1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON via Sac Bee] Sacramento View of the Robinson Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Today there was an article on the Chron by a Sacramento Bee columnist Ailene Voisin on Sacramento's perspective of the Robinson trade. This might have been posted before, but I think it highlights some very interesting and previously undiscussed parts of the trade (especially Sacramento's rather low evaluation of Robinson) and deserves its own thread for discussion.

Rest of the article:
    Link: http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/02/view-from-sacramento-robinson-a-king-sized-mistake/

Obviously, the article criticizes the Kings management for giving on Robinson too early. However, it does shed light into the fact that the Kings did view Robinson as a rather unpromising prospect, despite his high draft position (of course if they were super high on him they would never have traded him in the first place, no matter how incompetent they might be).

I think what we can get from this as Rockets fans is that we probably should temper our expectations about Robinson from the onset. He certainly has the tools to be a successful player in the NBA, but he's by no means a starter by default. The Jordan Hill comparison has been made before and I do think the two cases are not the same, but in terms of a high lottery talent that's been "given up" by their former team, there are definitely similarities.

The more important thing about this trade, I think, is not necessarily Thomas Robinson the player, but Thomas Robinson the superior trade asset. As many others have noted, Robinson's value basically rivals that of a lottery pick now, and could become invaluable when the Draft rolls around and we look to make a play for a big time talent. In this move Daryl basically strengthened his hand for the offseason at the expense of this season - whichever way you look at it, keeping Patterson would have made us better off for the purposes of our playoff push.

2. Albinoswordfish

This is something that I suspected. Why would you trade your lottery pick just to relieve some salary (which a lot of people on reddit/r/nba thought). It had to be that the Kings didn't really think much of him as a player. Still to give up on your lottery pick after only half a season is way to hasty.

The Rockets needed to upgrade at the PF regardless so PPat was the never the long term solution. The Rockets will get a quick look at him the remainder of the season and if he doesn't pan look for that to be the number target in the summer.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

T-Rob had to play behind Cousins, Hayes and Thompson right off the bat. So he was never given free reign on the court to develop.

Robinsons' struggles so far on the court isn't too far off from Cousins in his rookie season. Cousins also had terrible shooting efficiency in his rookie season, in fact they are relatively similar.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

A lot of the article says the Kings' scouting was bad. I'll trust Morey's scouting over theirs any day.

More worried about Robinson's unstable character and lack of family. McHale is not gonna take any crap, but Robinson could be a less positive locker room presence than the guys we lost.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Morey did say that the Kings have asked about Patterson before, so apparently they really liked 2pat.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Sour grapes. Nothing more. Anyone who actually thinks the Maloofs pulled this trade for basketball reasons is an idiot, as has been observed by tons of people.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lets say worst case scenario, he turns out to be a bust. What's the most we lost? Patrick Patterson? I'll take those chances. Unless Pat turns into a franchise forward, he is replaceable and with the young talent we have at PF, he was made expendable.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The thing is that all of these things are true. The Kings were not happy with how he was developing. My friend is a huge fan and thinks they ripped us off completely.

The upside is that the franchise is a disaster and this could be a big part of TRob's slow start. I'm not positive he is going to turn it around but I think we will put him in a good spot to do so. There is a lot of rotation time he can earn at both the 4 and the 5. I think he should be able to turn into a Faried type and there is nothing wrong with that. I do hope he works on some post moves and I think he can learn them because he seems like he has a good work ethic.

9. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Look at JJ Hickson's stat with the Kings and then look at his stats this year with Portland. That should tell you alot about that organization and their mismanagement of talent.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do they know why? I mean, if the Saceattle K's didn't do their due diligence on TRob why suspect they know much of PatPat either?

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I ain't even scurred. Lin had much worse articles written about him and his alarmingly weak game in his Golden State days. People get missed when not used the right way. Happens all the time. There's no way you can convince me that giving up so early on such a prospect was for basketball reasons. Really, after his achievements in college and all that scouting by many many teams, it took 3 months of limited time in a dysfunctional environment to write him off. I don't think so. Homie dont play that.

#11 raskol, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Complains about undersized PF who can't finish,

trades for Patrick Patterson.

3 people like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Robinson hasn't shown much yet, but he was on the absolute worst team to help him learn.

I'm not worried.

For the short term, we probably weakened ourselves because Ppat, for all his faults, was in a bit of a groove lately. He and Morris shared the lion's minutes at power forward. Now we'll probably have Parsons there more, and see what we have in:

Dmo
    Tjones
    TRob

Robinson will need some serious coaching but at worst he can be our 24 mpg beast rebounder off the bench.

And, in any case, it might not matter who shakes out of those three players, because I can easily see us signing Jsmoove or Millsap (probably the former, given our interest at the deadline, when we said, "Asik and Parsons? HA! Danny Ferry, you lost your good sense along with your hair!") with our ample cap room.

Then you make some trades to clear the logjam.

Bring in Hakeem to tutor our #5 draft pick.

It probably won't be "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" around here, but he'll turn out a good pro. Can probably put him anywhere in the frontcourt depending on matchups.

14. darmor90

darmor90 Member

Exactly. Sacramento is the city where basketball goes to die. The body language is so bad when we play Sacramento and Washington. It just looks like no one is having fun besides their 'star' players who chuck and don't pass (Thomas, Evans, Cousins). Chuck Hayes is a great role player but is useless in Sactown. Same with Hickson, Landry, etc. Hopefully we can get Robinson to start loving basketball again, hopefully Sactown didn't completly break him.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lets observe the facts:

1) The Kings have perhaps the worst player development system in the league. The amount of talent wasted there over the years is absurd.

2) The Rockets are one of the best organization league at player development, along with the Spurs, OKC, Bulls and Grizzlies.

3) T Rob was a concensus top 4 talent in the draft last year.

4) The Rockets are probably top 5 in talent evaluation. Morey himself said they were trying trade up last year to get T Rob.

Given all this, I trust the Rockets staff significantly more than the Kings.

I think the Kings saw his talent level just like everyone else, but didn't know how to use his skill set, which is rebounding, running the floor, high energy, and athleticism. While that may not fit Sac, its perfect for Houston.

1 person likes this.
  16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Thomas Robinson isn't very good at this point.

With that said he is extremely athletic and has some upside down the road. If he ever refines his offensive game, and learns how to channel his athleticism he should be a solid player for years to come.

I live here in sac and watched many games....he isn't very impressive at this point in his career.

17. smr6

smr6 Member

I'm excited about this trade simply because he is raw but has tons of potential. I feel that we have a coaching staff that can really take bigmen in and coach them up as long as the player is willing to put in the extra time outside of practice.

If T-Rob has the work ethic, I think he can become a good a player here.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll trust Morey's talent evaluation above theirs. If Morey was trying to trade up to get this kid then I suspect he has some legit potential.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The kings are dumb, I'm sure they are just after Patterson because he's friends with Cousins.

20. platypus

platypus Member

When we signed Omer asik everyone was complaining that he would not project into a quality starting center. They said that he played little minutes, had no offensive game and would be foul prone.

Well a few months later Omer is a walking double double and is top five in the league in rebounding.

When we traded for James harden people were clamoring that he was just a bench player, couldn't be a number one option.

A few months later James is arguably the best sg in the league, averages 26 ppg as the primary option and will finish top 5 in MVP voting.

The fact of the matter is that our front office's talent evaluation is solid and I completely trust their evaluation of t-rob.

2 people like this.