1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Texans Show Interest in Robert Ferguson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Aug 17, 2007.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5064189.html

Aug. 17, 2007, 6:48PM
    Texans confirm interest in ex-Packers receiver Ferguson

By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Texans are interested in veteran receiver Robert Ferguson, who was placed on waivers by the Packers on Friday.

As soon as the Texans landed in Phoenix on Friday afternoon, general manager Rick Smith called Brian Overstreet, the Houston-based agent who represents Ferguson.

Ferguson, 27, grew up in Houston, played at Spring Woods High School and Texans A&M. He resides in Houston in the offseason.

"I can't imagine a better place for him," Overstreet said.

Ferguson has a history of injury problems, including a season-ending ankle injury in 2006. He's never caught more than 38 passes in a season.

If Ferguson could stay healthy, he'd be starting for the Packers. Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was Green Bay's head coach when Ferguson was selected in 2001. The Packers waived him because they have three talented young receivers behind starters Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

Kevin Walter, who has never caught more than 19 passes, starts opposite Andre Johnson. Rookie Jacoby Jones and injury-prone veteran Jerome Mathis, who has remained healthy through training camp, are backups with veterans Keenan McCardell and Andre Davis.

"A few other teams called, but I told them I wanted to be honest with them," Overstreet said. "I told them we wanted to talk to the Texans first because I don't know of a better situation for Ferg than to play for his hometown team for the coach who drafted him (Sherman).

"We'll just have to talk to them to see where they stand right now before we take the next step."

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...=12&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Veteran wide receiver Robert Ferguson was released by the Green Bay Packers Friday and FOX 26 Sports has learned the Texans are interested in the former Texas A&M player.

Texans general manager Rick Smith and Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet, confirmed to FOX 26 they have made preliminary contact.

"We are talking to him and gauging interest on both sides," Smith said.

Overstreet added, "There's definitely some interest on both sides. We imagine we should be talking with Houston more about it soon."

Ferguson, who turned pro after his junior year at A&M in 2000, admits to FOX 26 he's intrigued with the idea of playing for the Texans.

"The thought of playing for the Texans gets me very excited," Ferguson laughed. "I was a long-time Houston Oilers fan. It's been a long-time dream of mine to play at home."

Ferguson said he doesn't expect money to be the deciding factor in coming to terms.

"The business part is very important," he said. "That is a situation that has to be worked out. I am looking at the opportunity more than the money. I don't think money will be a huge issue. Money will not say yea or nay."

Overstreet says five other teams have expressed interest including the Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins, Bills and Vikings.

Ferguson has had an injury-plagued career in six seasons with the Packers. He suffered a season-ending foot injury and missed the last 12 games while on injured reserve last years. In 2005, a knee injury forced him to miss five games and a frightening neck injury prematurely ended his 2004 season. An assortment of injuries kept him out of all but one game in 2001, his rookie season

In his only healthy seasons, Ferguson caught 22 passes for 293 yards and 38 for 520 in 2002 and 2003 respectively. He was expected to be the Packers' No. 3 receiver last season before going out with an injury in Week 4.

Ferguson says all those health concerns are behind him.

"I am great," he said. "I feel better than I did in college. The last few years I've had some bad luck with injuries and now I'm having some good luck. My tank is completely full. My body is very healthy for a seven-year veteran. I am ready to go."

Ferguson also has no ill feelings toward Green Bay, where he says he hadsmany happy memories.

"I think it was handled the right way," Ferguson said of his release. "It was not dragged out. I think I can benefit from that. It's just a situation where they wanted to go another way and I have no problem with that.

"There were a number of (big moments with the Packers). So it is hard to say just one. I don't regret anything. My time there was great. I had many great moments."

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I sign Ferguson. He is still young and has a lot of skills. McCardell is okay but he is old and this team needs players who could stretch the field. Walter seems nothing more than a slot receiver. Jacoby looks like he could be a stud but Ferguson is worth a chance especially if you could get him at the league minimum which I doubt. A crop of AJ, Ferguson, Walter, Jones, and Mathis would be real nice. In the end, I think he ends up in Minnesota or Dallas.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

I remember watching him play football and basketball at Spring Woods. We was a teammate of my best friend. I hope he can make it whether its here or somewhere else.

6. conquistador#11

we don't have enough receivers in the depth chart, bring on ferguson!
    i hope he can stay healthy, he really has alot of talent.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Texans a&m

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

He can't hurt us. We need wide recievers bad, so i see no risk involved. Not a splash by any means. He won't exactly be on anyone's fantasy football team.

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

did you hear about the tight end that went into prison and came out a wide receiver? LOLOLOLOL

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

All washed up.

11. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I wouldn't go that far. A friend of mine plays in my league and is an Aggie and Texans homer (although he played at Memorial, not Spring Woods). If Ferguson signed here he'd probably be chosen by my friend in the first 5 rounds. I'd then get to laugh at him and call him a moron.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The Houston Expackers

13. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I know you can never have enough good players on your team, but why take a chance on an injury prone guy when we've got Jones and Mathis having good camps? I don't mind bringing him if somebody goes down, but signing him now would lead me to believe they aren't happy with what we've got, and i hope that isn't the case.

I think McCardell has one good year left, Walter is a decent 4th and hopefully Jones or Mathis continue to improve and contribute right away at the reciever position as well as special teams.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

get his ass signed

mccardell and davis are not long term solutions

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Injury prone and never caught more than 38 passes in a season...

AJ, Walter, Jones, and Mathis are all above him on the depth chart...and that doesnt include Keenan and Andre Davis.

He doesnt add anything we dont already have. Pass.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Does it look like Andre Davis is going to make the team? He always seemed to have potential...

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Haha...was thinking the same thing.

Obviously bringing in Ferguson can't hurt, he'll only add to our depth, but I'm not sure how much help he would actually be. We already have a lot of WRs who haven't been all that productive (Davis, Charlie Adams, Anderson, B. Johnson).

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can guarantee you that if we sign him he will be our #2 reciever next year if Keenan retires and Jones doesn't have a great rookie campaign.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If Jacoby doesnt have a great rookie campaign, we'll sign or draft someone worthy as a #2 receiver. Ferguson has never done anything to show he can be a solid #2.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Ferguson is a punk. I REALLY hope the Texans don't sign this guy.