1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Unofficial scorer: Artest might not be enough for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 11, 2008.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5935617.html

2. batkins

Chron says this was written late on Sunday night, though I defiantly think I've read this article before. I don't know...

3. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I know I've read this before...unless this is one of the more potent deja vu moments in my life.

4. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Well I got a quick question, was the team of 30 years ago a defence team? Or a completely all offence team like the washington wizards? (No defence) there's a lot of teams with 3 20ppg scorers but houston have 3 20ppg scorers on a team that relies on defence mostly to win games. I think that's what makes the difference here to the team the rockets had about 30 years ago with, malone, calvin, and rudy, to ron, yao, micgrady.

5. LoveRoxHateJazz

Let's play worst case scenario.

T-Mac 23ppg
    Yao 22ppg
    Artest 14ppg
    Scola 11ppg
    Rafer 9ppg
    Battier 9ppg
    Landry 8ppg
    Brooks 5ppg
    Barry 5ppg
    -----------
    106 ppg

I'm not going to include Mutombo's 2ppg, Hayes' 4ppg, Head's 5ppg, or whatever Dorsey averages because they are situational players and wont be in the regular rotation.

I think we are fine scoring wise. The chron is obviously thriving Rockets related news.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol so worst case scenario we average 117 ppg? I like the way you think! tell us about your best case scenario.

7. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Im not sure about landry and battier averaging 8 and 9 a game, maybe landry do to shortage of centers. And he is the primary backup to scola but its alittle hard to see battier 9 a game

T-mac=33-35mpg
    23-25 ppg

Artest=33-35mpg
    17-20 ppg

possibly(likely) these players are going to play more minutes than what I listed because of close competitive games.

So saying battier gets about 15-20 minutes a game. 5-7ppg

8. batkins

Adding up PPG's does mean anything for overall PPG. As if that was true, Houston would have averaged about 122 PPG last season...

I expect...

McGrady - 24 PPG
    Yao - 22 PPG
    Artest - 16-18 PPG

9. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Lol which is true, but, its always intresting to guess how much their going to average of course not every day t-mac is going to have 22-25 point nights or battier with 7 points nights. He might end up with a 20point random night but I always find it fun and intresting to project how much they'll average and how much they actually will.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The way the Rockets are built. And the type of scorer Artest is... I wouldn't be surprised if we are near the bottom in PPG. The difference will be we won't have as many droughts, and Artest will muscle shots up.

But guys... Artest was coveted by the contenders for defense. On offense he chucks it up, is a ball stopper, its all ugly offense man. Nothing smooth or fluid about it. Its okay though, we have what we need.

IMO we will look like a football team that tries to control time of possession. Slow, deliberate, calculated, etc... I dunno, maybe Adelman is a wiz.

11. LoveRoxHateJazz

Read Batkins first post verbatim. Steve Francis averaged 5.5ppg, but he only played in 10 games.

Who said we would average 117ppg? I gave you the worst case scenario ppg for each player. If everyone is healthy the entire season, with our offensive firepower and Rick running the show, we could average 106 ppg.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets will never average many PPG because we play a slow pace. This will continue to be the case as long as Yao's here. The Rockets are NOT going to average 100 ppg, even under best case scenario.

However, their offensive EFFICIENCY will rise with Artest, because we needed a shot-creator. Something that only Yao and T-Mac could do last season.

Artest may not be a great team-oriented offensive player, but the Rockets were really bad last year in offensive efficiency(something like 17th in the league).

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is really stupid. He's going to compare a different team and different league all together with today's modern team and league situation.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I can appreciate the spirit behind the article, but that was a pretty meaningless and trivial comparison, and quite a stretch, with all things considered.

IMHO.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Does it have to be a slow pace with a low post center? The Suns still scored 107.8 pts a game with Shaq in March. Shaq won't be winning sprinting contests, anytime soon.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Landry will definitely get his chance of 8-9 pts, when Yao gets injured this year. He's already shown that ability. I think T-mac's minutes and PPG will be lower. Adelman had to cut short Mac's rest time, last year, because the offense would stagnate too much with Luther Head and Bonzi.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The article was a poor attempt at comparing apples to oranges.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

More like apples to peanut butter

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. And somehow I think our three stars aren't going to score more than 55 points a game. Call me a pessimist. There's a major shortage of those guys at the moment.

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This is a old article, I read it a couple of days ago.

My first thought was what about Hakeem, Cylde and the Chuckster? That was a team I thought was gonna be unstoppable, until we got mugged by Utah.