1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Texans sign CB Fletcher

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by garthomps, Apr 6, 2007.

1. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

what's the scoop on this guy?

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4692593.html

CB Fletcher, Texans reach two-year deal
    Veteran expected to challenge Faggins for starting job

The Texans continued to bolster their defense via free agency by signing veteran cornerback Jamar Fletcher.

Fletcher, who visited the Texans on Wednesday, signed a two-year, $2.4 million contract. He will enter the offseason as the replacement for Lewis Sanders, who signed with the Atlanta Falcons. Fletcher will challenge Demarcus Faggins for the starting job opposite Dunta Robinson.

"We feel good about getting him," Rick Smith said. "We believe he fits in very well with what we're trying to do."

Fletcher is coming off his best season in which he had 37 tackles, a career-high three interceptions and one touchdown with the Detroit Lions. He is a six-year veteran, who has played primarily as a nickel back.

At 5-10, 186 pounds, Fletcher is small and quick. The Texans hope his experience can improve a defense that ranked 28th in the NFL last season with just 11 interceptions. The franchise also ranked 22nd overall in passing defense, giving up an average of 215.2 passing yards per game.

Fletcher is the sixth free agent the Texans have signed. He is the fourth free agent added on defense, joining linebackers Shawn Barber and Danny Clark and defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina.

2. Blitz

Blitz Member

this guy is horrible.. im sry he was the 1st round pick for the dolphins a few years back, never did anything to warrant a starting job. as a number 4 cb, sure hes fine.. as a starter? nooooo he gets burned a lot and is just a plain bad corner.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

it's another in a line of moves that doesn't provide an impact player, yet provides depth at a low impact to the salary cap.

I believe that most would agree that the Texans have more holes than can be filled in one draft. With moves like Green, Black, Fletcher and the linebacker we signed, Rick Smith has tried to improve depth without killing the cap. This will allow the draft to address some key needs this year while improving competition at others.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why are people making such a big deal out of this move? It's for depth. If he becomes a starter, then great. If not, then it didn't cost much.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Because they have to have something to b**** about.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We have a viable backup now? sweet.

7. msn

msn Member

Incomplete poll. Where's the "I like this move. Solid depth signing." option?

Seriously, do we have to only like a signing if the guy's going to be a pro-bowl starter?

I like the signing. I didn't vote in your poll. :p

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

He was good on Madden NFL for a few years if it counts!

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm ok with any move that allows the Texans to sit back and let the draft come to them. Signing Ahman Green and trading for Matt Schaub means the Texans don't have to trade up to get Peterson/Quinn or reach for Lynch at number 10.

Signing depth is never a bad thing especially when you consider how thin the Texans have been traditionally. It seems they compete well enough when their front line guys are healthy and playing, but there's a big drop when they're forced to go to their backups.

Zgonina, Black, Barber, Clark, and now Fletcher have given the Texans some vets to come in and fortify the second string a bit and push the starters a little harder.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

all these moves they are making are to make up for the fact they didn't draft Vince Young. Who cares about these journey mean. Green - he's an avg starter at best. He's 30 something.

Draft another wideout and some OL.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The two options (besides the 'opt out' option) for this poll are extremes. Reading the first option strikes me as too optimistic, while the second strikes me as way too pessimistic.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He's a good journeyman, depth player. Those are really important in football. He's not going to start, but he might be the best backup at any position on the team.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, yeah I'm sure that's why we're signing free agents...

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I heard Tennessee was actually sitting out the draft this year.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

That's all we've got, if we're going to count Dunta Ronbinson as our best corner. He's an undersized Safety, and we need 2 corners.