1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao to Miss 3 Mandatory Days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phil, Sep 20, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I sure know about what you said about purpose of the training camp, which is to get acquainted himself with the new coach, the new players and the new systems as soon as possible,

But I don't think I can agree with you that it does not matter whether a player comes into the training camp ready and fit. Surely you don't want to have players to turn up in the training camp all swollenly fat and slow, and take weeks or months for re-conditioning back to competitive shape and form. (Take previous season's Bonzi Wells as an example !!)

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Oh, no doubt. And I'm glad that he's doing it. It's for charity. GREAT for him. More players should do that. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between working out and practicing with your teammates.

But, I'm not worried about Yao or the team. They'll be fine.

3. cks

cks Member

Yao is doing it for good reason, so it is ok

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is very very bad situation for Yao! :(

New coach, new system, and new players. I believe this training camp is critical for every rocket player, including Yao. If he could not acquire Adelman's sufficient trust, it would affect his importance in the new system, and maybe thus affect his career.

5. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

its not ok...he should be at practice. he did not have falsone come over like he normally does. sikma refused to go see yao...no coach has seen him since the end of july. it sends the wrong message to his teammates. he had all summer to do his charity work.

he is a great man and a great player but this is a poor decision on his part.

6. small forward

small forward Member

bonzi was also having some one special to be taken care of..those with mastitis or busty problems... :eek:

7. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I don't think he had much say when the Special Olympics made their schedule. After all, he is their spokesman. I think his decision was admirable

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why did Sikma refuse to go?

9. abundance

abundance Member

He should have rescheduled the Special Olympics to a week before camp starts. ;)

10. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

well, that would make him look worse because he's going to be late anyway because he would have to be with the chinese nt untill oct. 2 and now not without a charitble cause for being late. :eek:

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

In fact, Yao hasn't been a good decision maker yet. Otherwise, Rockets would have passed 1st round already.

12. denniscd

just didnt want to go that far. thats why no one on the coaching staff has seen him since cd left china back in late july or early august. for some reason, yao didnt have falsone his conditioning coach go back to china this month. i think sikma screwed up by not going the extra mile to work with and get to know yao this summer and i think yao has made a bad decision that ultimately will have zero impact on the rockets this season. they will win a minimum of 55 to 58 games.

there is 6 bad teams in the west that we must dominate...portland seattle memphis clippers minnesota and sac...

13. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

WTF !!! :mad: Man....The Special Olympics is as important as the Olympics to those intellectually deficient/inadequate athletes.

Shanghai happens to be the host city for the 2007 Special Olympics, an international event, when thousands of intellectually deficient/inadequate athletes come from all over the world to Shanghai for it.

In his dual role and capacity as the official image spokesperson for the Shanghai Municipality and the Special Olympics, tell me HOW he can be exempted from appearing and officiating in the opening ceremony?

If this is considered a poor decision on Big Yao, I'd rather said it is the insensitivity of the Rockets management or a mis-communication problem there between Yao Team and the Rockets.

Big Yao's national team commitment is well known ahead of time, and it has been known for a long while that the 2007 Special Olympics in Shanghai will commence on October 2, 2007.

The Rockets management should instead plan the Media Day and opening of the training camp in Austin around them. There is no stringent rules that Media Day should be on October 1 for NBA teams or the preseason training camp should start October 2.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yao Ming always spends the beginning of training camp with intellectually deficient/inadequate atheletes, this is no change from past years.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I was with you until you made that last statement. I have no problem with Yao missing the opening. Afterall their are some things that are bigger than basketball. And Yao's part in this special Olympics would certainly seem to be one. But it is ridiculous to suggest the team should change opening to accomodate one player. He is just 1 player on a team of many, albeit the most important one. Still it is a team and no one player is bigger than the team, even Yao. So slap him the necessary fines and allow him to fulfill his duty with out much ado.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe he should take the year off then. Obviously the whole Olympics apparatus will fall apart if he isn't there to waive at the cameras and make meaningless appearances.

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

why? just to show that Yao is more important than the whole team ?

18. krockets

krockets Member

Wow man, that's one hella of exaggeration.. I bet Yao would get at least 20 points per game this season and you think that's zero impact?.. Hmm..

Anyway, back to the topic. If we look at this from the Rockets' perspective, yeah, Yao's absent is questionable. But if you look at it from a non-Rockets and more human perspective, Yao is actually doing charities for the world.. He might delay the Rockets' progress a little, but such delay would benefit the world. (As in setting examples for other rich/big names to do more charity works)

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yes, of course I want players to come to camp fat and slow and take weeks or months for re-conditioning. :rolleyes:

And stop calling me Surely.

:)

20. denniscd

dude i said it was a bad decision but it wont impact their season at all...not that yao wont impact their season...hes going to win the mvp