1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets Weigh Future of Broadcast Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, May 9, 2005.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i really don't care who else they have as long as they get bill and calvin back together.

i'd put up with cynthia cooper as the full-time pre-game, post-game, and halftime host and analyst if that meant bringing back calvin. :eek:

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

No kidding...you guys don't know what you got (or had w/Bill & Calvin) After my first year up here in Dall-Ass, I was going crazy listening to these TERRIBLE Mavs announcers. You saw them at the beginning of the game & then MAYBE at the end. NO Personality whatsoever. I always liked how Bill & Calvin were made a part of the game w/ Barkley hitting Calvin on the head in the middle of games, and fans at away games giving them cookies...That was great stuff during those drawn out timeouts & foul shots. Gives you something to laugh at while waiting for the action to start back up. Also gives you a sense of Hometown pride-almost like you personally know the commentators.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy will be back, it just hasn't been announced yet. I got the inside scoop from Joel Blank, Director of Broadcasting for the Houston Rockets. :D

4. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

what a damn shame about cooper.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

My girlfriend said that Cooper's makeup made her look like a Brazilian Transvestite.

Having been to Brazil on holiday I concur.

DING DONG THE WITCH IS GONE!!!!

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Mark Jackson, plzzzz. You know the guy that would make a great broadcaster but has shown no interest, Clyde the Glide. He is smooth, would love to see the guy behind a mike.

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

I hope to one day in the far future have the Rockets atleast toy with the idea of an Olajuwon, Moses Malone and Yao sportsdesk halftime show...

I mean.. just PICTURE it! :eek:

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

I hope to one day in the far future have the Rockets atleast toy with the idea of an Olajuwon, Moses Malone and Yao sportsdesk halftime show... Pending Moses is still alive..

I mean.. just PICTURE it! :eek:

9. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

CALVIN CALVIN CALVIN!!!!

Make it so.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Murphy is on 610 right now.

11. Vaevictis

Vaevictis Member

Jeez, definately Worell and Murphy. When I lived in Houston, I knew what they were worth. They actually provide entertaining, INSIGHTFUL, and FAIR commentary on the game.

In other places I've lived, the commentators were either complete stiffs or were complete homers. There was nothing like Bill and Calvin.

Calvin is a little eccentric, but once you get past that, he REALLY knows what he's talking about, the players usually respect him (the dude has his jersey retired {and is in the Hall, iirc}) so he actually has a relationship with the players and can report on what they have to say, and the dude doesn't ignore a call/non-call just because it favors the Rockets. What more could you possibly ask of from a commentator?

Worell is a good teammate for Calvin; he tends to keep Calvin on track, and knows a bit himself ;)

I wish Bullard the best, but Bill and Calvin could easily be a top pair of commentators nationwide if they tried and were given a fair shot.

I mean hell, look at some of the people TNT has put up, and tell me they couldn't do MUCH better than that?

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill and Calvin, Van and Jeff in studio. Bull is a zero. He has scintillating insights like " Rockets down 20. They really need a score."
    Gee, thanks. Either that, or ridiculous puffing. "That three by McGrady really shows how they are playing team ball". Uhh huh, sure. He's just a vanilla spin man, and Hagedorn is better. let him walk.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

for real, lol.

p.s.
    <3 calvin

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You HAVE to bring back Calvin Murphy. The man was found innocent; 'nuff said 'bout THAT.

You can't help but enjoy that team. You have Bill Worrell, the white man's white man---Mr Charlie, almost---and Calvin Murphy, the brother's brother. Great combination.

Get rid of that thick Mississippi twang. No offense, Van, but you even ALMOST made me miss Cynthia Cooper.

(dramatic pause)

OK, that's an extreme exaggeration. NO ONE would make me miss Cynthia Cooper and her "Calvin" Cato's.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Order of preference:

1. Bill and Calvin
    2. Bill and Calvin

3. Bill and Coach Van (grudgingly).

Matt can have the TNT gig or ABC gig......more power to him. Worst case scenario, he can have the FSN studio gig (post/pre game).

Anything short of the return of Bill_Calvin will be uncivilized.

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

That was Lisa Malosky who kept on saying "Calvin."

17. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Bill & Calvin is a great team. They have great chemistry. They can make a blowout interesting. Bill is great at Play by Play, and Calvin is a great teacher and analyst of the game. The studio needs more improvement. If Fox Sports wants to compete with the studio personalities of the TNT egos and loud-mouth but equally entertaining ESPN, then I would go for Jeff, maybe Bull and the man with the million dollar smile - Clyde the Glide. That would be the "unbeatable" team. :D

18. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

I for one am glad that Coop will be moving on. I know she's got knowledge and has some useful things to say, but her presentation leaves a bit to be desired. I wish her luck in her future job.

I vote Calvin, but Van's not so bad once you get used to him.

19. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Slick Rick... Clyde? Are you kidding? I love Clyde, but he can't even give a good interview. He speaks only in cliches.

Van Chancellor really got good at the job as the season wore on. I loved how he'd call the plays the Rockets were about to run and then they'd run them and you could see the play develop. He had great basketball knowledge and good analysis of the game. His accent is interesting (and yes, sometimes annoying), but I got used to it and didn't notice it as much by the end of the season.

That said, I want Calvin back on the sidelines too. Murph rocks! Put Van in the studio with Hagedorn.

20. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bullard was very dull. From the few words I could make out, Chancellor seemed to provide a lot more insight than Bullard did.

Bring back, Calvin. One thing is for sure, Calvin wasn't fronting with the clothes he wears. He's a straight up pimp.