1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Training Camp Opens (Mo/Rice Slimmed Down, Thomas a Rock)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<i>Rockets cautious, optimistic
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Tell anyone how great they are, and they generally won't argue. The Rockets didn't.

Owner Leslie Alexander's proclamation last week that the Rockets are "one of the great teams ever assembled" was well received by the Rockets. Their agents might still be celebrating. But Rockets players have been talking about greatness long enough that as they headed to Austin for the start of training camp on Monday, they grew tired of making promises.

Compliments are nice and they certainly beat the alternative, especially when they come from the owner. But after three seasons left out of the playoffs, the Rockets had grown tired of love songs.

"It's his product. Obviously, he's going to think highly of his product," Rockets forward Maurice Taylor said. "It's the best team I've ever been on from 1 to 12. You won't know until you're on the court. We can say today how good we're going to be. We can say what we want to do, but you're not going to know until we get on the court.

"We can talk and say all the things we want, but our record will show us what kind of team we are. Talk is cheap. I know Les is excited about the talent he has here, but we have to prove it."

Alexander seemed surprised that his comments would draw as much as even a double take. He has made similar declarations before. He called Yao Ming, the first player taken in the draft, "The biggest story in the history of sports." Of Steve Francis, he said, "There is no better young point guard in the history of the NBA at this stage."

When Francis signed this summer, Alexander announced, "This is the team that I think will bring us some championships in the years to come. We have incredible talent at every position."

"I've been here 10 years ... ," he said Monday. "I've never said anything I don't believe in."

But when he added a historical perspective, he not only revealed the level of his confidence, he seemed to increase the pressure on his players and coaches coming off a 28-win season while adding rookies and players coming off injuries.

"I'm as excited as I've been since I bought the team almost 10 years ago," Alexander said. "The first season (1993-94) was unbelievable. To win a championship the first year you own a sports franchise is the most incredible thing that can happen to a sports fan. That aside, this is easily the most excited I've ever been. The team has tremendous potential and I'd like to see it in play."

Alexander said Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich and general manager Carroll Dawson already knew how he feels.

"To me, it was an owner feeling good about his players, and these guys have to feel good about that," Tomjanovich said. "I did not feel any pressure whatsoever. I know what we're up against. I also know who we are.

"I like this team a lot, I really do. But we have guys coming back from injuries, we have new players, we have to develop a chemistry. And how do I feel about that? Great. I feel it here (in my heart)."

<b>But as remarkable as Alexander's confidence seemed, his players said it is warranted. Glen Rice and Taylor are not only back from their injuries, but Rice has dropped almost 20 pounds, Taylor almost 50. Taylor weighs 262 pounds, his lightest since joining the Rockets. Kenny Thomas looks like he's ready to shoot a Bowflex commercial. </b>

Alexander said he "expects the playoffs" to include his team. His players agreed.

"I definitely think this team should make the playoffs," Rice, who has more than twice the playoff experience of the rest of the roster combined, said. "We have all the pieces here. We're inexperienced, but at the same time, it doesn't take too long to learn how to play basketball."

After a season in which they fell apart from training camp until the season's last game, the Rockets pledged to have their rebuilt parts can instead fall into place.

"It's possible just because you have so many guys that can do so many things," Francis said. "I've been here three years and everybody's been saying the same thing, 'We want to win, we want to win.'

"For me, I think I'm hungrier to be in the playoffs, one. And two, I just think it's time. I think it's time we take that next step."

The boss could not have said it better himself. </i>

2. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I absolutely loved what Mo had to say, even though it was just high-end jock-speak. It still impressed me.

Les comes off more and more like Sparky Anderson. Like Sparky, all of his comments might just be justifiable if you look at it in a very narrowly defined and still optimisitc way, but as a whole they come off sounding a little like wedding day toasts.

3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

A ripped Kenny Thomas, that's so cool. :cool:

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Bowflex?? Damn, I saw that guy on that commericial and he is cut...

And Kenny like that? Now that is going to be some muscle at the 3 and 4.....:D

5. Sane

Sane Member

The best news out of this article is that Rice dropped 20lbs.

6. Sane

Sane Member

I also just realized how much more competitive camp got. No one is letting up,everyone is doubling their effort. The determination is incredibble. No one demanded for a trade,or nagged about management's direction. Everyone is trying to be the last man standing.

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Damn! it is exciting! Can't wait another month before the season starts!!! :mad:

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Jeff..

Believe it or not, the following comment about Mo T isnt going to be derogatory.

I complained when he was a porkball and my concern now is whether or not he is too light. He couldn't bang or rebound with other 4's when he was 280 or so, Im wondering how he going to do it now.

My hope is that he gets light/quick enough so he can play the 3 more than he plays the 4 (the fact that i just said something to the extent that I want Mo to play at all is making me dizzy)...this way , maybe Eddie can bulk up and play the 4.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny, if you go to the Chron article now, this sentence isn't in there.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Barkley's playing weight was in the 250-260 range and he had no problem banging and rebounding. Mo should have no problems at least picking up where he left off or even elevating his game. However, IMO we won't see him playing the 3. Mo is quick and strong as a PF, but he doesn't have the quickness to chase the other 3's in the league around the court.

11. NJRocket

I'm sorry...I thought for a minute there you were saying that since Mo is the close to the same weight as Barkley was, he would be a good rebounder too.

check please:rolleyes:

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, the bowflex comment apparently didn't make it passed the editor (it was not in the paper), presumably because it named a product. i guess.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hope this doesn't mean we're trading him because that would just plain suck. He is player that has improved every year he has been in the league and looks to have improved this season.

If he is traded, I hope we get fair value for him like a SG with great upside to back up Cat.

You think we could trade him to the lakers for Rush or something similar???

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You're right, I didn't say that Mo hater. ;)

I was debating your insinuation that a 260 pound PF couldn't bang or rebound effectively and used Barkley as an example. While it is possible that a slimmed down Mo Taylor could become a good rebounder, I'm not having any delusional Barkley-type expectations. As you see I said that Mo should have no problems at least picking up where he left off, but it is possible that he could elevate his game.

15. NJRocket

fair enough

16. Sane

Sane Member

Who said Mo COULDN'T bang before?

It's not that he couldn't, it's just that he sometimes wouldn't.

Why can't we hire someone for a while to teach our players how to rebound properly. Boxing out, knowing where to be, stuff like that....Can't barkley help us in ths area?

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sane,

Do you know who Larry Smith is?

<b>Trivia Time</b>: What two players share the NBA record for most offensive rebounds in one quarter?

#17 heypartner, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Wouldn't that already be one of Larry Smith's functions?

IMO, a major aspect of Barkley's rebounding ability was attitude...and I'm not sure he could teach that.

I'm becoming optimistic the Rockets can get some of thier moneys' worth from Rice. I recall early on last season that Rice can still post up any SF smaller than he is. With Yao as a release valve, Rice will not have to force the issue if the postup is not there. I have visions of Yao passing to everyone...including a post entry to Rice.

C'mon Glen...make me eat my words!

#18 GATER, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

6' 10" and 260 pounds isn't big enough to bang? Rebounding is mostly boxing out, and that's the area MT probably needs the most work - fundamentals. The key though is hustle and desire, that's what got the undersized Barkley a lot of those bounds... MT is going to have to want it.

On the other hand, Rudy might look to EG as the guy he pops in when he needs rebounding and defense. That's what I love about our frontcourt now, we are very diverse, deep, and complimentary. especially if KT can move to 3 successfully. :cool:

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

There is a HUGE difference between Barkley's 260 and Taylor's 260. It's a lot easier to bang around with muscle than it is with fat...