1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Sura Not Returning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justinh, Jan 3, 2007.

1. justinh

justinh Member

I looked and didnt see this posted yet. I dont post much (just read often), so please excuse me if its already here or posted in the wrong format. I wasnt happy to have found this:

(Look for 'Update on Sura' on RIght Column )
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4442952.html

Kevin Fujii: CHRONICLE

"Rockets guard Bob Sura has not yet officially called it quits on his 11-year NBA career. But Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy is no longer expecting the 6-5 guard to return from the multiple knee surgeries that have had him in rehab for the past 20 months.
    "This is the second full year he's been out," Van Gundy said. "He's tried his very best and to date it just hasn't worked out. Frankly, I don't think it will obviously. But he gave it his best effort."
    Sura, whose expiring contract pays him $3.84 million for this season, was unavailable for comment. He has not played since the 2005 first-round playoff series against Dallas."

2. justinh

justinh Member

i cant see where to edit my orig post, but i meant to put a "...?" at end of title. Apologies. Please delete admin if this has been posted.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

I'm not buying it yet. The objectivist would say that there's no way he can come back. But it was his back that held him back last month, not his knee. I can see him coming back around February. We'll need to get him to comment to know for sure.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He had some kind of significant setback about a month ago and if JVG is saying it looks bleak, it likely does. I feel bad for the guy. He's a tough player.

5. kingkow

kingkow Member

Damn bobby,

I really love his passion for the game, but hate it when he has this annoying injury..

ANNOYING

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Who was it here that went ballistic about most of us doubting Sura's comeback? Seems like it was a fairly regular poster. That was really bizarro nonsense. Wonder what their explanation will be if/when Sura announces he's done.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Hopefully he will retire, we could use the roster spot for another big.

The guy's got a heart as big as Texas but his body can't go anymore apparently.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sad that he had to leave the game like that, but, can we get anything for his expiring contract?

It was a darned shame that we let Azubukie go in order to keep Sura now that we know he can't play.

Azub is starting at Golden State now......

DD

9. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm just curious, what more do you need to hear? He has had multiple knee surgeries. He's been out for 1.5 years and JVG has been saying the same thing since the start of training camp. All of a sudden you see him playing next month?! Even if he is clear to play, I don't see JVG activating him at all. He's done, but fortunately for us, it seems like we are doing just fine without him!

10. MONON

MONON Member

Sura was the heart of that playoff team. It's sad for it to end this way. You're a class act, Bobby. Good luck whichever way it turns out!!

11. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

its a damn shame, i wish he could come back...
    now let me ask yall, what does that mean for us? do we get another roster spot? how does that work? thanks...

12. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Yeah, I just noticed that. I guess he had 15 or 16 points tonight.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, we waived Casey Jacobson not Azub to keep Sura.

14. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

two full season is a lot of playing time

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Sura earned this type of extended wait by the Rockets. A true warrior... sad if he doesn't get to leave the game on his terms.

16. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

We almost had an accident with Bob Sura on Christmas Day. We were heading West on Westheimer, a little past Rickshaw.

He drives this.

He looked mad as ****.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I told you all several months ago and none of you would listen!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p

18. Prosun

Prosun Member

[​IMG]

The real Big Three

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Best deal for the Rox is to trade his expiring contract for a player, the team he is traded to cuts him and saves 3.84M in cap space . The article said his contract is expiring but I thought he had another year left.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Apparently the last year is a team option.