1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets working on offensive kinks with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 17, 2013.

1. amaru

amaru Member

If he was on the roster he probably would be the best post passer.

2. clutz

clutz Member

Classic Carl Herrera thread title.

3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it reminds me of all troubles yao faced.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Team passing and feedin it into the big man are two different things. Very few can pass like Larry Bird but no one got it into the big man better than Rudy T's Rockets. And it wasn't coincidence. They worked on it every practice. They worked on fronting and passing and feeding and refeeding. And it's not all the current Rockets problem. Howard has to understand when he is open or not. And when he is not , meaning he is doubled or two far out then he has to quickly pass it out to the open guy or to the feeder for a repost.

For all the people who say Beverly should start over Lin. I saw a sluggish team out there last night with Bev starting. Yes he is a better defender but the offense is not as good with him on the floor. Lin is the best feeder to dwight so far. And while he is not great Beverly is terrible. Harden does a pretty pass once or twice a game but nothing consistent. Lin is the best and will improve the quickest. Also Howard is not Hakeem; a good pass to Hakeem may not be a good pass for Howard, meaning he needs to be deeper to really make something happen. Yes he has speed to get by his man but he is a poor finisher.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Dwight did horrible when Lin was starter too. I don't know where all this nonsense is coming from.

6. TTNN

TTNN Member

Well, you brokedown the team's plays a lot of times, and I really enjoyed reading those. Sure you know lots about bball. However, following quote answer your question the best, as that was quoted from coach McHale.

On the other hand, "Parsons, because of his size" argument is really not a good one, it is those kind of argument for the sake of argument, based on "probably more likely" fact without support. So I will ignore that, I'd like to see your film breakdown analysis, and I like to see the one in game 1, Lin give two consecutive assist to Dwight within 1 minute, and see how he did that there. Thanks.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

you can say that again OLD MAN ROCK! real cool that you've been on CF for so long, Ive been a big rockets fan but just discovered this site, great knowledge of the game. Yes nothing will compare to dream and your right once you get the ball its nothing worng with sending it right back out and re postion yourself thats something KG is good at in the post.

What i noticed last night is we only had one fast break FG which was the alley to howard from harden. I cant recall a single game from last year where this happpened, our bread and butter is run & gun.

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

first give credit to magic. then the part of reason might be that Beverly became a rb machine and forgot he was pg. he spent too much time around low block.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very true. The best interior passers are usually big men. I think it's something Parsons can easily develop if he focuses on it.

I'd love to bring in Rudy or Horry to work with our wings on getting the ball inside. It's not hard to teach, just emphasizing it by bringing in a consultant will work wonders.

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Our post passing is pretty crappy, but Dwight doesn't really make himself available.

I don't know if he's got horrible hands or what it is, but he loses the ball often and doesn't clear room for the entry pass. You got to keep that window WIDE, and he's got to get DEEPER position from the on-set. Beat your man down the court, and get not 14-16ft out but 8-10ft in.

Once he gets that he needs to learn how actually score from the post. His face up and drive by game is pretty solid, but he misses little bunnies way too often. Still don't trust him when OKC or SA or IND give him 1 on 1 coverage, don't think he can beat it. For the other 20-25 teams that are too small, just his presence alone makes him dominant. But to be the best he has a lot to work on and that's more than just our initial entry pass.

Teams like Heat will absolutely manhandle him if he tries to put the ball on the floor; Chalmers, Cole, Wade will feast on that. He has to understand how to control his area and then most of all needs to get a less mechanical, and more soft touch in the post.

I know it's a lot of hate, but honest thoughts here.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What we need is Hedo Turkoglu, who is not only a great passer but knows Dwight's needs. Just need Orlando to buy him out.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

NONSENSE ? Did you watch the first game VS the pelicans when dwight had his best game, he was getting fed from Lin in p&r and off drives, (harden even ran the p&r to him one play. Harden was playing defense and knocking down shots also of course. Parsons was cutting through the lanes & dwight would find make a good pass. In Taiwan lin was playing aggressive and all for himself.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

(I'm not sure I totally understand what you're saying, so this may not be the response you're looking for):
    I may break down game tape in the future, but I'm not really interested in going back to look how different guys are doing feeding the post. Smart players with good size for their position, like Parsons, generally do well feeding the post. Lin may be a good post feeder himself -- and for all I know he could turn out to be the best Rockets at feeding the post -- but assist numbers (at the rim) don't really have a lot, if anything, to with doing a good job feeding the post. That's all I'm trying to say.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets need Turkaglu of 2009. If the Magic buy him out, I have no doubt that the Rockets should make a bid, but not sure you're getting that same player anymore. Still I think its worth a shot if he gets released.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So are we not going to utilize the PnR with DH? I don't see many of them in the preseasons so far. It seems most of time, we try to pass him the ball in the post and let him go at it. I wonder why. They wanted to priority post play over PnR in the preseason for now? PnR is just not a stable of the Rocket offense?

16. kcd

kcd Member

So true.

17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Isn't it more likely that the team was looking sluggish because of jet lag rather than the fact that Jeremy Lin wasn't playing?

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Harden & Bev played just fine, next game I guess it will be they had too much rest

19. DaneB

DaneB Member

Good to see that the Rockets are going to work on feeding Dwight in the post. That was really something that the Lakers didn't really care to work on too much and they had certain players that really didn't want to pass it into Dwight anyway.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KVwsdb_7tE8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KVwsdb_7tE8

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He'd take minutes away from more capable players. We're not sticking a guy out there solely based on his interior passing ability. I suppose he would be an upgrade over Casspi if the price was right, but I'm not sure what Hedo has left in the tank at this point.