1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rudy out for the SEASON!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CompaqC, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

Maybe you should check your reading skills for deficiencies. No one suggested Rudy did anything.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dude, you're a sick ****.

Why would Les want to find a different coach anyway? That's horse maneur.

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Nice. I totally agree.

Get well Rudy. Go Rockets!

4. LSU_MPA

LSU_MPA Member

GET WELL SOON RUDY!!!! We will all pray for a quick and complete recovery!

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

wow.

Get well soon Rudy.

And to the rest of you; let this be a lesson to you.

THIS is what happens when you stop drinking. ;)

6. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Somehow, I just wish this was all just their sick idea of an April Fool's joke!

get well Rudy :(

7. Timing

Timing Member

Sad news but get better RudyT. :(

8. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Seems Rudy has met with the players. Hopefully his will andf optimism will drive this team tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0326/1529665.html

Coach out indefinitely with treatments on tap

HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich told his team in an emotional meeting Wednesday that he will be out indefinitely while undergoing treatment for bladder cancer.

The Rockets will have to hold off the Suns for the West's final playoff berth without Rudy Tomjanovich coaching them.

"I didn't look at him in the face," guard Steve Francis said. "It was hard. Then again, it wasn't like he was on his sick bed. Coach is really an emotional guy whether he's telling you you did something wrong or explaining that he's not feeling well."

Tomjanovich, 54, was diagnosed on March 18 with the transitional cell cancer on his bladder that doctors said would be treatable with medication.

Team physician Dr. James Muntz said there had been no change in the diagnosis.

"The only change in his condition is he's calm, he's optimistic," Muntz said. "One of the issues that came up was that treatment should start next week. It became obvious that his treatments should come on time and not juggling something at 10 at night that should have been done at 3 p.m."

Tomjanovich missed the team's five-game road trip and had been expected to rejoin the team for Wednesday night's home game against the Los Angeles Lakers. Tomjanovich said he realized his return now wouldn't be practical.

"I believe it's the best thing for the team," Tomjanovich said. "At this critical part of the season, this team, any team, needs a coach who has got to give 100 percent of his thoughts to helping the team. As much as I love this team, I know my thoughts would be on some other things."

Tomjanovich, in his 12th season as head coach, led the Rockets to consecutive NBA titles in 1994 and '95. He's acrobatic on the sidelines during games and that would be hard to contain, he said.

"When I coach, I put everything I have into it," Tomjanovich said. "I come out of games and need ice packs. With all the adrenaline flowing, that can't be good for a healing situation. It just doesn't make sense."

Assistant Larry Smith will continue to coach the Rockets (37-33) during Tomjanovich's absence.

"It's tough. Coach is my mentor," Smith said. "I love the guy. I'm just happy that he's going to be OK. Now, this is our job to go and get wins and we'll do everything in our power to do so. He wouldn't want it any other way."

The team initially said Tomjanovich would rejoin the team during the just-completed West Coast road swing, then announced he would miss the entire trip. The Rockets went 2-3 under Smith.

"It's hard to deal with," forward Glen Rice said. "What makes it easier is to deal with it and talk about it and that's what we've got to do. I think we'll react good. Just seeing him gave the team a lift to see him being strong. Now we've got to go out and show that we're OK."

The Rockets are battling the Phoenix Suns for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Until his absence on the road trip, Tomjanovich had not missed a game in 11 seasons as a head coach.

Tomjanovich said he got over a bladder infection about a month ago and went in for routine follow-up testing. One came back negative but another was positive. That led to the more extensive test March 17 that confirmed the abnormal cells.

Asked if he saw any possibility of not returning next season, Tomjanovich said "not in my mind."

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Uh......ok.

Anyway, hopefully the players will keep those Rudy headbands the rest of the season (it looks good on Yao) and use Rudys strength as motivation for the stretch run and playoffs.

10. rocketsball2003

ok everybody around there rooms on three

rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy rudy

cant wait to see you back on the bench rudy

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Compared to Rudy's health and the welfare of his family, basketball is childsplay. He should focus on getting well and forget the rest. Basically we are watching a bunch of spoiled millionaires running aroun in short pants anyway. This is all fantasy and entertainment. Rudy's situation is life and death. Rudy, get treatment, get prayer, embrace the love of your family and friends, and forget about everything else!

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

12. Nova

Nova Member

Are you talking about... GOD!!???? No wait there isn't anyone higher up than the Rox organization! :D

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Brent Musberger, narrating the halftime feature of the NBA Finals on ABC:

A year ago, the Houston Rockets were in quicksand, sinking to a miserable 54-loss season. Fortunes soon changed, however, when Steve Francis landed the first pick in the draft and the Rockets nabbed 7'6 sensation Yao Ming from China. Although this season was bumpy, the Rockets stayed in the thick of things in the playoff picture.

That's when their world came crashing down.

Beloved coach Rudy Tomjanovich was diagnosed with cancer, leaving the NBA stunned and the Rockets focused on the health of their "Captain." After the team pronounced it's official motto "Do It For Rudy," an amazing finish to the season earned them a seventh seed and a first-round date with the Sacramento Kings.

After 7 hard-fought games, the Rockets unbelievably prevailed. But they didn't stop there. They kept winning. Winning games, and winning a spot in the NBA Finals. If Houston finds yet another way to win, it would cap the greatest run to the finals in NBA history. Take the journey with them.

76ers-Rockets battle for the crown. Next...on ABC

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WOW !!! This deserves to be larger...

DD

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Damn...that's terrible.

Get well soon Rudy.

Chills, man, chills.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Get well soon Rudy T.

This man is the Rockets. He is what the organization stands for and believes in.

And I for one have enjoyed having this man on the sidelines for the Rockets for the last 10 years or so.

AB,

Right on. Use this as motivation, if NCAA players can take media criticism as motivation and pull off improable upsets, nothing should stop the rockets from doing the same.

I expect Cuttino Mobley to really step up and be the vocal energy behind this team, he just seems like that kind of individual.

Also, watch Yao punk Shaq tonight. He will neutralize the big fella. I guarantee it.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Get well Rudy. I hope to see you back soon, but make sure you are feeling much better when that happens.

Damn, I am dissapointed, but I shouldn't be surprised that even now, people are still offering backhanded condolences and sneaking in their desire for Rudy to step down. Shame on you, save your Rudy bashing for another thread where you won't have to be subtle.

18. pooh222

pooh222 Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to Rudy. I know I've said some harsh things about Rudy as a coach on this board, but I have nothing against him as a person and hope he has a full recovery.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Rudy, Get well...Take care of yourself and come back where you belong!!!

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If you're Rudy and you're trying to rationalize this, think of it as the ultimate coach's ejection. The coach screams at the ref till he gets thrown out, and the team goes "holy #&$@" and pulls it together.

Only this time, the ejection is for 10 games and the "#&$@" is 100 times holier.