1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Sura returns to practice for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4043336.html

July 12, 2006, 8:01PM
    Sura returns to practice for Rockets
    Yao's working out, too, GM says

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets moved a step closer to getting guard help, after all. Guard Bob Sura, out all of last season, moved his rehabilitation to the practice court for the first time since knee surgery last season.

"He's been here the past couple days," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "He's been on the practice court. He's making a lot of shots. We'll see how that works out."

Last season, Sura, 33, had surgery on a microfracture in his right knee.

Rockets center Yao Ming is also on the practice court, having been cleared to run, if not for full workouts.

"Right now, Yao is back in Beijing," Dawson said. "He's on the floor with the team every day, but he's not actually playing with them. I think he will be released around (Aug. 1) to start playing again. For all intents and purposes, he's well. So is Tracy ( McGrady)."

Alternatives eyed
    When Mike James turned down the Rockets on Tuesday, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson began formulating a free agent Plan B. He had plenty of help.

Agents representing guards that would like to be next in line for an offer began calling, but Dawson said he was not ready to target another guard to help with the Rockets' backcourt void they had hoped James would fill.

"We got a pool of five or six guys," Dawson said. "We got film we're letting the coaches get a look at. You're always trying to find that find that will come in and do well. Like Mike James. Three years ago, he was kind of out of league, and look what happened."

So far, Dawson said, he has not concluded any free agent is ready to blossom like that.

"But we just started," he said. "Plan B started yesterday. I've said before: It's not a great year for free agents. We're in the process of going on down the line and putting together a group. The one thing I've never believed in doing and never will do is just have a knee-jerk reaction when something happens that you didn't plan on or like and go out and make a bad play.

"We'll go on down the road. We'll find the next guy. We'll get our share here."

Caught off guard?
    With the terms of the contract offers (about $23.4 million over four years) comparable, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said there were few signs that the team would not be able to sign Mike James until shortly before James chose the Timberwolves.
    "I was surprised," Dawson said. "There's no doubt about that. He campaigned pretty hard to get here. Usually if you don't get a person it's because you don't have enough money or you don't have enough years. That wasn't the case. As far as I know, we were right in there, according to what his agent was telling me.

It was a shock. Those things happen, but I felt good about it all the way. There weren't any bumps in the road. I think we did our work very well. We were very diligent about it."

2. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

The picture from the article...

[​IMG]

What's Bobby looking at?
    Where the hell is Bobby hand?
    Why does Yao have that expression on his face?

3. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i think this is what all GM says to calm the fans down. in CD's bedroom, he must have giggled damn u mike james.

4. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

"But we just started," he said. "Plan B started yesterday. I've said before: It's not a great year for free agents. We're in the process of going on down the line and putting together a group. The one thing I've never believed in doing and never will do is just have a knee-jerk reaction when something happens that you didn't plan on or like and go out and make a bad play.

that hurts

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I hope that I'm not overly critical about the current situation, and I have certainly expressed how ticked off I was about Rudy Gay..... but I can't help saying. WTF????? Plan B started 10 years ago! Unfortunately, the Rockets just got on board yesterday. Too bad, because Colangelo snapped up a two time Euroleague MVP guard recently that sounded like a terrific find. Why don't the Rockets have a fantastic resource of info on international and developing American players at their fingertips? Don't they have scouts and personnel reviewing tapes all the time? Why would they just start pulling out the tapes yesterday??

Unfortunately, I have to say that CD sounds incompetant with that statement. Bad luck, bad decisions, bad judgement... none of those are even close to bad preparation.

------------------------------------------

Better yet.... Rockets.... Hire me! I may not know sh*t about playing, coaching, or scouting basketball, but in one month I'll know more about basketball players outside the United States than you do.

#5 Doctor Robert, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  6. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

lol totally true. We need Ariza here.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Ya gotta give it up for Feigen....dude is pretty darn good at BS 'n spin. Maybe he can earn some overtime by writing the sales pitch for the ticket office as well.

8. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

Sura is coming back from the dreaded microfracture knee surgery and he is 33. Can he even contribute anymore? That's the question with Sura. I wouldn't count on it.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

NBA scrub Travis Hansen formerly of the Atlanta Hawks shooting in EL:
    fg% 43.0% 3pfg% 44.0% ft% 89.6%

Chris Anstey is a prized center in Europe.

Unless the player is a young up and coming player with potential I wouldn't be too bothered with ELers.

10. docgundy

docgundy Member

Sura will be our starting 2. We need him. I love him so much. I've been miserable not watching him play.

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Colangelo has been the absolute best judge of talent in the NBA the past 3 seasons, so if there is anyone in this league I would put money on finding talent, it is him. Diaw alone proves the point.

12. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

WTF? This is what really ticks me off. They start formulating plan B AFTER Mike James rejects us???

13. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

then we are headed for lottery.

14. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I said all along that Sura would be back and now he is. This is great news for the Rockets. He brings us more gaurd depth. Tmac, Yao, Alston, Battier, Sura, Howard, Novak, Hayes, Mutombo, Bowen and another Free Agent gaurd we will be a very deep and good team again this coming season. Go Rockets!!!

15. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I know really this is getting frustrating. We wont get anyone and hope Sura comes back and Alston mysteriosly finds a shooting touch and Howard thinks of playing defense :mad:

16. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

Also include in that list Kieth Bogans when he finally resigns. Go Rockets!!!

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

"Usually if you don't get a person it's because you don't have enough money or you don't have enough years. That wasn't the case. As far as I know, we were right in there, according to what his agent was telling me."

Can it be more evident that you miscalculated, CD?

18. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

No, never believed in a knee-jerk reaction like trading James for Alston because of an injury to Sura. Or trade the 8th pick to a division rival before knowing it's Rudy Gay. Whew, glad they would never do that.

19. Dei

Dei Member

Now only if we can get Jon Barry playing...

20. Ryan Bowen MVP

lol the chronicle always uses the gayest pictures its so weird