1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

The cumeaters even sanitized his quote. The Comical has no integrity whatsoever.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Who's another cheap owner in the NBA?

He and Whatever-it-Takes Tilman can go to the local YMCA and pick'em out of the lineup of guys who show up to play.

Other Cheap Owner: "Red bandana."

Tilman: "'Crack Kills' t-shirt, you're with me."

Other Cheap Owner: "Nut-huggers, over here."

Tilman: "Damn, I wanted Nut-Huggers. Um........Snoop Dogg. You! Pothead! What's your name? Doesn't matter. Behind me."

Hakeemtheking, s3ts and mastan like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All this noise is because he's had a ton of success with most of his ventures and he's a new owner whose very excited. Very similar to early Cuban. Cuban's been more reserved and quiet recently because FTM harassment, male privilege, culture and resulting blow-back. Tilman should learn to speak softly and carry a big stick but he won't. Neither will Morey who also has a big ego and arrogant mouth to go along with it.

smp, Hakeemtheking and daywalker02 like this.
  4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

This is all just crazy talk from me. But is KD to Houston at all possible? I mean, right know KD gotta be like "man these guys clearly don't need me, I'm gonna go to a team that actually does". Chemistry wise, I'm sure it would work because KD is all about iso ball. Financially... well, Tilman did say he'd break out the checkbook to win a ring! Am I insane? Somebody put me in my place.

Alkaholic likes this.
  5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

"...Then, you need a little luck to win a championship..."

Yep... Like health, or Scott Foster finally being thrown in prison where he belongs.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You would have to move Paul to begin. Shedding salary after that would be pretty easy.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol, you must be thinking of Joe Lacob, the Warriors owner... I don't know what Tilman (or Morey) has said here or elsewhere that is so egotistical or arrogant. It's not like he just declared the Rockets were "lightyears ahead of the rest of the NBA". All they've said is that they want to be good. And Morey has had some tweets pumping up Harden for MVP. Please give me an example of this "arrogant mouth".

c1utchfan925 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even with a cheap owner like Alexander, Morey had opportunities to surround Harden with better talent, and when Harden was around 25-26 years old.

Disappointing if you thought Ty Lawson and Dwert Howard were the top players.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey's reputation around the league speaks for itself. Don't get me wrong, I love it so long as it doesn't hurt us with trade partners as it seems to in the past.

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Come on , as much as we all like to pick on Dwert …. He was probably the best big man in the league when he came to Houston.

The problem was that the league and rules were moving away from big men and he refused to adapt …. Its a much more perimeter oriented league now and traditional bigs really have no place in it. Even the best big men in the league now aren't posting guys up on the low block anymore , its more about guards attacking the rim from pick and roll sets.

smp and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

With what cap room?? Only way to do that is dumping CP3 (never gonna happen with his contract and injury history), Capela (possible, but still not easy) or Harden (yeah, right).

saleem likes this.
  12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

The salary cap doesn't apply to the plane.

The repeater tax was being avoided, so what happens in the future will be an indicator of how the team will be managed. The rhetoric on this board about him being cheap is massively overblown.

Relativist likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Beastin......

Jake Tower likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He traded a 1st round pick for salary dumping: anybody believing this guy ...is a sucker

15. ROXTXIA

Hindsight being 20/20, I admit. Trading away Ryan Anderson like we did.....so costly. Just admit there was no deal to be had. Yes, he was suffering from some crisis of confidence or talent, or just didn't like being Mister Stand-at-NW-Corner and wait for the pass, whatever (even if he would be unwilling to admit that any move to the basket resulted in Advil and bed rest). A shame. We'd have available a gigantic trade chip, a first round pick, and a talented rookie (albeit one Dan Tony would be unwilling to play).

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It cannot be overstated how damaging the Ryan Anderson deal was for the James Harden era.

sammy and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That too, but I was talking about the even more glaring shump move.

That’s 2 1sts then

18. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey has the reputation of being a Maverick and persistent. He isn't really viewed as arrogant so much as someone that does not play by the traditional rules. Tilman is certainly arrogant and likely a sociopath but that is par for the course.

Vivi, mikol13, sammy and 1 other person like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

Yes, I agree. And I count it under one big umbrella. But I guess Shumpert's expiring gave us more of that "f" word: flexibility.

Which leads me to another "f" word, not to be included here.

20. Alkaholic

Alkaholic Member

That’s exactly what I thought.
    KD can teach Harden how to win and give Chris Paul the ring he deserves.
    He will be the home town hero and stick it to the Warriors where it hurts .
    Harden has a history with KD and Tilman did say what ever it takes