1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: What about Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 8, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1607856

Oct. 7, 2002, 10:53PM

-Rockets summary-

What about Yao?

Yao Ming's agent, Erick Zhang, said he and the Rockets have "made major progress" on the issues that last week stood in the way of an agreement on Yao's rookie contract.

"We're making progress," Zhang said. "You can say we made major progress. The glitches are very minor."

"Everybody realized we've got to get this done," Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg said. "We've been working to that end."

The Rockets also must receive clearance from the China Basketball Association, but Goldberg said there are no disagreements in those talks.

"Erick going to try to contact the commissioner (Xin Langchen) and we'll see where we'll stand," Goldberg said.

Taking five

The Rockets' "five-man" offense might be new to most of the team. But to Steve Goodrich it is the offense he knows most.

Goodrich ran a true motion offense at Princeton, and a similar offense with the Nets, making him more valuable to the Rockets in training camp.

"It's very helpful to me to know what they are doing," Goodrich said. "What I ran in college was more whatever happens, happens. Here we have more specific options. At the same time, I know the options and I know what makes it successful.

"I'd like to think I'm helpful. If somebody doesn't know where they're going, I can point them in the right direction and maybe help people know what to look for."

Taylor out

Rockets forward Maurice Taylor, who has had stiffness in his right ankle in the area of last season's Achilles rupture, will be held out of tonight's preseason opener. Guard Moochie Norris' status will be determined tonight. Norris has had sore feet.

Rookies Juaquin Hawkins (hamstring, ankle) and Brandon Kurtz (bruised heel) also will not play.

Grizzlies waive two

The Memphis Grizzlies waived free agents Robb Dryden and Mark Vershaw, reducing the team's training camp roster to 18.

Dryden, a 7-foot center, and Vershaw, a 6-9 forward, were training camp invitees.

Vershaw averaged 17.1 points in the Finnish League last season. Dryden averaged 5.7 points for Saskatchewan of the CBA last season.

Back on his feet

The Grizzlies' Michael Dickerson is ready to forget about the 78 games he missed last season with a stress fracture near his right groin.

The rare injury knocked Dickerson out of action in a game against Phoenix. He underwent physical therapy for six months and had to relearn to walk, let alone run.

Coach Sidney Lowe said Dickerson apparently will be the starting shooting guard for Memphis this season, complementing Jason Williams.

What about West?

Although the NBA power meter has been leaning decisively toward the West recently, the Rockets feel the conference is still wide-open.

Outside of the defending NBA champion Lakers and Sacramento, which finished the season with the NBA's best record, they say all playoff spots are up for grabs.

"The West is something else," guard Cuttino Mobley said. "Anybody can win in the West, as strong as the Lakers are."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That's a good feeling.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hopefully it should be done soon,but Mo-T not being fit with stiffness in the same area that he had the injury in is a cause of serious concern.

4. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

This development, along with Kenny Thomas' anticipated minutes at the 3, should pretty much put a halt to the "why do we need KT" threads.

But it won't...:(

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, what the hell happened. I thought Rice and Taylor were feeling fantastic on the first day of training camp. Next thing I know they're both sitting on the bench doing stretches. Taylor was saying he was going to play in all the preseason games and get as much time as he can...he's already sitting out tonight's game. Not good.

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

P-R-E-C-A-U-T-I-O-N-A-R-Y

I would be more concerned if they tried to play him 30 minutes tonight.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Realistically, why do we need MoT in tonites game? We don't, so let him sit out and make sure that the injury is really healed.The first game is gonna be more about seeing how the 2nd and 3rd stringers are gonna work out.
    Besides, Griff is going to take his position soon anyway, I wouldn't want him to get used to startin again...;)

I can't wait...come on tonite!