1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Shot blockade a Griffin forte

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1620585

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

PHOENIX -- They came in a flash and without warning, as the best of blocked shots do.

The path to the rim seemed clear, and the league's reigning MVP held the ball so high above the court he almost seemed able to reach the plaque commemorating Hakeem Olajuwon's status as the NBA's all-time blocked shots leader. Eddie Griffin was not in the picture.

But with the night careening toward one of those typical work-on-things preseason finishes, valuable only to rookies trying to earn a job and veterans working their way back from injuries, Griffin flew into view and gave the Rockets a jolt of eye-catching, scene-stealing momentum.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan was in the middle of a typical roll when he took off for the rim only to have Griffin meet him at their highest point and swat the shot away as Duncan began to punch home a dunk. Griffin then caught Duncan from behind for another block. He closed in on Speedy Claxton to smack another shot away.

In a streak of 4 1/2 minutes, Griffin blocked four shots, and he finished Tuesday night with five. He had three blocked shots, two to snuff out apparent dunks, in Memphis last week. An unimpressed Griffin has become such a consistent shot blocker that he assumes he will get a few.

"Last year, when I was getting people's shots, I was so happy to block any," he said. "Last year, when I got Shaq (O'Neal) or Tim Duncan, I was so excited. I expect that now."

But most of Griffin's blocked shots have been unexpected in that he came from the weak side to suddenly appear in scorers' paths. By most measures, other than shot blocking, the Rockets were among the NBA's worst defensive teams last season. But coach Rudy Tomjanovich said an emphasis on weak-side help and communication as well as contesting passes into the post already have been responsible for improvement in the preseason.

"I was very pleased with our defense, especially our post defense," Tomjanovich said. "We did not allow direct passes in. I want that to be our trademark: When you play Houston, they're not going to let you catch the ball down there. It takes control away from the offense, where they have to react to you, instead of playing behind them and letting a good player catch the ball and now you have to react to them.

"Our guys were battling. It takes a lot of energy. It's not easy. Nobody practices catching the ball over their head and then getting in their move. Over the course of the game, the tension and anxiety it causes the other team has got to knock their efficiency down.

"In the first half ... I had to check to see if there was super glue on the weak side and our feet got stuck. But our guys made a conscious effort to get over there. To me, that's the key. Being alert, vision and communicating are all important."

The slow erosion of an opponent's shooting touch would constitute improvement. But there still is something special about the sudden flash of a blocked shot to inspire a team.

"It got me fired up," Tomjanovich said. "I think those things are worth more than the `1' you get on a stat sheet. You got one blocked shot, but it does something psychologically to that player and to the other team, where they start thinking there is no free ride inside. And then it's a double plus, because it pumps you up, you get that roar from the crowd, and you usually get on a break. They are big plays."

Last season, Griffin's knack for shot blocking was an entertaining novelty. He averaged 1.8 per game, which, though promising, was too few to change the Rockets' mentality. At least for a night in the preseason, a few moments rubbed off on Griffin's teammates.

"It gets everybody excited," forward Glen Rice said. "When you have a guy out there shot-blocking, it makes you bring the defensive pressure as well. You don't want him to be doing it on the defensive end by himself."

That might be the most valuable contribution Griffin could make. But as much as defense comes down to consistent, thankless intensity, there was something stirring about that flash of a split-second when shot blocker meets shot maker.

"I think it is something that gets the team going, gets the crowd going," Griffin said. "It makes a statement to the other team to let them know it's not going to come easy inside. And when I come from the weak side, guys usually don't see me coming. I try to stay in their blind spot. So when you get there, everybody gets excited."

With that, Griffin revealed that all appearances to the contrary, he could be included among the excited.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Great article on Griff. Thanks for posting it OS.

Griffin will be one of the best shot-blockers the game will ever see. Mark my words.

3. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Griff is my hero.

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Griff is awesome shot-blocker, and he will only get better as he gets used to opponents' tendencies.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Griff is like a young....

Cato?

;)

6. Sane

Sane Member

EVERYTIME I think about Eddie Griffin and Yao Ming in the paint, I get so excited about our chances of being the 5th seed. Next year, Ming and Griffin will be the bext PF/C tandem in the NBA outside of Shaq/whoever and whoever/Duncan.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Whoah..............let the season start!!!! :)

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wait until we add Ming to the mix.

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I cant believe i didnt see that game...!!!!:mad:
    i wanna see that griffin block:(

10. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

It would be interesting to see Ming @ Center, Cato @ PF & Griffin @ SF on certain match ups and see how many blocks they would have together.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Griff will even get better! have a taste of a young blood!

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Add Terence Morris at shooting guard :D. You could call it the Chinese/American wall...at least 2 blocks per player.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

If that ever would happen, Rudy would get fired.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sacriledge! :D

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Cato at PF would scare me .........him fumbling aways passes at the high post instead of the low post would give the opponent a 10 foot head start on the break ...eesh ..:D

16. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Does it bother anybody else that "Shot blockade a Griffin forte" is the most syntaxtually (is that a word?) messed up headline ever?

Apparently the chron headline writer wants us to be impressed with both his military history and high school french in the span of five words. It just sounds so ungainly, I don't know, it bothers me, sort of like Dan Langhis turkey-like head/shoulders combo.

17. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

I would have to agree with what you said about Cato ...codell.

But on offense he could play the low post with Ming playing the high post, thus taking advantage of both of their skills on offense.

They could switch on defense to keep anyone from coming inside.

Of course, this would not work against many line-ups. This would only be able to be used when the match ups allow.

18. codell

I agree, if yao and cato are ever on the court together at the same time, I think Yao will be at the 4 and Cato at the 5. Kinda like Sampson and Olajuwon.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lets not compare cato to the dream.

20. codell

I was comparing offensive structure, not talent. :p