1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets aggressively pursuing Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't think that's true. Paul's only like three years older than WB, and his game is built to age far better than Russ'. Westbrick has absolutely fallen off a cliff since the end of his [already overrated] prime. Chris Paul continues to only see a slow and steady decline. Paul is going to have unbelievable IQ, court vision, shooting ability, passing ability, and handles at any reasonable age. He just won't have that ability to breakdown defenders 1-on-1 anymore, which he last had in the 17-18 season, when we were egregiously robbed of a title... but I digress :(

Plus, Paul's contract is a year shorter... I think he will be an all-star adjacent player for at least the next two of the three remaining years on his contract, and a serviceable player throughout. Westbrook is already barely a serviceable player by my count. And we have four years of this **** left.

tycoonchip likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know where to put this. Jimmy ghosted the Rockets?

gotsis, Jontro, slothy420 and 3 others like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll never understand the "Rockets optimism" in this chase if they didn't have any inside word from Butler (the way they did with CP3 when they were chasing him).

Smacks of hubris.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Jimmy Butler is not from Houston. He is from TOMBALL, the armpit of Houston. He is a weak-minded p***y that was afraid of the pressure of playing near his hometown.

Ramo$e, Blurr#7, Little Bit and 5 others like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well from the article they did have the inside word from Jimmy, but when it was time, he stopped returning calls. I think there was a reason Morey was so active on social media leading up to Jimmy signing with Miami. Morey was acting as if he know Jimmy was signing with the Rockets.

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They had optimism because he made it clear he was coming here and then changed his mind because Pat Riley is a boss. He then didn't want to communicate about it anymore.

What a freaking bummer.

We could have CP3, Harden and Butler right now.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Such a sad turn of events.

Paul / Harden / Butler would have been unreal.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Pat Riley is a boss.... or Riley said "the team is yours, you get max money, and you live in Miami". Hard to compete with that.

It's obviously worked out so far, but that's as much because of Nunn, Robinson, Herro and Adebayo's growth than Butler. Even still, hard to see them in the Finals, much less the ECF. The Pacers are also 19-9, without Oladipo much less, but are they a serious ring contender?

All that said, a-ok to change your mind... should have at least picked up the phone though.

And finally... how many times will DM be "burned" before realizing what the saying "close but no cigar" means?

burlesk and BallSoHarden like this.
  10. JackLordsHair66

Butler has always been a bit of a D, I can understand having a change of heart but to not be respectful enough to return calls is pretty scumbaggy, but what I would have expected from him tbh. Would have much preferred the trio of Harden/Butler/CP over what we have now but Butler knew this was never going to Ben “his” team. Ah well moving on ...

DreamShook and D-rock like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty disappointing. Butler truly makes every team he plays on much better.

RKREBORN and tycoonchip like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

This still hurts, was such a perfect situation...

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Regardless of everything, one thing is beyond dispute: Butler is a d!ck.

#273 topfive, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    slothy420, mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, I don't think a lot of people realize that there are probably a LOT of NBA players that don't want to play with Harden.

I mean, play defense and stand around and shoot 3s is not exactly exciting for elite level players.

DD

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

"probably" = you're totally guessing

So to rephrase your sentence properly: "Yep, I don't think a lot of people realize that DaDakota likes to think that a LOT of NBA players don't want to play with Harden."

Blurr#7, apollo33, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, because I am fairly sure that it is true - lots of players didn't want to play with Iverson back in the day too, guys want to be "THE MAN" not the "WINGMAN"....

Harden is such an elite player but he dominates the ball and there is so little movement on this team - that he would not be that fun to play with....if you are a guy who needs the ball to succeed.

You aren't getting it from Harden - he is too good. No need to get all butt hurt, it is not a negative.

DD

B@ffled likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Again, "fairly sure" = you don't really know. It's just a guess.

I'm not butthurt in the slightest, but I laugh when people post opinions here as if they were certified facts.

Blurr#7, MrButtocks, apollo33 and 6 others like this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

That may be true but I doubt it was just about Harden. Butler turned down other franchises that didn’t offer leading roles.

D-rock likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Tomball Jimmy at it again.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

TopFive out here keeping it 100. Appreciate it.

topfive, Blurr#7 and D-rock like this.