1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Wells likes his chances

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manila, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Manila

Manila Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4231616.html

Oct. 2, 2006, 11:47PM
    Wells likes his chances
    Hungry for title, Rockets signee
    looking forward to playing with Yao and T-Mac

By TERRANCE HARRIS
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

When surveying the free-agent landscape, Bonzi Wells was lured more by potential championships than money. As a result, the Rockets were able to land one of the most prized players on the market.

It had been reported for days that Wells, a 6-5 swingman and eight-year NBA veteran, had reached an agreement with the Rockets. But the deal was not signed until Monday, when players reported for physicals.

Wells, who opted not to re-sign with the Sacramento Kings this past summer, had been pursued by other teams, including Denver, Charlotte, Boston and Miami. He said he chose the Rockets because of the star power of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming and the chance to make a run in the Western Division.

Wells signed a two-year contract with the Rockets for $5 million — considerably less than the deal on the table with Sacramento in the summer.

Reports have circulated that the Kings offered Wells a five-year deal worth $36 million to $38 million. But when he and his agent rejected it, the Kings went elsewhere, and Wells was unexpectedly left on the free-agent market after many teams had spent available money.

Wells sought to set the record straight Monday.

"It was there," he said about the money. "I just decided to come here. It was all on me.

"I could have got a whole lot of money anywhere. You might have read the wrong stuff, but the money was always out there. I just want to be in a good situation where I can go for a championship. With Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming being as young as they are, I think it's going to be great for the future."

In Wells, the Rockets get an explosive and versatile scorer. His quickness will provide matchup problems for opponents that attempt to defend him with bigger players on the wing or with smaller guards down low.

Wells is coming off an impressive postseason run for the Kings. In six playoff games, he averaged 23.2 points and 12 rebounds. He had double-doubles in five of those games.

In Game 5 of the first-round series loss to San Antonio, Wells had 38 points. In Game 4 (a Kings win), he had 25 points on 9-of-11 shooting and picked up 17 rebounds.

"We like the flexibility Bonzi gives us," said Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. "Bonzi was one of the top free agents available this offseason, and we think he's going to be a good fit with the roster we have assembled. We will be able to use his unique talents in many ways, because he can play a variety of different positions on the floor."

Ready to find niche
    Wells, who averaged 13.6 points and 7.7 rebounds in his season with the Kings, said his role with the Rockets will be to fit in around the stars. His jobs will be to complement them and score when necessary.

"Since I've been in the league, I've always played with great players," said Wells, who for his career has averaged 12.8 points and 4.4 rebounds while shooting 46.4 percent from the field. "During my Portland days, I played with a lot of great players. In Memphis, I had a lot of great guys who could play, and even in Sacramento (I was around great players).

"So it's nothing new for me to come play a role. I just hope I can do it well. I understand I'm going to have a lot of nights where it's going to be my night and a lot of nights where it's going to be (McGrady's and Yao's) nights mostly. I just want to come in and fit in, do my job to the best of my ability, and hopefully it will transfer into wins."

Wells' new teammates are counting on that. The Rockets are coming off a 34-48 campaign in which McGrady and Yao missed considerable time with injuries.

There is hope that the additions of forward Shane Battier (acquired in a trade with Memphis for Stromile Swift and the rights to draftee Rudy Gay) and Wells will add not only depth but scoring.

Howard likes Wells' game
    Many of the Rockets said they were excited about what both players will bring off the bench or as starters, and they are especially pumped about the explosiveness Wells offers.

"Bonzi is a veteran player who has not only showed he's a proven scorer, but his toughness out there on the court ... people don't talk about the guy as a fierce competitor, a very good offensive and defensive rebounder," forward Juwan Howard said.

"He adds a strong body in there to post up with a lot of smaller guards. He plays with a workmanlike attitude, and that's great to have someone like that on your team. I know every time we've faced him, he's always been a tough matchup for us."

Wells said he looks to keep up that level of play while also chasing a title in a season that opens Nov. 1 against Utah in Salt Lake City.

"I've been in this league long enough and made enough money, but I haven't won a championship," said Wells, a first-round pick (11th overall) out of Ball State for the Detroit Pistons in 1998. (The pick was traded to Portland.)

"That's my ultimate goal. I want to win a championship, and with Yao and Tracy being as young as they are, and the pieces around (them), I really think we have a chance."

terrance.harris@chron.com

2. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

He is definately saying all the right things (even though he is giving pretty much the stndard responses). But it is positive to hear that he sees a future in Houston. Hopefully he still feels that way at the end of this season, and resigns here (provided he is as good as advertised in JVG's system)

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I just hope Bonz doesnt come in and complain about lack of shots or whatever. Just come in and do your thing - get us some offensive rebounds - break out in transition - finish at the basket - play off of Mac and Yao.

i'm tired of the talking - lets get on the court and get 'er done!

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Doesn't the Chron have editors who check the quotes?

5. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

I don't know.. I have a feeling Bonzi is going to be a one-year rental as long as he plays well here. Will we be able to re-sign him to a bigger contract after this season? I seriously doubt it. On the other hand - if he ends up sucking, we'll definitely have him for another year, though we may not want him by then

Both ways, we lose :( Unless of course a championship comes out of all this..

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm happy that Bonzi is here, but him saying that these huge deals were out there the entire time makes me want to scream out "you're full of crap!!!" Is he actually saying that he could have gotten a deal in the neighborhood of what the Kings were offering, but instead opted to take the 2 million dollars per year from the Rockets? Riiiiiiiight.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

dont believe that for a second..... guy made an awful decision not resigning with the kings and he knows it.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, I'm excited about the Rockets this season. The best starting 5 we've had in quite some time!

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, that's correct- what he's saying is that many people only talk about his ability to score and under-emphasize the defensive/ toughness aspects of his game.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's full of it. There's a reason he fired his agent. There's a reason he went BACK and talked to the Kings after they used up their MLE. The reason is because he left $36-38MM on the table and will be lucky to get 1/2 of it back next season.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It would be nice to hear someone admit a little truth with a little positive spin...

I really messed up by not accepting the Kings contract offer but fortunately I can still eat pretty well on $2 million a year. This year I hope to prove that the Rockets got a steal.

12. THEDREAMSHAKE34

I really don't know if hes feeding us crap or not but i sure hope he came here to win and not for money, although i don't see any professional athlete giving up 30 million to win but i really don't care as long as he can do his part and help us win some games.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Sure he regrets not taking the money, but that doesn't mean he isn't still excited about playing here. I mean, who would be excited to play in Charlotte?

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Agreed. You guys (not you hippie :) ) are unfairly harsh on Bonzi. I mean, who in the world would confess to the news media on day one in his newly adopted hometown that he essentially is a greedy pig? And who doesn't talk about "right things" in this kind of situation? Also let's be honest, who doesn't want to make the most money when the opportunity is right?

With his signing with the Rockets, at least for now, I give Bonzi credit for putting the higher priority on winning rather than seeking short sighted financial gain. He did have choices, after all.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe something like:

i should've taken the kings offer so i can feed my kids, but i guess with some coupons we can get by on $2M a year. i'm hoping to prove to the rocktes that my kids eat alot and i deserve a lot more money to feed them.

-----------

all joking aside, i'm glad to hear that he has his sights set on winning big. i'm not sure how he fits in this system but i know he fits well with the players we have. he (with snyder and spanoulis) adds some nastyness to the team. it's not like we have a bunch of milk drinkers on the roster anymore :)

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd rather him put a positive (if not delusional) spin on it than act all bitter about it. If he's angry, maybe he can play with a chip on his shoulder all year long (see Mike James last year). That can only be good for us.

I also don't see us resigning him after this year, but I don't care about that right now. This is our year. TMac and Yao aren't getting any younger.

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

If he pans out we can give him the full MLE next year and a multi year contract to boot.

19. Omer

Omer Member

I don't like your signature, you're content with semi-mediocrity, losing to the Suns...

Have your heard the quote:
    "Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will be among the stars."

That's what I'm about. Be optimistic!