1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Yao now out indefinitely

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Dec 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yao is 7'6, Z is 7'3.

But yes, players their size are prone to being plagued by injury. My point is, take solace in that the only way we resign Yao is if he proves from here on out that he is worth signing. If the current situation continues, he will be gone. People keep on talking about Les and the Yao money, how many chinese do you think want to watch Yao in a walking boot?

But if he comes back strong and we get to the western finals or something, do you really want to still get rid of him because of one setback in the beginning of the year? And before you say it is not just one setback, but a history, that is why we won't be paying him the max and building around him like we otherwise would be.

2. nebula955

nebula955 Member

The idea of healthy marginal role players being worth more than Yao is just absurd. The goal is to win a championship, not to strag along continuing to be "respectable". Only Yao on this team has potential to put the team there, so don't say stupid crap like "gortat is better".

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. the 3 inches makes a huge difference when you look at players that have gone before these guys. 7'5" and above are cursed with injuries, particularly later in their career.

2. that's not the money they're talking about when they talk about Les' money related to Yao and China. no one is talking about more people watching the game.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Such a small sample size, you are just drawing the line wherever it makes your point more useful and eliminates players like Kareem etc.

It is Les' personal wealth that has been expanded and the franchise's value overall.....I have said all along he needs to sell while Yao is here to maximize his return.

Look at the Cavs now that Bron left.......

DD

5. MadMax

Kareem was 7'2". There have been lots of players who've played at that height and had long careers.

It does not change the fact that no one at 7'5" or above has had a career marked by anything BUT injuries...where injuries ultimately became the stories of their careers. And no one in the history of the NBA has played at that size and logged anywhere near the minutes Yao has. I'm not selecting that randomly...that literally seems to be the threshhold. Yao is only further proving the point. Is he not? Am I wrong on that? The last 5 seasons of his career he's missed about as many games as he's played. I think that speaks for itself.

Do you not remember that discussion when he was drafted? I remember very distinctly hearing/reading that Yao might be phenomenal, but that we shouldn't count on a long career given what we know of how much more likely injuries are when playing at that size.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Indeed Max, indeed.

7. MadMax

awesome :cool:

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

On the real though.

Isn't it funny how at the beginning of this year we were in opposite camps on both Yao and Kubiak, now that both of them have dun goofed, we're on the same side?

It's nice to be in good company again.

9. MadMax

Let's drink Christmas Ale to celebrate. :grin:

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Woot! We suck! Bottoms up!

11. parmesh

parmesh Member

LOL it ain't their choice.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, it is. I recall that, according to Larry Coon's CBA faq, the insurance carrier has the right to exclude a given number of players in the league from coverage each year. Yao Ming is probably one of the first guys they thought about naming this year.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

ROFL. Ya think?

Doesn't the player also have to miss a year or only play in a limited number of games for insurance coverage to apply?

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Unlike yourself, I was not all that enamored of Yao & AB the first time around so I have zero expectations that part deux will be any better. I won't buy into it until I see it produce wins. Do not let your relentless optimism blind you to the reality that even with those two, this team has severe shortcomings.

However, their schedule for December is very much in their favor because the majority of the games they have are against average to below average teams like themselves. Unfortunately, the hammer really comes down in January which should be the kill stroke for them this season.

It all depends on what you mean by salvageable. If by salvageable you are expecting them to somehow morph into a playoff team, then sorry but I just don't see that happening. If by salvageable you are expect them to finish with 43-47 wins, then I can understand your POV.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Right because with Uncle Les it's the head coach who always takes the fall for the organization's mistakes.

16. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Morey said on 610 (see it here here) that they are trying to be conservative in bringing Yao. They want the muscle around Yao ankle to be strengthened (and it will take weeks). This resembles what DD and a few others wrote. I am content to see the team winning and after December, we will know which way we can go.

Instead of rubbishing Yao I think we should give him the chance to make another comeback. He works hard enough, he fell many times and he got back up again. He deserves that chance.

SS999

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Sounds like exactly what they were aying about tracy just 12 months ago.

18. ozy615

ozy615 Member

a trade behind?

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

im so tired of having players who can't stay on the court, but at least this year the 8th seed is easily within reach since it appears there are only 7 good teams in the west.

20. rox81

rox81 Member

Thank you, Bill Clinton. "It depends on the meaning of the word 'the'."