1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Team breaks out new hand gesture for the playoffs, infuriating coach, delight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Uprising, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Exactly, they're not doing towards the other team or at their defender, they're doing it to their team mates, the guys on the bench cheering them on.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man I love this team. They are so entertaining now. They all seem so close, name 1 team that seems to be this close together. I can't.

I can't believe JVG told Deke to stop the finger wag, thank god he still does it.

I am so doing the gesture on Saturday!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Megan Manfull gave us a handful. I love it.
    Just win, guys. I don't give a damn what you do. Beat the ****ing Mavs!

#43 Deckard, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I can understand JVG's POV. It would burn me up too if someone does that hand gesture all the while his man runs back and gets an easy layup. If that ever happens, then the hand gesture needs to stop until timeouts are called due to hitting big shots.

Mutombo's finger wag is the same thing, save it until we actually have the ball and dribbling upcourt. I keep thinking, all the while Deke is doing that finger wag, he coud be going for the rebound/loose ball. I think it's happened a few times where he did that finger wag while somebody from the other team grabbed the blocked shot and put it back in. Drives me nuts.

Also, this article ruins the mystique and spontaniety of it. It'll become played out. It should also be reserved for big shots that causes the other team to call timeouts. I remember Mario Elie did the kiss of death gesture a couple of times after his infamous one in the Sun series, wasn't the same feeling. The great thing about the particular one in the Sun series was that it was Mario's raw gut reaction after he hit that shot and saw Danny Ainge across at the Suns bench.

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If I'm Avery Johnson I have a picture of Sura making the gesture blown up 6 ft. tall and humg on the locker room wall...

Rockets- MESSAGE-- Shut up and play ball...

You are setting yourselves up for a classic...

I dare not even think it...

Note to JVG- Time to kick some tail on your on club and get this team properly focused for a SEVEN game series.

We have done nothing yet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

We played that game in the 80s.

8. GladiatoRowdy

Dude, where have you been? We have made fun of Manfull's name dozens of times.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Maybe that's the secret- let's watch for bruises on arms tomorrow night.

J

10. GladiatoRowdy

LOL

11. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Now If Only Yao Will Do It

That would be da bomb!!! I bet the whole the bench would be up screaming if Yao ever did it. JVG meanwhile might lose some more hair.

theSAGE

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Man, I love how this team is so tight together. It's a real team in every sense of the word.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We need someone to make, oh a few thousand fliers of Sura doing it to hand out at entrance.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, not just a Humble thing. We used to do it in Mo City, too. Except we'd add "caught that eye" to it... :D

15. mulletman

mulletman Member

i can understand the desire to stay humble and hungry, but i'm not so sure what sura did is "bulletin board material". its not like dallas was all quiet after they hit their big shots. did you see jason terry after every shot he made? he was acting like they just won the championship - turning to the crowd and waving his arms up and down.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Simple solution: JVG hates the gesture because it distracts the players from getting back. So the fans should do the gesture, and the players should do what McGrady does: Make that "you're my b****" face, which can easily be done while backpedaling. It would be very impressive and clear from everyone -- except Sura, who looks that way all the time.

17. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I really enjoyed that moment when Sura did the low 3 sign. The FSN broadcast didn't show it like the TNT one did. I found it very entertaining and it pumped me up because it seems like Bob Sura isn't the type to celebrate like that. Not only did he do that, the bench jumped up and did it as well, even Wesley. I thought it was only fitting that Dallas called a timeout as well, that is what made it even sweeter.

It's a lot different than Jason Terrys antics..

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think we need our own super-secret ClutchFans BBS hand gesture, so we'll be able to identify one another in the arena and in the street. How about something like this?

[​IMG]

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have no problem with it. This is a symptom of this team's personality...a really, really close team with inside jokes. These guys actually like each other!!! They're actually friends!!! How rare is that in pro sports??? I think it's hilarious that these guys goof off some...they certainly get the job done.

This team is inspired. Big time. That's what you're seeing here. Not only am I cool with it....I freaking love it!!!!! :D

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I'm not stupersticious and get pumped when the team gets pumped.

If Dallas doesn't like it, they can start playing basketball.

I do think an entire article on it is kinda silly, but then Sura and Barry are just the type of players to start this ****. They crack me up.

[​IMG][​IMG]