1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets play against Jazz concerns Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Fuse

Fuse Member

TBH, Yao actually does have range that goes all the way out to the 3pt line. Its just that he doesn't take it, doesn't mean he can't. I actually think he should take a few of those long jumpers or even a 3 to keep defenses honest when he is not the focal point of the offense.

2. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

You want a factual based approach to proving that Yao isn't a good 3 point shooter. You really need more than it being intuitive that maybe Yao, a 7'6' center with a great shooting percentage in the low post is better in the post than shooting outside shots. Well here you go:

career 3pt fg%: .143
    career fg%:.521
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/yao_ming/career_stats.html

Or here's some more FACT for you:
    shots for Yao outside of the key for the season: 6/24 for 25%
    http://www.nba.com/hotzones/

Of course you can say, well under JVG's system he doesn't get to shoot 3's. But, of course Yao played 2 years under Rudy's system...so that argument doesn't fly too much. And let me clarify my argument - I never said Yao shouldn't shoot outside shots, but you want to change his game and take him out of the low post for a considerable amount of time. There's a difference between going out and hitting outside shots occassionally to keep the defense honest and chaning his style of play.

So please you challenged me to bring you facts and I have...let's see yours.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

With the way the Jazz running their pick'n-roll, I don't see us defender it, especially when Yao or Deke was involved.

Looking at how Utah scored their point, most of them come near the basket after some screens, they really not a very good outside shooting team. With that in mind, and given the fact that we cannot stop their pick'n-roll, we better pack the paint area, play more zones, and mixup 1on1 occasionally. They won't beat us from outside.

BTW, don't extend Yao's minute. The guy is a ~34 min player, anything beyond that will make him fatigue, result the poor performance late in the game. No one that big should play that minutes.

4. blackbird

blackbird Member

Dude, do you think Yao need practice first, then shoot in the game? Your stats(fact) is meaningless, how can Yao shoot long shots without any practice? All I want to say is that Yao is a good shooter, he can shoot, but there is no green light from JVG.

I never said Yao shouldn't play in low post. I said Yao should shoot outside shots when he is wide open. And it is just an offensive option. Please read first.

5. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

First you complain that I've given you no facts, THEN when I provide you facts you say they are meaningless. You have nothing to support your claim except its because you said so. Yao is a good shooter...he's a very efficient scorer and a good free throw shooter, but Yao shooting from the perimeter is not my idea of good strategy.

6. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Here's your initial post by the way since you claim I didn't read it, it doesn't make any sense on its face. Your whole idea is that he will save more energy out of this. If you're argument is he should shoot while he's wide open on the perimiter, it implies that he is then not in the post at that time - meaning he's not actually involved in the offense except to swing it around to someone else. How does he save MORE energy by taking MORE shots? The only way that happens is if he stops fighting for rebounds...which as I've said already is a terrible strategy. Yao is a low post monster - to change him into a half Brad Miller as you called it doesn't make a lot of sense and again, you can't actually prove that it would be possible - just more conjecture - saying its true doesn't make it true.

7. blackbird

blackbird Member

Did you make up this number or are we in 06-07 season? I just checked, 12/25 for 48%, not bad at all.

8. blackbird

blackbird Member

It is just my opinion, of course, you can have yours.