1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao to Miss 3 Mandatory Days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phil, Sep 20, 2007.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

I think you did misinterpret it. When Jeff said "does not matter", he meant that even Yao in good shape, his games / practices in China can't replace Rockets training camp. Jeff did not mean "in good shape" is unimportant.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did he really accept this appointment freely? Or did a certain government pressure him to do so?

And if the Shanghai Municipality did not realize that Yao would have commitments more important than glorified phot- ops, then they have more serious problems. They should have known that Yao is a busy man who would miss a few events here and there.

I believe there will be plenty of awareness for THE OLYMPICS without Yao. He might help some, but the Olympics is a huge event in it's own right.

Yao should be at the more meaningful events of the Olympics, IMO, not this.

3. tsunami

tsunami Member

I have to defend Pryuen this time. First off, you try to bring in politics crap. Also this is not regular Olympics, it's Special Olympics, which usually doesn't attract enough attention as regular Olympics.

I think Rockets management has done a good job on this event, praise Yao for his social responsibility, but fine him to keep the organization's principle.

4. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Thanks tusnami.

To help those that are not aware of this 2007 Special Olympics, following is some description of its scale and vision:

HOW is that considered to be just a meangingless glorified photo-ops is just beyond me !!! :rolleyes:

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Who cares about two days of practice. Think about the thousands of people who will be touched by yao being at the special Olympics. I think he does more good for the nba and the rockets by being at the special Olympics over some meaningless practices.

6. pryuen

Well that "wrong" decision about attending some "meaningless" photo-ops as some shallow posters/fans viewed it costed Big Yao close to US$ 30,000 just to be at it. :rolleyes:

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think either event, if you can call training camp "an event," is meaningless, but it would be nice if ONE FREAKIN' YEAR we could have Yao with the Rockets in anything like a normal fashion. The training camp schedule wasn't sprung on anyone. It has been well known, and is an integral part of preparing the team for the regular NBA season. It is NOT meaningless. I cannot, for the life of me, see why this has to be made into some kind of "choice" for Yao. He has a contract with the Rockets. Frankly, I think they should have fined him more. It has nothing to do with whether people with special needs deserve to see Yao, were he available. Of course that would be great for them. The fact remains that he isn't available unless he breaks a contractual agreement made in good faith with the Rockets.

It isn't Rockets science.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Special Olympics has been a global leader for years, has arranged the world's LARGEST sporting event this year, and is now in it's 12th year.

But we are supposed to believe that awareness will be lacking unless Yao waives to the cameras?

This is a minor event compared to the real Olympics, and Yao should get his priorities right. The Rockets are his #1 job, and these practices are very important.

9. pryuen

No one here is saying the preseasons training camp is meaningless; it is just that some posters claimed that Big Yao made a wrong decision to attend a meaningless photo-ops.

It isn't Rockets science either that the opening ceremony date of the Special Olympics had been well known years ahead of the Rockets' Media Day & preseasons training camp.

It is just that there is no choice for Big Yao. Even if the Rockets is going to fine him more heftier, he needs to be there at the Special Olympics opening ceremony in his dual capacity as the Global Ambassador of Special Olympics and Official Image Spokesperson for Shanghai Municipality.

Take the example of Milwaukee Bucks. They knew about Yi Jianlian's national team commitment all the way up to October 1. Their preseason training camp starts on October 2. Their Media Day is on October 5, leaving sufficient time for Yi Jianlian to be there on October 4, 2 days late but avoid a more heavier fine of US$20K for skipping the Media Day.

That's why I proposed earlier to move the Media Day to sometimes later, say October 8, the Open Media Day at Toyota Centre. That could save Yao Ming the big fine of US$ 20K for missing the Media Day. What is the difference between holding the Media Day on October 1 than on October 5 or October 8 ??

To me that Media Day is more a meaningless photo-ops than showing up in the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics.

10. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Bloody hell what r u guys arguing about?
    Yao did the right thing to appear in the Special Olympics and Rockets did the right thing to fine him.
    end of story.
    My only concern is the fine is 2500 for the first day thats like more than my weekly income wtf. :eek:

;)

11. pryuen

Man....you still did not get it??

And you talk about priority?? :eek:

Please read what Daryl Morey has to say about this.

Or if that is still not sufficient, please read what Jonathan Feigen wrote:

12. krockets

krockets Member

Everyone has different priorities, one's priority is different than yours doesn't mean he/she is wrong or making a bad decision. It just means they have a different priority. One might think job is the most important, one might say family is most important, and some might say living you own life is the most import...

As for Yao in this incident, his priority is definitely the Speciail Olympic, not the opening PRACTICE, and he is willing to pay for the fine... Once again guys, there is no right or wrong, it just a personal choice..

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

pryeun,

it's just 3 days...one of which is media day. guys here are excited about the season and will jump on any news.

no one really cares if Yao misses a day or two.

no need to defend him.

Yao is fine ...

but, I know you won't listen to me. You will continue to defend something here that doesn't matter until this thread get to be 20 pages long.

go for it. but if you do, it will only lesson you stature here.

learn from windandsea....
    no China man does though, because she was so great!!! It's a cultural thing, I'm sure, for China women to go ignored, even in their awesomeness.

peace biscuit
    or should I say moon biscuit

14. longbow111

longbow111 Member

WOW, 5pages already for such a big news! It seems the Clutchfan members are all starving for any news Rockets related. NBA should be blamed for have such a long and boring offseason. FIRE STERN!!

15. Astockmarketgod

good grief... let Yao be with the r****ds...

the season will be a long enough for all to jell...

the more time Yao has to rest... the better...

and id rather win in the playoffs ... than get 60 wins in the season

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Why can't the front office just put Sikma on a flight to Shanghai right now?

And why can't the first 2 days of practice just be videotaped and available for Yao to review on his laptop during the flight back?

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Missing 2 practices?! That lazy som of a b****!

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Special Olympics is just PR work to fend off criticism of how commercial the Summer Olympics are. Also makes a feelgood event/diversion for the hosts whenever there's grumbling over the resources being blown on this thing.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Haha, the minute I read the first post, I knew there would be that obligated "we talkin' bout practice" tirade quote.

And calm down, pryuen. No need to defend Yao in everything. He doesn't need you to do that for him.

20. Champ06

Champ06 Member

“As a Global Ambassador of Special Olympics, I was requested to participate and play a role in the opening ceremony of 2007 Special Olympics World Games in my hometown of Shanghai. I feel it is an obligation that I must meet,” said Yao. “I realize that missing the first few days of camp will put me behind my teammates in learning our new coach’s system, but I will work very hard to make sure that I do not hurt our team’s progress as we prepare for the start of the new season.”

http://www.nba.com/news/yao_camp_070920.html

Trust Yao. "Get over with the Special Olympics and set your mind 110% on winning a RING this coming season. You have my absolute support." said Champ06. ;)