1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets seek disabled-player exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 21, 2010.

1. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Heh we should sign "Big Country" out of retirement!! :grin: :rolleyes: :grin:

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Ioannis Bourousis and Fran Vasquez are probably the best European big men out there. I could see Morey being interested in Vasquez. Bourousis I'm not sure.

No.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I was thinking about Vasquez.

The more logical answer here is Sam Dalembert. Don't you think Sacramento will try to buy him out at some point? They're lottery bound. He's an expiring. Once they figure out they can't trade him for anything, I think he's let go. Would love to pick him up at vet minimum for a playoff push. He is your Mutombo off the bench.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Incorrect. Both Yao and the player signed/traded for with the DPE count against the cap and the luxury tax. Hence, there being some reluctance to use the DPE unless it nets the Rockets a quality player.

I wish. Kanter is not yet 21-years-old and undrafted. I believe a foreign player becomes automatically draft eligible once he turns 21 or 22 (depends on time of year of his DOB). If that player is draft eligible and then goes undrafted, he becomes a free agent, able to sign with any team. Milos Teodosic is a recent example.

Vasquez is property of the Orlando Magic. You'd have to trade for his draft rights to get him.

But Bourousis is a VERY interesting option. I don't know his current contract situation, but he is widely considered the best "NBA prospect" big man playing in Europe who is also a free agent. I think the Spurs flirted with signing him the past two summers, but his contract demands were too high.

With Miller and Hill, though, I don't know where he'd play. And to take a huge payroll AND tax hit to add a third-string center this year, I'm not sure Les would be willing to do that. But, who knows? If Bourousis is viewed as a good center, maybe Les takes the hit.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Phili wanted him out of there not just because they thought the world of Spencer Hawes and his contract... apparently he's a mess in the locker room.

I still believe Gortat is on the map for Morey and could be had for the price price. He was just part of the bargain for getting JRich and Hedo off the book. That trade was a cost cutting move, and Gortat was a trade piece for them more than anything.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The rule says if Yao's injury happened before Nov 30, they have 45 days to use the exception. If it happened after Nov 30, they have until next October 1 to use it.

I wonder if there is any argument that the injury happened after Nov 30, during the rehab for the sprained ankle, rather than on the day of the WAS game when he went down with the sprained ankle.

7. HMMMHMM

Yeah. I know. I intended to add that, but for whatever reason it slipt my mind ;)

Anyways, Bourousis is signed through 2012 and makes €5.1mil/season, which equals $6.7mil.

Vasquez's contract on the hand ends this upcoming summer. Barcelona already made him an offer (which is said to be "a very good offer" and one that would enable him to retire with the club). According to this article Vasquez and his agent are waiting for a counter offer from the Magic.
    Now due the fact that the Magic traded away Gortat and currently are desperatly searching for a big man, they may or may not be open to trading Fran Vasquez, depending on who they'll trade for (short/long term option).

8. HMMMHMM

I believe the rule is that the day the player got disabled is terminated by when the team reasonably knows that the player's injury could potentially be season-ending, which would be December 15th/16th in Yao's case.

9. ManOnfire

ManOnfire Member

u didnt get the memo? :grin:

10. HMMMHMM

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just wanted to clarify that the Rockets indeed would have until October 1 2011 if they get granted the DPE:

http://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/18045199225716740
    http://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/18045356910579712
    http://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/18045472010674177

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting theory, but wasn't Yao rehabbing during December? The Rockets wouldn't want him doing anything if they knew he had a stress fracture.

13. HMMMHMM

[​IMG]

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bingo. They shut him down completely once the stress fracture in his foot was found. They'd do the same thing this time, unless they no longer care about Yao's future.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didi the Rockets end up getting the DPE?

I tl;dr'd the thread.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets recieve salary-cap exception for Yao

17. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

So I guess we have to use this exception within the next 2 weeks. This will be interesting.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Awesome!!! Cant wait !!!

19. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

ohhh snap. who's it going to be??

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.