1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets play against Jazz concerns Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Apr 3, 2007.

1. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

How about play some Greek guy instead of JL3 who you know is a 3-4 string PG or SG for sure? How about put Yao from the low post to the FT line and let other guys do some penetration and kick out to him? How about have Battier take a 3 instead of Alston when there are still 8s left? How about use Bonzi once a while even though he thinks he needs more time? How about sit Snyder as he was doing absolutely nothing there and use Novak as a gamble, we couldn't lose more anyway. There are a lot more than JL3, Rafer and Snyder...

2. ericmark

ericmark Member

I guess Gundy means he has to use players who make less mistake for the playoff. Besides Yao and T-mac, Bonzi is the right choice: experienced and high BB IQ. Snyder is a regular season player at most.

3. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

That is exactly what I am saying. We have a good weapon in the doghouse and all JVG wants is to squeeze more juice out of Yao. But Bonzi probably doesn't have too much a high BBIQ, instead he has too much BBQ... Still, he is miles ahead of Snyder as of right now and can definitely contribute especially when Head is injuried. It is one thing to not get along with your knockhead player, but not playing him in such an important game and lose is beyond me...Actually I immediately worried about the game when I first noticed Bonzi was not in the active list, we could get away if Tmac and Alston/Howard just contributed a little more, but I would take a more balanced offense (I mean a stable 3rd option) than a 111 show anyday, not to mention the significance of this game.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Brilliant strategy, take the most dominant post player in the league and have him shoot long jumpshots. Maybe we can post up Luther Head and have Mutombo guard the point on the perimeter while we're at it. :rolleyes:

5. blackbird

blackbird Member

Who told you the most dominant post player can't shoot long jumpshots? He don't need jump at all, just shoot as FT. As far as I know, Yao is a good shooter, but he is not a low post monster or Shaq. The key is to save his energy, reduce turnovers, reduce blocked shots, and have more offensive options.

6. StupidMoniker

The problem with your argument is that he is a low post monster. He cannot be effectively defended by one player (look what he did to the Lakers). You want to stop him from dominating in the low post and draing double teams and instead have him shoot 18-20 footers. You are trying to turn him from Shaq into Brad Miller. It is better to have Shaq.

7. 99bb

99bb Member

The major concern is Alston. JVG should play the greek guy more in the rest games of the regular season. We need a guy to do something when Alston is not in good form during the playoffs. JLIII is not a solution as he is a SG ( shoot-1st- guard) only but not a PG (pass-1st-guard). Besides, he is too small. :(

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

or we could sign rick brunson to a 10 day contract so jvg has someone he trusts available to run the point in the playoffs....can we get mark jackson back from abc? r0fflz!!

9. blackbird

blackbird Member

How about let Yao be half Brad Miller plus half Shaq?

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

im sry but yao is not shaq he is more of a half brad miller half shaq as previously mentioned

11. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

This sounds like a really really terrible idea. The minute you take Yao out of the low post you lose the rest of your offense. You can't have an inside-out offense with little inside play. And of course that's not even mentioning the fact that outside shots aren't Yao's shots! He's a very efficient offensive player in the offense right now, to take him out of that comfort zone and force a 7'6' low post player to suddenly develop an outside shot is just insane. Yao is not a 3-point/outside shooter. You want Yao to be Dirk and the bottom line is that they are just very different players.

12. YugoRocketsFan

The thread has a typo, Rafer's play against the Jazz concerns Van Gundy.

13. blackbird

blackbird Member

The fact, where is the fact? How can you make those conclusion? Yao only played in JVG's system. Do you want to say JVG's system is perfect? And perfect for Yao? I never thought JVG's system is good for Yao.

14. blackbird

blackbird Member

Sorry, I forgot to add. JVG is a good defensive coach, and a below-average offensive coach. It is the fact. There are many offensive flaws in his system. He don't know how to play TMac and Yao, who are great offensive players. It is the fact, plain and simple.

15. pli777

pli777 Member

Tmac needs to drive whenever he can, not shooting those ugly 3s.

16. StupidMoniker

Yao played in Rudy's system, and he shot the mid to long range shots. He is much more effective in the post. The basic idea on offense is to get the closest shots to the basket that you can. That is why the Rockets work so hard to shut down the paint, because those shots are better/easier than outside shots. Yao in the post gets those close shots, and has the added benefit of drawing double and triple teams, which gets other players open shots. Putting Yao 18 feet from the basket is a dumb idea. The only reason Yao should ever leave the post on offense is to set picks.

17. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Actually, I think the only thing that needs to change is that T-Mac and Yao both need to go to the line at least 10 times each. Everything else can stay the same.

T-Mac needs to take less midrange J's because those depend on luck way more than a drive to the basket.

18. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I feel that when both Yao, Big Jake and Mutombo aren't on the floor, we should play a semi-runnning game. Let T-Mac control the offense, put players with smart bbIQ (Battier, Alston, Hayes) and let him do whatever he likes. I remember a Nets game once when T-MAc simply split the D and went for the slam, but got fouled. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The answer is easy. Rebounding and Foul shots.. If you take long shots, the longer the rebounds are and the atheletic guards can chase it down (unlike Alston and Battier). Take close shots, and the rebounds will be bouncing around the paint area where Chuck will be there.

Also: foul trouble for the other team's big men. Remember that Wizards game when Yao shot lights out? The wizards had to resort to Andray Blatche, a rookie that had been used sparingly until Haywood and the other center fouled out. With Yao down low, it will be much easier to draw fouls and comfortably make free throws than to shoot a jumper. Think of the 17-21 FT Yao had against the Jazz. 21 free throws is worth about 10 jumpers, and 17 is worth 8 jumper. Ordinarily, it would be highly difficult to go 8-10 from the field, while it's easy for Yao to go 17-21 from the FT line. That's why having Yao in the paint is much better than him being Brad Miller.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Jazz-Rockets comparison:

Offense: Even

Defense: Edge to Rockets

Bench: Even (if we have bonzi or snyder actively contributing off the bench, alongside the usual bench of head and juwan and deke..)

I think we should be able to take the Jazz in 6 games