1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Making a 25+ million dollar bet this year that another team wants the trash NEXT year is a helluva wager, yes?

That’s the whole sticking point here man. That money would just be a gamble, it would not have helped us this year and the chances of it helping next year are...idk, unforeseen at best? I just can’t fault him for not bluffing on that kind of bet.

And again, torches and pitchforks when he passes up legit help. Seemed like he would’ve done it for Butler. Seems like he’s saying he’ll do it for the right player. It’s an iffy situation for now, I’ll give you that because proof is in the pudding. I don’t think he’s proved anything just yet.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/11/houston-rockets-2019-offseason-goals-plans-free-agency/

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tilman "Whatever It Takes" Fertitta. Proof will be in the pudding this summer.

deb4rockets, tinman and topfive like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You will hear the same things for at least 5 months to a year.

lw17 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl be like "Tilman said he'll do whatever it takes to win and to improve this team. Signing Michael Carter-Williams, we feel we're doing exactly that. We think he can really help this team. We're excited to see him in action. But this is just one piece of the championship puzzle. We're not gonna stop here. We're also talking to James Nunnally and Carmelo Anthony. We'll see what happens there but I think they too can help us and give us great depth."

#145 J.R., May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    lw17 and daywalker02 like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and Les got two championships cause he inherited Hakeem and all the players that Steve Patterson and owner Charlie Thomas accumulated

The only thing Les did was change the uniform and colors and then threaten the city to build a new arena for hockey first and basketball second and then sold his soul to China

slothy420, Jake Tower and lw17 like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Hahaha Morey did undo his mistakes, but he needs to shut his mouth. Tilman too.

s3ts likes this.
  8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Morey is the analytical gambler and Ryno was the one mistake he didn't know how to handle. The playing out of holding onto the asset is the unfortunately the same sickness he was plagued by and it cost us two years. THAT HAS A COST. TWO CHAMPIONSHIPS. Morey of all people that knows to drop a loser, held onto the loser. He knew he needed to trade Ryno before he made the CP3 trade. The cost was 2 1sts and there was at least one buyer. The best time to make a trade is when you are making another because you can spread value. Morey was more concerned about winning in a trade than winning the trade. Freedom. Morey, the king of flipping assets would have had endless opportunities and time to flip positive assets to make up for shortcomings but he kept waiting for the perfect trade that never came until he finally too late accepted his mistake. He paid the Ryno price this last year and it was exactly the same price almost two years prior but without the positive assets to show for it or the time to make amends. He offered 4 1sts in the Butler trade as proof that he had finally learned his lesson only to fall victim to dealing with someone irrational. The Morey we know would not have been so desperate because he would have been prepared to act on multiple other opportunities prior but unlike any asset he has ever held, he let the Ryno sunk cost sink his ability to churn assets. What we do with Shumpert this offseason will be the lasting legacy of Morey. We wasted two years, will we waste more and continue to blame Harden for not averaging 60 but merely 35 in the playoffs. Other teams that win championships don't have $20M assets on the bench as part of their plan. Nobody decides to fight with one hand behind the back except us. Morey should write a thank you note to Harden for his new contract extension. To me, Butler is the last shot and I feel that is already gone.

9. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Tillman is more concerned about not getting to WCF then losing to GS. This clearly indicates that the mindset is not to find a way to beat the best but do whatever is takes to get to WCF so that he can sell lots of tickets in playoffs and make money.

Little Bit and smp like this.
  10. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

The irony is that our offense under MDA has reverted back to JVG style and in playoffs we win because of our defense. I would welcome JVG back as defensive guy under MDA and he may replace him next year if MDA retires.

pippendagimp and smp like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even like pudding, so I hope whatever he serves up in the offseason makes me wanting a big ole bowl of it.

12. smp

smp Member

This is so true. JVG played slow iso ball with the emphasis on defense.

MDA signature 7 seconds or less offense is nowhere to be found with this team. We are lucky if Harden is even across half court after 7 seconds.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think a lot of this has to do with limiting the workload on Harden (& CP3) …. reducing the number of possessions on both ends over the course of a season.

smp likes this.
  14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Meh. He did whatever it takes to go under luxury tax by giving away first-round pick for Shumpert.

Jake Tower, cjvnyc and J.R. like this.
  15. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

He's willing to do everything except spend money. Cheap ****er.

cjvnyc and Little Bit like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not going to call him cheap just yet and I've been one of the most vocal about the moves he has made limiting what he can do down the line.

I keep wondering if he realizes how those cost cutting moves reduce his ability to improve beyond that season.

There's just so much that's done wrong if you are trying to improve the roster and money isn't in question. He thought he could have his cake and eat it too …. With Morey seemingly always able to find a spare part for cheap like Rivers and Faried not realizing that he was extremely fortunate in both situations. Its just not that often that players that can contribute are let go like that.

Its like he's thinking "Hey , we avoided the tax this year , I don't mind paying it the coming two seasons" …. The question he forgot to ask himself was "how do we get there" having dumped your expendable expiring contract and your first round pick - without cap space or tradable contracts or exceptions , its impossible to take on salary.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes they are similar in that regard. Let's hope Tilman wins 2 rings with what he inherited the way Les did. Shouldn't be hard, Les wasn't a great owner.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This thread was a fun read.

The only thing that was hilarious was Tailman’s quote: "Asked if he believed D’Antoni is a championship coach, Fertitta said 'We don’t know. We don’t know if I’m a championship owner.'"

It’s a clever subliminal message! “Honey, does this dress make me look fat?”...”No honey, THAT DRESS doesn’t make you look fat” ... :confused:

That was a BS answer in my opinion! The correct answer should’ve been, “YES, I BELIEVE HE IS CHAMPIONSHIP COACH and we are going to prove it!!! But of course he doesn’t believe this... and if he doesn’t, not why keep him??

His answer only proves that he’s not sure (doesn’t believe) D’Tony is the man for the job! He’s keeping him on because he’s not willing to eat (at Landry’s) and pay him to step down!! It’s cheaper to fire (LOL) a coach who is not under contract!!!

#158 BamBam, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if you look back at the regular season games last year (our first w/ CP3), we were playing with a lot more pace and getting up 3's in early transition with great regularity. then since game 4 vs GS last year we completely slowed it down altogether. that style is the best recipe for trying to beat GS, but it made no sense to apply it against every single team.

Torn n Frayed and smp like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hakeem impacted the game on both ends...... and that era was not dependent on Offense that much or on 3 pters made.

Jordan was nearly unstoppable, but his team was stopped by the Magic, whom the Rox beat in the Finals.

Tilman is saying retooling is whatever it takes, one can read into that.

Disappointed but I am still willing to give him a chance as a good hearted follower.

smp likes this.