1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Wells has different drive as Rockets await Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuNx, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4548784.html

Wells has different drive
    Playing again, not beating Kings, motivates Rocket

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Perhaps if this season had gone differently, Bonzi Wells could concern himself finally with playing against the Kings.

If he had been playing since leaving Sacramento, if the start to his season not been so rocky and his back so troublesome, he could have thought of tonight's game against his former team as different, special.

Instead, it is exceptional for a different reason, one that has nothing to do with the opponent. Wells expects to play.

"I feel better," Wells said. "I'm still sore. I think I'm definitely going to play (tonight). I actually tried to play last game but coach told me to take a couple more days and make sure I get the soreness out of my backside. Hopefully, I'll play tomorrow, and everything will be smooth sailing."

After missing the past three games with a bruised lower back and having spent so much of the season out for a variety of reasons, he said he was more concerned with being able to play at all, than playing against the Kings in particular.

Happy to have a job
    "I don't think about it like that," Wells said. "It's just a game, another game. I'm friends with everybody around the league. I have friends with every team we play, so it doesn't matter.

"It's an opponent. You have to prepare the same way. I'm going to see friends (tonight). I'm going to see friends when we play Dallas. I never had a problem with the organization. Some days you might be with the team, the next day you might not be.

"As long as I have a job, I'm happy."

The season would seem enough reason to make just playing matter more than playing against the Kings. Since signing with the Rockets after turning down an offer Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said was worth $38.5 million over five years, a decision Wells called "a misunderstanding," Wells has been unable to create and keep a similar role with the Rockets.

He missed 17 games while struggling to get in shape and quarrelling with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy. He missed 10 more, including the game in Sacramento last month, with a sore lower back. He has been out for the past three games after bruising his back in a hard fall against the Timberwolves.

"Right now, it's hard to know (what Wells brings the Rockets) because he's had infrequent stretches where he can get himself playing consecutively," Van Gundy said. "It's been a hard year so far for him."

It's been too difficult a season to worry about a reunion tonight. But last month, before the Rockets arrived in Sacramento, facing the Kings did seem different.

"I wanted to stay there," he said last month. "I wanted the money and to be there for a long time. It was a miscommunication, and I ended up getting the short end of the stick. I think about it every day. I miss being in Sacramento.

"Everything happens for a reason. That reason was bad for me, but now, hopefully, we have a chance to make a run for a championship here. Team-wise, I think I'm in a better place."

Can still fill need
    The Rockets believe Wells can make things better. His role has generally been limited, but he had been finishing games before he was hurt.

Wells brings the Rockets a post-up option off the bench and a style different from guards Kirk Snyder and Luther Head.

"I think he's a really good cutter," Van Gundy said. "I think he has an intelligence about him. I think he can rebound the ball in traffic and has a nasty streak. Kirk has a streak we need, too, which is a quickness/athletic streak that obviously we need. Bonzi has more of a nasty streak we need."

Though Snyder, playing with Wells out, had a season-high 15 points Saturday, Van Gundy said there is not enough time off the bench for both.

Wells insisted he was just pleased to be healthy enough to play. Details, from his position, to his role, to the opponent no longer mattered.

"Everything's good," Wells said. "We're winning. That's all that matters. It's a team game. It's not about me."

In that case, it cannot be about the Kings, either.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

#1 JuNx, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

Hopefully he can stay on the court until about June for us :cool:

3. superden

superden Contributing Member

Make time JVG. I am all for both of them playing and NOT playing novak and vspan.

4. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

5. Chronz

Chronz Member

Great that will give JVG what an additional 2 minutes for both of them.

If he can somehow work in a rotation that allows for both Wells and Snyder to play it would HAVE to cut into Luthers time at the 2 which is bad for him and still doesnt leave enough playing time for the both of them unless Tmac gets injured.

6. yaominn

yaominn Member

both wells and synder are too good to be a bench warmer. i think the only way to give them more pt is to decrease alson's PT.

this means tmac playes PG for about 15-20 minutes, during that period of time, head/snyder should guard other teams' pg and do the ball handling.

we should also try wells/battier at pf for some cases.

7. windfern

windfern Member

Nice.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

to be honest, I'd rather play Snyder AND Bonzi instead of Head and Wells or Head and Snyder. I'd like us to play a faster, more athletic style of play when our bench is in, rather than relying on 3point shots.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

JVG is a great coach!

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Absolutely. I love the attitude.

11. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

If Bonzi plays though, will he be the same Bonzi he was a week ago? I'm worried that the injury had an effect on him.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

he's gonna have a great playoff run...then opt out

13. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Van Gundy to Bonzi:

"Baby, it's Janet, Miss Jackson if you're nasty!"