1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Situation Has Van Gundy, Rockets at a Loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Van Gundy, team at a loss

Rockets suffer from insufficient chemistry, lack of rebounding
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Jeff Van Gundy could feel the eyes rolling. He spoke of the mediocrity he saw all over the Rockets and couldn't help but question if anyone else could see as clearly through the haze of preseason optimism.

He shared the pain the losses inflicted but didn't know if anyone else felt as tormented. He saw this coming before it began and in its first stumbling steps, even though the Rockets had paired the celebrated Yao Ming and sensational Tracy McGrady.

Van Gundy has never coached a team into the lottery, and a few early missteps were easy to excuse as part of the process. Van Gundy's cries seemed as dismissed as his famously gloomy outlook, which even he mocks.

"We're mediocre," Van Gundy said two losses ago. "We're just a mediocre team, because we don't make the plays that make you good consistently. We've made some improvements, but we don't fit together like I'd like to. Our chemistry is not the chemistry of a really good team.

"I don't think you can say any one guy has done well enough. We've done well enough as a group to be mediocre. And I think myself and each one of the players is to blame."

It was not supposed to be like this. The Rockets knew their early-season schedule — no team has played more games, and no team has played as many road games — would make a fast start difficult. But a four-game home losing streak and defeats at struggling Atlanta and Toronto have given the Rockets their worst start since the 1999-2000 season. It's to the point that no loss appears to be a fluke.

"It's real frustrating," guard Jim Jackson said. "Nobody anticipated a 6-9 start with the expectations we had on ourselves. Forget outside. What we had on ourselves was to come out and start the season strong.

"Right now, if we were to grade ourselves, we would be way below average."

The sources of the Rockets' disappointment, and of their potential turnaround, have become clear.

Yao and McGrady
    Just putting a proven, dynamic scorer on a team with a center assumed to be the Western Conference's new best was supposed to be a step in the tradition of the great inside-out duos. That was what made McGrady want to play for the Rockets. And Yao was the reason Van Gundy cited most often when he chose to coach the Rockets, passing on other overtures around the NBA.

But Yao has been overwhelmed defensively by quickness and has been inconsistent and error-prone offensively.

McGrady, the league's two-time reigning scoring champion, knew his numbers would come down. The Rockets' defensive style, as much as their offense, limits possessions per game. And McGrady never has had to look inside before looking for his shot, as he does now.

But McGrady has been solid, rather than spectacular, and seems to be losing patience with the process.

"We're all frustrated," McGrady said. "Losing four straight at home is very disappointing. We also expected a lot out of Yao and myself.

"I'm seeing a lot of double teams, which I didn't expect to see coming here with Yao. But it's happening.

"I'm better than what I'm playing. I've never felt this way in my career as far as my game, the hesitation in it. I'm playing solid, but I'm capable of playing twice as (well). It's because I'm in a new system, and it's because I'm playing with a guy we have to go inside-out."

McGrady did have five consecutive games with at least 20 points, getting a season-high 33 in one and a season-high 11 assists in the next. But he used to hiccup 20 points.

"I'm used to running a play five, six times in a row (with the Magic)," McGrady said. "Coach likes to get everybody involved. It's tough for me to get in rhythm like that."

Shaky defense
    The Rockets rank second in the NBA in opponents' scoring and fourth in defensive field-goal percentage, but they are not happy with their defense. They allow penetration, often getting Yao in foul trouble. They are foul prone, giving away far too many points at the free-throw line. And they don't force turnovers or block shots, taking away two of the qualities of better defensive teams.

But more than anything, the Rockets don't rebound, ranking last in the NBA in percentage of rebounds per game.

"I know one thing: You have to rebound to win," Van Gundy said. "You have to. Whatever we have to do to rebound is what we have to do.

"Our rebounding has been a concern for a long time (this season). What has to happen to rebound ... rebounders rebound. We obviously aren't pursuing the ball as well as we should. You can't just talk about rebounding. You have to put guys in who rebound."

Personality and attitude
    The Rockets have had a variety of leaders, but the team's previous personality and attitude were clear. For good and bad, they were the swaggering, exuberant confidence of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley.

Van Gundy's New York Knicks teams were as driven as he is, filled with his near maniacal competitiveness as exemplified by Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson, Latrell Sprewell and current Rockets point guard Charlie Ward.

After adding nine new players since last season, the Rockets have yet to find a winning personality, instead modeling Yao and McGrady's amiable gentility. They and their teammates seem to be committed professionals, but there has not been a personality so strong it dominates the team.

Instead, Van Gundy has wondered if a team with so few players who have had winning records, much less contended for or won championships, accepts losing readily.

"When you're taking guys from losing situations, you don't know their mental toughness; you don't know their habits," Van Gundy said. "You don't know if they get stronger as the season goes on or weaker.

"It turned quickly from good to bad. That's usually what happens in this league. It's usually dictated by attitude."

Van Gundy would not label the Rockets' attitude. But it was clear what it needed to be.

"I don't want to speak on ours, but usually things get turned around because of an attitude where you're more determined and more passionate, and you figure it out," Van Gundy said. "When you're down like this, it doesn't just turn around because time marches on. We have a lot of guys in that locker room who just went through one of those really long losing streaks last year (Orlando's 19-game losing streak), and a lot of guys in our locker room have been on those.

"It doesn't just change because the schedule marches on. You have to actively be a participant in your own rescue. I don't think right now we're as determined."

At least the Rockets are no longer doubting the problems. But then, the problems are easy to see when eyes are not rolling.

Rockets Summary

Sura is a start
    Guard Bob Sura didn't expect to be activated for Saturday's game, much less play 21 minutes, his first action since signing as a free agent with the Rockets in August.

But for Sura, out since undergoing back surgery Sept. 1, the game represented a solid beginning as he helped the Rockets cut a 15-point deficit to three before they fell to the Nuggets.

"I haven't played against NBA players since April 15 with the Atlanta Hawks," Sura, 31, said. "I haven't played in six or seven months.

"Considering that, I thought it went all right. I thought I brought some energy, brought some toughness. I made some plays for other guys. It will come around."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was pleased with Sura's play but cautioned against looking to Sura to fix all the Rockets' problems.

"He did some good things," Van Gundy said. "I think we're looking in all the wrong places if we're expecting one guy coming back to cure our ills. He did fine. He did fine for a guy just getting back. It's much, much deeper than one guy. We have to play much better than we are."

Seeking a better mix
    After playing fewer than 18 minutes just once this season, Juwan Howard played only six minutes in Utah on Friday and not at all Saturday against the Nuggets.

But Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said the change in Howard's playing time was more about elevating Scott Padgett in his rotation than diminishing Howard's role.

"I'm trying to find a group that fits better together," Van Gundy said. "I'm playing Padgett right now. It's not about what Juwan hasn't done; it's more about what Scott has done.

"It's not about who's a better player, because that's really irrelevant. It's about trying to get more guys who have been here, who know exactly what we want vs. having so many new guys on the floor together.

"I've wanted to play Scott, and it's just been very difficult to find time. The same with Clarence (Weatherspoon)."

Howard has averaged 7.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in 19.4 minutes per game.

Padgett, averaging 8.1 minutes per game, has made 54.6 percent of his shots and 44.4 percent of his 3-point-
    ers.

JONATHAN FEIGEN
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2922584

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Okay so play Padgett and Weatherspoon which excelled in his system last year..that's what it sounds to me.

I don't know about what you guys think..but to watch this half-court Van Gundy offense is BORING. I went to the game on Saturday, and I found it very boring, uninspiring.

3. KMC1499

KMC1499 Member

T-mac sound unsure of himself. Is there a reason that we arnt running more plays for him and Yao? I wouldn't run plays fro other guys that often cause they will get there's on kick outs from double teams. This poor start is killing me. I still think Yao would be good in the high post letting T-mac cut to the basket with no big man down there.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

TMac sounds like Steve last year. Steve is laughing his ass off at TMac. It's like TMac exchanged freedom for handcuffs.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notice that Tmac describes himself as "hesitant." That was Francis' point last year about Van Gundy. Coach's gloom act is getting into the players' heads the wrong way. Not only is he not giving them a chance to get into a rhythm with certain plays, he is ripping them up for not producing out of his plays. Compare that to Rudy-T's approach which consisted of gradually installing plays and options as the players mastered various elements of the offense. JVG simply doesn't know how to teach.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Rudy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JVG

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The worst part of it all is that JVG doesn't seem to have a clue what to do. It's the job of the coach to figure out a way of the mess when the players are confused.
    I'm not saying it's all his fault because our players have their deficiencies which makes things hard for any coach but I still feel we can do better than our present state.

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Phil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rudy >>>>>>>>>> JVG, at least on offense.

I have said lots of times that wasting offensive talents like TMac and Yao like that is a crime.:eek:

9. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

how many ppl still think its Francis problem that we had last year instead of JVG? (on offense)

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NOW THAT IS A POLL QUESTION

Rocket RIver

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Steve was a problem, but it got magnified because he was trying to fit into JVG's uncomprimising system.

DD

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sad to say it, but I have been thinking that too. Rudy T wouldn't be scared to give T-Mac an iso 20 times in a row if it was working. He wouldn't force it into Yao if Yao was having an off-game.

JVG just makes offense too hard. I even remember last year, Rudy would usually give Cuttino the last second shot instead of Steve. Cuttino was just better in that particular situation. When JVG got here, he let Steve take that shot every time. The results were not as good, but JVG kept making that mistake.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wanted Rudy out because I thought he had lost Steve and company.

However, I would much rather have Rudy coaching this group.

Dang...just missed it by a year.

DD

14. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

Just like, all of a sudden, so many ppl on this board think Yao is the problem this year, and we should trade him. Sounds familiar?!

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I would hate for the Rockets to trade Yao at this time.

There needs to be a lot of adjustments from both the players and coach.

The players need to understand their roles and play hard night and night out.

The coach needs to have his system adjust to the players and not the players adjust to the system. Basically the coach needs to think more on the level of "Improvision". In every sport coaches have to learn to make adjustments and learn from their mistakes in the past.

Somewhere on the board there was a question about "The Pacers and why they are winning and we are not?" Basically the coach has made adjustments to utilize all the talent that he has in front of him. Even when the Pacers lose, they are still very competitive. So has the coach is making adjustemnts the players are understanding their roles and then playing their hearts out to make every game a winnable game.

So I am hoping that everyone makes the adjustments before it is too late and you end up with a mutiny and then the season is just shot to Hell.

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

interesting points..

it is ironic that we were calling for SF3's head and saying he doesnt fit in this system.

Now we are calling for Yao's head that he doesnt fit w/ JVG.

next season we will be harping on TMac ..

right now no one is fitting in with anyone and I think that all starts with the coach and his decision making.

1. His substitution patterns are horrible leaving Yao/Tmac on the bench for any extended period of time is insane.
    2. His use of timeouts is asinine always killing our momentum.
    3. JVG is not making the right adjustements to put his players in successful situations.

J

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

He has put JJ in successful situations:

allow him to create his own shoots against taller defenders
    allow him to shoot out of slump
    Ask both star players to sacrifice their game to create opportunies for JJ

18. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

I agree with your points about Van Grumpy. He totally micromanages the game to death. The players have no confidence in themselves.

But I don't think people are calling for Yao's head because Yao aint playing well. They're calling for his head to rescue him from Van Grumpy and send him to a better team like LA. :D

I agree we should fire Yao and send him to LA with Kobe, Divac and Rudy. Van Grumpy is good for the Rockets. Yao isn't. Heh heh... :D

19. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

If he had EG on the team, probably he would have a clue. Jack Donkey! Same old story. He has screwed of the career of many. Got rid of Tmo for Padgett. Just one of many bad moves by CD and JVG. Thanks to Steve, I am able to go to him almost everytime the Rockets is sticking up the joint. And with EG, there is even more relief for us, suffering rocket fans.

20. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

hmm what line up zould u think we should have with our current guys??

I was thinking a line up with sura at the 1, tmac at the 2, j.j at the 3 and padgett at the 4 with wspoon backing hm up and then yao at the five

and also play barret,nachbar and those guys more