1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao mulls contract status, considers free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drew_Le, Mar 29, 2010.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, Yao absolutely can't leave the Rockets...

What would happen in the GARM without TMac, Francis, Alston, AND Yao?

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

To all you TOF's, Yao can give a rats ass about how the organization supposedly "disrespected" T-Mac.

Yao knows ,like most of us, that when it came time to go to war and fight that T-Mac was nowhere to be found. He only cares about one thing and one thing only: The Houston Rockets Organization and he will do whats best for them and obviously himself and family. He, like most people, wants a better paycheck and will get it this offseason!

If Yao is not a Rocket this time next season, I will be shocked.

3. BarkleyHater84

How ungreatful is that? The team sticks by the guy even though he has been oft-injured, and he talks about opting out. Go to hades Yao. Have fun with the Bricks next year.

4. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

This could benefit Yao and the Rockets.

Yao opts out and resigns with the Rockets for multiple years at less dollars. Frees up the organization financially and allows long term security for Yao - and given the injury history this may make sense for him. The only reason financially that Yao would not opt out is if he is willing to gamble that he will have an injury free and productive season in 2011, thereby securing both dollars and a long term contract.

If you were an agent you might consider the conservative path for your client given the pattern of previous years.

How much is Yao worth as a basketball player if he does not finish 2011 playing significant minutes at a high level?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I can't see the Rockets give Yao a max salary max year deal right now, not when he's still recovering from his injury, not with the risk he gets injured again. If he had been healthy thsi past season, I can see them giving him that kind of money. Now? I think Morey would need to take an injury-risk discount. They probably still want him on the roster, and would still pay him a lot, but they really need to save some money (under the luxury tax, future hard cap under new CBA, whatever) in order to get at least a quality backup big given the injury risk.

For now, I think the deal is that Yao won't opt out unless he and the Rockets have an agreement to return. Probably one under which he gives up some salary per year for the security of a longer-term contract (and the risk of an unfavorable CBA and or injury next year).

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

TMac was also here for a lot of wars with our hated enemies, the Jazz and Mavs. He fought along with the team. He's gone so no reason to piss on him.

As for Yao, to the cracker who said "how ungrateful is that", you're trying too hard. ;)

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This article shows that even Yao is unsure of his future with the Rockets.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Im guessing you are a TOF? :grin:

Just kidding, but I always liked T-Mac, but I like the Rockets even more!

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Yao wanting the max doesn't mean he doesn't care about a championship. Numerous players have won the championship under a max contract.

And the last time someone took a pay cut to free room for someone else didn't work for us either. Barkley freeing up Pippen anyone? So, that doesn't always guarantee success either.

We have a general manager who has done wonders making this team much better with 2 guys under max deals. Now he only has one. He will continue to build this team and one max player won't stop him.

And Yao opting out, if he does, doesn't kill any chance to get any free agents to sign with us. Bosh or whoever was probably going to go wherever he does by way of sign and trade. Wouldn't sign with someone outright.

The only thing Yao opting out might do is eliminate the mid level exception for us. Not a cap guy like Bima so that might not be true.

As for where DM has said the max has been offered, it was on the table all of last season. Yao actually was the one that turned him away a couple of times. And even when Yao was dealing with the foot issue, DM stood behind him and stated that he is still the guy and a max level player.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

WTF?

[​IMG]

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Maybe his considering jumping out for less....don't over react...

--RB

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, it would be more or less the same position as we were in before T-Mac left, and we'd have let him walked for nothing. Yes, we "could" have capspace. But for who? Boozer? Gay? Those are the type of FA who may come here. But those are players I wouldn't trade Scola and Lowry for in the first place. And those players coming here wouldn't make this team a contender. And I feel Bosh really wants to win. So us gutting the team to clear cap for him probably isn't nearly as attractive as in a S&T situation.

But the most important thing is how Morey handled the entire T-Mac situation. He obviously mortgaged the 2010 capspace when he traded T-Mac. Yao leaving would make all that work go away.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's good to have so many people so passionate about the Rockets (hence, this website), but did Yao really say anything that should warrant all of the "off with the traitor's head" or "uh-oh I just got the nervous squirts" comments in this thread?

"Hey, Yao, what you gonna do contract-wise?"

"You know, I haven't really thought about it. Gotta get with my agent and see what's the right thing to do. Any way you look at it, I do like being in Houston."

Read between the lines: I now have a bionic foot. I feel optimistic but how optimistic does my team feel? Will they want to extend my contract now and if so, for how much? What about this new Collective Bargaining Agreement? Maybe my agent can help me sort all this out. Man, I'm getting tired waiting for the baby to be born. Hey, I'm hungry; I sure could go for some lo mein right now but the doctor said not to eat it while my workouts are limited or I'll get fat. DAMN! Getting so sick of chicken and vegetables.

1 person likes this.
  14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

more like

[​IMG]

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Don't lower your level to this True Beaner. Everyone should know by now that this True Beaner is here just to agitate, to alienate and to cause disputes. He started a thread to appeal to the mods to someone when people like him should be the first ones to be banned. That's hypocrisy at it's finest if you ask me.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

The best situation would be for the team to give him a 3 year 30 mil deal. Of course why would Yao do that when he's set to make 17 mil next year. I'm sure he can do better than 2 years 13 mil on the market in 2011.

So maybe the team goes 3 years 40 mil, can Yao do better than 2 years 23 mil on the market? probably, but it's no sure thing, so he may choose security.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

oh man, i would absolutely LOVE for yao to opt out and go to another team. i hope he does to free up some more money for us.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Read Bima's post.

If
    (A) Yao opts out,
    (B) the team lets Scola go,
    (C) the team lets Lowry go, and
    (D) the team lets Chuck Hayes go,

then the team would have $40 million in salary, and somewhere between $11 to $14 million in capspace.

That's not going to give you a max player, at best a 2nd (3rd?) tier guy like David Lee or Rudy Gay.

and if we also pays someone to take David Anderseon (probably will take a pick + cash to do so, just think how much it cost NY to get the last bit of cas space), then you MIGHT have max money, assuming NBA income is on the higher end of projection rather than the lower end, or even the middle scenario.

Not worth it.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hope he opts out and leaves. He's the other cog in the failed experiment along with battier. He had his chance and failed along with tracy. The sooner we turn the page on this test case of leaderless,skilled players, the better.All of his fans can follow him out the door also.

Who cares about cash cows when the player misses 2 full season in the last 4? I bet jerry west wouldn't care what kind of visibility a guy brings. Dirk doesnt generate outside revenue, yet cuban generate as much money as les. Its all about the rings, not anta sneaks or anything else.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

?????