1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Trade with Wolves unlikely (Rockets discussing Mike James deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4571973.html

Trade with Wolves unlikely
    The Rockets have had talks with the Minnesota Timberwolves about a long-shot deal in which they would acquire former Rockets Mike James and Eddie Griffin before today's trade deadline, two Western Conference officials said.

The Rockets, however, are among many teams that have inquired about James since he was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Randy Foye. The Timberwolves are insisting that to get James any team must take Griffin, whom the Rockets, and most other teams, would likely then release.

Griffin has played in just 13 games this season and not at all since he was suspended for violating the NBA/NBA Players Association anti-drug policy.

Griffin and James earn almost $8 million, making it difficult if not impossible for the Rockets to make such a deal without including either Rafer Alston or Juwan Howard, options that could make a deal with the Rockets unlikely.

2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

So lets trade Alston. Whats the holdup?? :p

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow, even if the team trades rafer for james it doesnt solve anything and I think mike is better suited for this team coming off the bench. Howard is too valuable to this team when ti comes to leadership and hitting that jumper. I think griffin would just be dumped if it goes through.

ugh seeing james in a houston jersey again would do wonders for this team, but it wouldnt happen

If only Sura was healthy we wouldnt have this problem :(

4. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I would say no if it costs us Rafer or Howard.

5. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I think the Rockets would move Alston, but the Twolves don't want him or Howards bad contract.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

It'd be pretty funny if Rafer and James were traded for each other again. I'm over James, though. Screw him, no deal.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

we need howard...ive never been a howard hater, but im sure some haters right now would agree that we need him

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yeah i agree, but if we can get him for nothing, im all for it

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Wow Eddie Griffin? Damn, that guy was unstoppable at Seton Hall. What a steal! Get it done CD! :D

10. jjfjj

jjfjj Member

Why is the rockets so obsessed with Mike James?

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

here we go with another 10 page thread....

Serve and volley, serve and volley...

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Oh, so Rafer is "nothing," eh? :D

I don't wanna see Rafer go, but I guessss I'd take James over Rafer if he were to stop totally sucking like he has been all season in Minnesota. Definitely not if Howard is involved; totally agree with you there. JHow has been BIG for the Rockets this season, and it'd be really crappy if they were to just ship him out after what he's done.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sura plus Span and JL would work.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read eddie's name and i laughed. really

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very interesting that the Rockets are calling the Timberwolves to try to acquire a player they never wanted, certainly didn't want back, has a terrible attitude, burned all bridges in Houston, would be a poor fit, can't get along with McGrady, would destroy chemistry, wouldn't play defense, wouldn't listen to the coach, would take all the shots and would never pass.

BTW, Eddie Griffin's deal is a 2-year, $3.8 million contract that expires this summer ... seems like petty change (I don't even understand why Minny is making it a requirement given that it expires in a few months). Is that contract information accurate? I'm sure James' contract is a little trickier to work with, given the trade kicker.

Edit - A little more digging and it looks like Eddie's contract has a player option for next year...

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Rockets mis-used him. He deserves a 13th chance. He was in the wrong system. He has unbelievable potential. I once saw him eat a car.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

You guys do know Eddie Griffin is only in talks so the Wolves can get rid of his contract, right? The Rockets would waive him immediately but take on his contract.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

you also left out JVG and the rockets made a YUUUGE mistake cuttinh him and not getting anything of value for him. I mean dont you think the bag of potato chip or box of donuts they coulda gotten would come real handy now, seeing as we have Bonzi on our team. :D

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is interesting. Not exciting... But interesting. I dont see the Rockets trading Alston for James, I mean its been done already. And EG?? Well ya he does eat cars but still...

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah, Eddie had a rough time here, no doubt...but I don't think he ever played with TMac... :D

Oh really?!? that notion probably flew over everybody's head, especially if they missed reading it in the article....dammit, the Rox need his shooting skills...get it??? "shooting" skills...haha