1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets want Yao Ming to stay put

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LegendZ3, Jan 2, 2005.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Everyone knows Cato's range is usually less than 5 feet.

:D

He doesn't deserve a max contract. There I said it again.

Should he be traded? No, but I wouldn't label him untradable either. There aren't many teams capable of putting together a package attractive enough to do it, so I don't think it will happen, but Should a stellar offer come up, it should be looked at. It's not like Yao is dominating the game night in and night out, nor has he shown signs that he is capable of doing so. I'm just very hesitant to commit to a player one step above Rik Smits.

Guys as big as Yao rarely have very long careers. We all know the schedule Yao has between the NBA, CBA, Asian Games, Olympics, etc. He is going to break down eventually and I really think the lack of breaks is going to affect his health alot sooner than other player's of Yao's stature in the past. If the Rockets could get a 100% commitment to the NBA from Yao and the Chinese people controlling his career, I would be less reluctant, but as it stands, I don't like the lack of control the Rockets have.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yao deserves a Max contract and he will get it.

The guy is a very good player, who is getting better every year.

There are not any other 7'6" centers who can average nearly 20-10.

Yao will get the max, and deservedly so....

DD

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Deservedly so in the current state of the NBA maybe...

Max contracts are basically handed out to anyone these days and it should be reserved for guys like Duncan, KG etc.

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

With 30 teams in the league, there are only a handful of players who are worth the max according to common consensus.

Shaq
    Lebron James
    Allen Iverson
    Kobe
    T-mac
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Dirk
    J O'neil

For the other up and coming young studs, like Emeka Okafor, Dwight Howard, etc, it's too early to make a call.

If you assume each team has one max player, can you name 30 players in the league who deserve the max more than Yao?

You may not be able to make a convincing case that Yao deserves the max if only based on game statistics. But at least 75% of the GMs would give him the max because they also consider many other factors than just the numbers on the boxscore, like ability to draw double-team (at times triple-team), game presence, defensive attention, team image, marketing potential, etc.

Does anyone has a list of all the players who are getting the max or close to the max now?

#44 RocketForever, Jan 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

6. rvpals

rvpals Member

Why are we even discussing whether Yao's upcoming max contract?

If Yao stays, he will get a max contract, end of discussion.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yao's looking after himself, he doesn't jump :D

8. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

This is the probably the only thing i'm really concerned with Yao. I mean, besides playing for the Rockets, Yao has way too many other commitments. I can understand why Yao is doing what he's doing now. But, sooner or later, Yao has to realize that he is still human. He needs time to relax, to rest his worn-out body during offseasons. He has to realize playing for the Rockets put him on the map. Playing in NBA made him a household name. Please, Yao, get your priorities straight.

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You must be blind not to see the difference, one is 7'6", more than half a ft taller than the other.;)
    Yah, you are right. KG, K. Bryant, TMac all took way more shots to bare score more than 10 pts than Cato. You know what? We should just hand Cato the MVP trophy.
    The last time I checked, there is no rule saying Yao is not qualify. or deserve a MAX contract. So just quit it.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard those guys were gay, not that there's anything wrong with it.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well of course they are gay.... look at those happy expressions on their faces. Especially that last guy. With a smile like that, he must be the gayest gay that ever gayed a gay.