seems the type to be more than capable of that juggling. At first, it might have sounded like a problem, but thinking about it, the mix at the point seems a strength.

More than that, I can now consider the DVR a tax deduction.

2. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think that always made the most sense to me. Finish with which player is playing the best in that particular game. I think both guys just want to win, and are willing to admit that they are having an off shooting night.

I really hope that Brooks finds a way in to get 10 mins a game or so. I don't think he is ready for a big role like most others believe, but I think the time and experience will go a long way in keeping us strong in case of an injury.

4. pillage

pillage Member

Adelman is a big fan of Brooks, and after his Summer League performance I think he'll get his 10 minutes. It's a great change of pace tactic for every few minutes here and there. I'm sure Adelman will use him well and get him a good taste of NBA basketball.

5. Cesar^Geronimo

Imagine -- instead of Rafer playing all those minutes

We have Francis, James and Brooks.

There are certainly alot of story lines to follow this year!

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Chronic Back ...

My first reaction when I saw this title was: OMG, not again! :(

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I really like this article, nothing bug, nothing bloated and opinionated, just contained optimism. Go Chronic

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If MJ and SF get along and can accept a "platoon" role at PG, that would be great. I have my doubts. If the team wins a lot of games, that could go a long way to solving that potential problem. I can't see Rafer still with the Rockets when training camp starts. There is a 99.5% chance he's gone. He doesn't fit Adelman's offense.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Depth is a nice problem to have, as it is a long season, and we always have more than our share of injuries.

10. cz4ever

cz4ever Member

Nice article, meaning it matches my (and many other people's) view of the best way to use James+Francis. :cool:

While there's good reason to move Rafer before camp, I could easily see us keeping him on the roster and moving him during the season if we don't get any reasonable trade offers. The luxury tax is calculated according to team salaries at the end of season, so we can keep him around until the offers get sweeter if need be. Sure, it'd be nice to free up a roster space, but that can be finessed (trade JL3 for a 2nd rounder, don't sign Landry and let him play in Europe or the NBDL, etc.).