1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets Weigh Future of Broadcast Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, May 9, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3173033

Rockets weigh future of broadcasting team
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Since there's nothing constructive to be said about being on the business end of the worst Game 7 blowout in NBA history, let's turn to other matters — specifically, the future of the Rockets' broadcast team.

In the wake of his performance on ESPN's Dream Job and his work with Bill Worrell on Rockets television this season, Matt Bullard is going to get job offers, and he's going to pursue openings.

"Doing Rockets TV would be the best gig for me. Being able to stay home would make the most sense," Bullard said Sunday. "But I would like to make a push for TNT. I think it's a realistic possibility, and I'm going to pursue it."

If the Rockets dawdle too long on Bullard, he might not be available. Van Chancellor wants to stay involved as a broadcaster, too. And, of course, there's Calvin Murphy. The team said it would address Murphy's situation when the season was done, and you don't get any more done than losing your final game by 40 points.

Tad Brown, the Rockets' executive vice president for marketing and sales, already has met with FSN regional general manager Jon Heidtke on such matters, and more meetings are planned for later this month.

Those conversations should and will include talk about the pregame and postgame studio show. Local fans footing the bill for the new Rockets/Astros cable contract are not best served by parachuting in FSN's Irving-based anchors for playoff games or by hosting postgames from Irving during the regular season. The new studio at Toyota Center is up and running, and FSN needs someone local to man it.

There are plenty of options for studio analyst — whoever doesn't get the game analyst job, perhaps Mark Jackson, former Rockets coach Don Chaney or an outside candidate. Cynthia Cooper is out because of her coaching job at Prairie View A&M.

More important, though, is a host. While Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley get the attention, TNT's studio show wouldn't work as well without Ernie Johnson. The Rockets need a capable talent — perhaps Jeff Hagedorn, maybe Kevin Eschenfelder — to make their show click.

Man, can you imagine Bill & Calvin back with Hagedorn, Bullard and Mark Jackson in studio? That's like a dream team for the Rockets.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

just say no !

(I like the others though) - in fact Bull did a good job (he offers good insights and well spoken analyses) Maybe Bull could do the games and Calvin could do the pre and post games (since that would give him more time to give his takes and take calls)

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Calvin wants to do the play by play. He likes to hear himself make noise (I do too by the way, he is awesome) and I dont think a job in the studio with 2 other people is enough for his ego. I hope that next season Bill and Calvin are like peas and carrots again.

4. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin. He's the one, the only one.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Get rid of that godawful Miss. drawl.

I wish Bullard the best opportunities he can get, even if that means national. He deserves the big time.

Evan

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

either way is fine - keep Bull, keep Calvin

but NO CHANEY

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I like that lineup, Jeff. Hearing Bull and Van alongside Bill W was just out of the ordinary. Calvin is the energy Rockets broadcasting needs. That's one step in the right direction for the Rockets this offseason.

8. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

listen to other NBA color guys around the league, no one compares to Bill & Calvin. I think they are the best together.
    As far as Jeff Hagedorn & Kevin Eschenfelder I am not that impressed, to vanilla.

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I want Calvin back.

Van was ok, but I can only hear "3 ball" so much in one game.

10. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Bill & Calvin. Jeff & Bull. Please, make it so.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

PLEASE BRING BACK CALVIN! I watch most every game by myself. When Bill and Calvin broadcast, I feel like I'm watching the game with friends. Van Chancellor may bring some of the fun Calvin brings, but he's very difficult to listen to. I love Matt Bullard, but he's very bland. He's not very colorful or interesting. In fact, he's just flat out boring. I could see him doing very well in a situation where he was the Ernie Johnson to somebody elses Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith, but there's no way in hell he can be the Charles Barkley or Kenny Smith. If Bullard is teamed with Worrell, Worrell will be the more colorful of the two. That does not bode well.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

get Van outta here....I enjoy understanding what the announcers say

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin.

Van and Bull in the studio.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The good news is that Cooper is gone..man,what a freakshow.
    Now,on Calvin..gotta have him breaking down the game.Perhaps,the pre and post game gig will lead back into his rightful job.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Mark Jackson? The times I saw him on national broadcasts this season he seemed to love hating on the Rockets. Alot of unwarranted criticism and lack of kudos on his part.

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I really hope Calvin will be back.. didnt someone say they have a insider that says Calvin will be back for sure??

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd love to see a 3 man play by play team. Bill, Calvin, & Bull. I think that would work out really well.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I really want Calvin back, but I really like Bull. I wouldn't mind losing Bull if he goes on to TNT, I'd be happy for him. I also agree, there just isn't another duo around the league like Bill and Calvin.

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Just say "no" to Calvin.

Bull all the way.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't really have an opinion on Bull, Calvin, Cynthia, the Tin Man, etc.

All I have to say is....please get rid of Bill Worrell! I cannot stand him!!