1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Roger Clemens' mother dies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by oomp, Sep 14, 2005.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3354035

Sept. 14, 2005, 2:52PM

Roger Clemens' mother dies
    Houston Astros pitcher Roger Clemens's mother died at 4:30 a.m. today. Bess Clemens died due to complications from emphysema.

Roger Clemens intends to pitch tonight in honor of his mother, his foundation stated in a press release.

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

:(

I know he wanted her to be able to see him go into hall of fame.

His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Wow! I can't believe he's pitching tonight.

RIP

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

No-hitter tonight, I would bet.

5. dEVIL

dEVIL Member

my thoughts exactly

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

RIP...

Wow, who thinks Clemens will pitch a no-hitter?

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He shouldn't be pitching today. Astros should not let him pitch today if they truly care about him. If Clemens gets beat today, he and the Astros will never hear the end of it but maybe he can put on a Brett Favre type performance.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why? It's his decision and his alone. What kind of sane person would even think about giving him **** if he loses today? Only a sick person would do something like that.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

RIP

I will be at tonights game...definently will be one for the books...the Astros better bring their bats cuase i know Roger will bring his beyond awesome stuff.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Why would he never hear the end of it if he loses?

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly... you've never posted anything more idiotic (as amazing as that is).

Do you really think that the team is demanding that he make this start? The sole reason why he's still playing baseball is that it was HIS decision... this wasn't like the Astros "let" him play for them.

To compound the situation... you have to realize that the only reason Clemens was reluctant to continue his career and sign with us was that his mother, who was a chronic smoker, had already been diagnosed with severe COPD... and he knew that she really wanted to be able to see him get inducted into the HOF. (which has a 5 year waiting period after one retires)

Him pitching in her honor is his choice... its his way of coping with this... and frankly, there are things more important in life than the freaking wild card pennant chase.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You would criticize Roger if he doesn't win or pitch lights out tonight? Are you f$%!ing kidding me?? I think there are very few people that would feel like you. It's his decision and he wants to pitch in his mothers honor. How could you fault him or the team for that?

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He gets a standing O from me regardless cause he pitched for us over his mom getting to see him put in the hall of fame. For that, I will be forever grateful.

But, it will be interesting to see how he does. He could be dominant. Or, the stress of losing mom could be too much and he could lose fockass. It would suck if he got shelled, though, and walked off the field in tears.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, but it will be awesome to see him coming off the field in tears after pitching his first no hitter tonight. :)

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'll likely be in tears regardless. Roger is one of the most passionate players I've ever seen in professional sports... and one of the special few who has been able to directly channel that passion into a HOF career.

16. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Wow, I am blown away that Roger is going to pitch tonight. I've read that was VERY close to his mom, so this has got to be devastating. To have the fortitude to go out there and pitch in the midst of overwhelming grief is unbelievable. He doesn't need anything to add to his illustrious legacy but this will anyway. It would make a great story if has a dominant game, but the fact he is pitching at all is truly awe inspiring. I feel lucky to be going to tonight's game to see this......truly a legend in our time.

17. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I too will be at the game tonite, and I hope Roger does well not for us fans, but him and his family. Roger is a true professional who has meant more for this city in short period of time than alot of other athletes who have played here before him. my condolences to Roger and his family

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Your the idiot who keeps defending David Carr and thinks Vince Young has no future in NFL as a QB.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No hitter baby!

Maybe it isn't right to talk about this but.....

So this mean Roger will come back next year? Since he doesn't have that burden/worry about wanting his mother to see him enter the HOF.?

Hope we get a strong bat this offseason.

20. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It is his decision and if he wants to pitch, who is going to argue with the Rocket? He pitches, then takes the next several days for the funeral and to mourn and then comes back for his next start.

Maybe at this point he would rather be on the mound with his thoughts on the game. Every deals with death differently.