1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Rockets still trying to trade for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jan 10, 2011.

1. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I agree. Melo with Yao and Brooks/Martin (whoever would be left) would be a formidable combination that could make us contenders. Without Yao, the additions of Melo while losing a number of assets makes us a middle of the road playoff team. Basically, we would be what the Nuggets are (Can you say Denver South?) I'm less inclined now to offer up the farm for Melo, re-sign to a huge extension (if he even agrees) and then have little flexibulity to improve the team with trades or picks. I'm just not sure Melo puts us over the top like I did in the off-season.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My guess is that Morey has somebody else in mind from one of these two or three teams that he would like to take away to bridge the gap in making this trade happen.

Would he like to get Melo??... sure, but his activity in this deal is primarily to be as predatory as possible give the situation of teams exchanging a heavy amount of players at one time. Given that he traded away their 2012 pick to the Nets to give them the edge in the deal for Melo anyway, and limits the Rockets ability to trade away their 2011 pick.

So who is it that Morey wants and what is he looking to package away. Here are a few vague scenarios that could be side deals to upgrade the Rockets.

-A. Favors - This young big might not exactly be what the Nuggets wants, maybe he is just the best young talent they can get and thats why he's mentioned in the deal. Could Morey be possibly looking to package a player like Brooks to the Nuggets for Favors?

-B. Nene - Would most likely be a similar situation to A. but with a player like Scola being involved instead of Brooks to work salary wise. Of course Nene getting moved would leave a huge gaping hole in the middle for the Nuggets so other considerations might have to be involved for Nene to be considered.

-C. Greg Monroe - three team trades are complicated enough as it is. Four team trades.... ouch, but there could be a possibility of offering more cash savings to Detroit in the deal by taking on a bad contract in exchange for a young big like Monroe.

I dont think this is likely because of the complexity of the deal, plus the confidence in Monroe as a player, but stranger deals have happened. One contract I could see Morey taking on might be Teshaun Prince, who could be very useful at the 3 spot in Rick Adelman's system.

-So what do you think?? What other players or picks do you think Morey might be wanting to snatch away by getting involved in this deal other than Melo???

3 people like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THIS is a well thought out post, and probably spot on...if Morey is trying to insert himself he has a target and it is not Melo.

REPPED for a great contribution.
    DD

4. Sanity2disChaos

Hype......thats what......other than that nothing.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Morey should push for Harrington and Nene. Scola, Hill and TE.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was thinking the same. Morey wanted Favors from the get-go. Almost had a deal with Philly to get the #2 pick.

Any deal would wind up as complicated. Scola's name is certainly out front and center. Denver might be amenable, and New Jersey had interest in the offseason.

Morey might not be able to pull off such a deal, but a 3-way trade with Denver and New Jersey, and maybe a 4-way trade (or separate deal) that sent Devin Harris and/or whomever to Sacramento (aiming for Cousins or their 1st rounder)....

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I suspect he's trying to get Nene or force the Knicks to come to the table and give him what he wants for the pick swap. Denver says they're not enamored with the Knicks talent. OK. we'll take some of the Knicks talent, throw Denver some picks and young talent and a ton of cap relief to get Melo to NY.

I don't think Morey cares if Melo goes East. It's just another team that has to fight it out with Miami to face somebody in the West in the Finals. Morey wants to improve our team. We need a big 5 and we need another solid two-way player that can get his shot, and play some D.

And yes, if Melo is attainable with Chauncey, I think Morey would make the trade because he's got enough assets to send to N.O. next year when Chris Paul pulls the same trick and wants out or they decide to fold the franchise or they decide to unload Okafor and Paul. Remember, Chauncey is an expiring contract next season. Don't be surprised if we trade Yao's contract for a talent upgrade and another contract that expires next season also to maximize our expirings for next season and set up another salary dump possibility for then.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CP3 is screwed, he just doesn't know it yet.

Once the owners get that franchise tag, his leverage is toast.

DD

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

With the emergence of Patterson, I'm surprised Morey hasn't just traded him straight up for 'Melo. Hell, a Patterson and Scola for 'Melo and Nene deal would work perfectly.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

LOL! Patterson will not only be a better player than Favors? Favors will be a bust. Patterson has talent and more importantly? Smarts and understanding of the game already. If he wasnt playing behind Scola? Patterson would already be averaging close to a double double and near 15 points a game. I think this is why Scola is the new center peice to very trade for a Superstar now. Rather will be because I think Morey thinks this by now also.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think you're right on that. BUT, I don't know about the viability of the franchise overall. Paul's out may be the franchise folding. They've proven they're not viable in New Orleans, even with Paul. That's the second franchise that has had trouble there. I sense they are eventually going to move and to find a buyer they are going to have to do a salary dump, and if that happens, the only way they can do a salary dump is to trade Paul.

13. dobro1229

Patterson is a solid 4 already in the given amount of playing time, but he doesn't have the presence in the middle the Rockets need long term to contend in the West.

However, I would be surprised to see Patterson even brought up in trade deals because of the high value Morey has placed on him this early in his career. Patterson should be valued as a potential starting four on any team but he is not the star the Rockets are seeking out.

Favors and Monroe have the size and the ability to start at the 5 spot in the future. If Morey can strengthen that postion for years to come, that has to come as first priority.

14. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think getting a superstar outweighs trying to fill a gap, any gap. Sure, getting an Okafor will get us in the playoffs, maybe a a 6th seed even. But what happens in a close game with 5 minutes to go? You can't expect Brooks (imo the only person we have capable of making clutch shots down the stretch) to against the likes of the Kobes, Durants, Wades, Pierces, or even Ginobilis, guys that we will have to go through to win a championship.

I know getting Melo alone will not make us better, but I have trust enough in Morey to believe that if we net a top 10 talent in Melo, he can then fill in the gaps, get cheaper talent in other positions to take us to the top. He's shown he can do the latter part. Lets see if he can get that star first...

15. dobro1229

Thanks for the Rep. I am a little iffy on whether Morey could try and snag Monroe from Detroit, but the idea is interesting enough to concieve. Seems like the perfect team that Morey would try and take advantage of. What are your thoughts on Monroe??

16. makman

makman Member

I'm so tired of hearing about us trying to trade for him. He doesn't want to be here! Try to convince him to sign an extension? That just sounds stupid, he'd leave and our team would start over and be bad for awhile.

17. dobro1229

Your right in some respect and Im sick of hearing about him too, but Morey is basically interested in taking advantage of the situation to upgrade the team by being the bridge in a 3 or 4 team trade.

The moves he has made in recent history shows this is his main goal here. Plus it is worth it for him to keep a standing offer for Melo that the Nuggest staff might take out of desperation at the deadline.

Half of a season with Melo gives this team media exposure, a better chance at competing this year as a low playoff seed, and a nice asset for a sign and trade next season (if he doesn't resign of course.) All of this for the price of a couple assets that are going to expire on the shelf anyways.

Although I think that analysis is the third option to Morey's second option of taking advantage of the situation to pry other players away from this deal like I mentioned in the post earlier. First option of course would be Melo agreeing to sign an extension with the Rockets and trading him for minimal assets and players.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think PatPat will be solid NBA player but he will not be a star in this league. He doesn't have the size nor the body to handle the everyday beating low post players normally take. He does have a nice jumper. I hope he continues to work on hitting those mid-range jumpers.

19. makman

makman Member

While I agree that it is good to keep options open, but he wants to be in NY or NJ not Houston. Wouldn't that be the same as Artest coming here for half a season? It's not worth the trouble, we'll be in Denvers shoes soon if we make the trade.

20. rimshot

rimshot Member

Why are you guys still drinkin the morey-aide!!! What is with everyone on this board's obsession with morey?!?! he has done next to nothing, look where we are! He uncovered a few gems from the draft and rented artest for a year, thats it! What has he done to make you think he can get a superstar?! nothing