1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're a results oriented society. The media feeds what the masses want.

The only mistake KD made was to let people know he cared what they thought.

Sorry James. You're a solid person but you need to get nasty on and off the court.

But not the freak kind of nasty.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Les also inherited Hakeem and those two ships.

tinman and JW86 like this.
  3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Just get new uniforms and almost everyone here will be happier

4. Asian Sensation

He’s sounds like

A new owner.

5. kevtse

kevtse Member

Just do it

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Larger planes allow more spacing.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sure it would be nice to have more assets, but 25m or more depending on knights contract and the luxury tax, starting the repeaters tax clock (only a team looking to retain expensive rosters is worried about this) on the outside chance that some team becomes convinced to trade us a difference maker for our garbage (didn’t happen all year) is asking a lot eh?

Veterans are coming here for the minimum. We DO have a MLE, and a couple young guys that should make an impact next season (if not trade assets themselves).

If he sells short again next season, it becomes known that he’s passing on difference makers then I’ll be right next to you holding a torch or pitchfork accordingly. Until then...

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Great start

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He better not bluff. I wouldn't blame James for wanting to leave if he doesn't get some more help as promised. James gives his all, and even when he loses in the playoffs, he comes back each year ready to take the opportunity.

It starts with the draft Tilly. Let Morey work and acquire picks and flip them for proven players. James doesn't need a rook right now. He needs a proven winner.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Zion is going to be eaten alive? Young Larry Johnson with bunnies isn't going to dominate his position. I don't buy it...I'll eat my words, but I think Zion will end up being an amazing talent in HS and college, but it won't translate to the NBA. New Orleans will get some great revenue, but Julius Randle would destroy Zion. I've been wrong plenty (Hi, Kyle Lowry) but I don't buy the hype. /rant

jch1911, joshuaao, lilbird20 and 4 others like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman is trying to comfort Harden. There is not much Morey can do in free agent market. Other teams can offer more money to FA. Someone offer 1 year 7 million to rivers, he is gone. Gordon wants 4-year deal. Morey might not offer Rivers 3-year Tax MLE.

Tomorrow the bird will sing!

#130 BigBum, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah lots of talk, but Texans are great at yapping their mouths so I’m not buying it. And please stop with the Leslie was better notion, he refused to pay up several seasons and liked to take credit for at least one championship team he never helped to build.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

our whole organization is in complete disarray at the moment. Bzdelik being fired, speculation and rumors of trading for Kevin Love and so on and so forth,probably resigning Shumpert, what the hell is going on.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Taking the first step in the right direction. I see you Tillman :rolleyes:

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ok. This is not a Les vs Tilman competition though. This is an assessment of what Tilman has achieved.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Look , Tilman is telling us "he will do everything he can to make this team better."

We are not better off talent wise by having traded away Ryno/BK's contracts along with a first round pick for nothing in terms of talent.

That's the bottom line.

Basically your argument is we're ok , we can get a little better.

I'm saying we could be …. ok'er and get more than a little better had those cost cutting moves not been made.

I'm a fan of winning , not cost cutting. Don't sit there with a straight face and tell me you are going to do all you can to get better when you reduced your own ability to get better because of costs.

Sure , we're gonna be ok … we have the guy who should have won the last 3 MVP's ….

Richie_Rich and J.R. like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No. I’m saying there wasn’t a player or asset worth millions this year, nor the potential spike of many millions in a few years when hopefully the roster is in its ultimate form. Nobody wanted those contracts. Nobody wanted the picks. Nobody was sending a legit player for our scrap heap. So instead of hoping scrap heap turned out a diamond next year, even though it was pretty obvious there were zero diamonds coming from it this yet and placing a bet that would easily fund a few of our retirements on it, Tillman threw way the trash and staved off repeaters tax. I’m saying the trash heap was never going to net us a legit player.

And yes, we’ve got a nice foundation and a genius GM. And a billionaire who says when’s its right, the luxury will be paid.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did Les not ok the trade for Drexler?

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Tilman is all talk, we all know he ain't gonna do **** if it involves paying the tax

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Phx traded Anderson to Miami for Tyler Johnson and Wayne Ellington …. Miami got Anderson and a $6m trade exception.

Now Anderson is will be in the final year of his contract , watch what Miami gets in return when some team looking to dump future salary comes knocking.

Knight will be in the final year of his deal in Cleveland - watch what they get in return. Same as above , some team looking to shed future commitments will give up assets for that expiring contract.

One of those could be in your back pocket right now - along with first round pick and Melton in the case of Anderson.

What that means is:

You participate in the first round of this draft.
    You have a young promising player in Melton.
    You have a $20m expiring contract.
    You have the MLE.

Rather you have nothing but the MLE.
    No draft pick.
    No young player in Melton
    No expiring contract
    Still don't have any damn cap space which is why that expiring contract is so useful / valuable.

Sorry dude , I'll take option 1 and pay the tax if I'm trying to make my team better.

One of those options is trying to do everything you can to make your team better , the other …. not so much. But you are telling me it is.

#140 Corrosion, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    slothy420, smp, bullman0036 and 2 others like this.