1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets' new look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1985816

July 8, 2003, 9:58PM

Rockets' new look to include logo with stylized, twin-tailed R
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

It's only one letter, scarlet though it may be.

But if the Rockets have their way, the stylized, twin-tailed R unveiled Tuesday as the team's new logo will symbolize the city's NBA franchise as surely as the Celtics and Lakers have been represented for decades by their trademarks.

And at least the flying R will retire the Rockets' needle-nosed, snaggletoothed cartoon rocket to the fashion scrapheap where it belongs.

The Rockets unveiled the logo Tuesday as the first step of a redesign that will culminate in September with the debut of red and silver uniforms.

The rollout began about 10 days ago with a choreographed leak of 200 caps bearing the new logo to team employees and their friends. Another 800 caps will be distributed during the next two weeks as part of the Rockets' efforts to sell luxury suites in the new downtown arena.

The logo, which resembles a rocket's nose cone at the top and features twin exhaust trails at the bottom of the R, will show up on billboards next week, and it will play a role in the ticket sales campaign that will begin late this month.

And, come September, the logo will be available on caps, shirts, pins, bumper stickers and jackets leading to the uniform unveiling and the tipoff of the 2003-04 season.

"We wanted to come up with something that would be timeless," said Tim McDougall, the Rockets' vice president for marketing. "You'd like to get something like the Celtics and the Lakers have -- a timeless look that becomes our look and can stick around for a long, long time."

It will take time to determine whether the new design meets that standard. But in one regard, the Rockets' makeover is already a smashing success.

Ever since the decision to discard the Rockets' familiar red and gold uniforms after back-to-back NBA titles in 1994 and 1995 in favor of pinstriped cartoon pajamas, Rockets fans have said that red should be the color of their home team's threads. And, at last, the Rockets have listened.

"We did some surveys, and what came back is that people defined red as the Rockets' color," McDougall said. "Some liked it with black or with white or blue or silver or platinum, and they were split on red and gold. But 99.5 percent of the answers mentioned red in some form or fashion."

Execution of that directive fell to Eiko Ishioka, who won an Academy Award in 1993 for costume design in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Ishioka initially signed on to design uniforms but came up with a logo that was adopted by Rockets owner Leslie Alexander.

"What Eiko saw was the amount of upward motion that is unique to basketball and characterizes the sport," McDougall said. "When you look at the logo, you get the same feel of upward motion that the sport gives you."

Once they decided on the logo, the Rockets asked employees to give sample caps to aerobics trainers, bartenders, ex-athletes -- anyone who was out and about enough to give the new design a wider audience.

Joel Blank, the Rockets' director of broadcasting, gave his cap to Mike Shoelen, the director of golf at Tour 18.

"I put it in the pro shop, and a lot of people asked about it and wanted to know where they could get it," Shoelen said. "And then my wife saw it, liked it and took it from me so she could wear it to an Astros game. She stuck me with wearing a golf hat instead.

"I like the flames coming out of the bottom and the fact that it looks like a Rocket ship taking off. I don't know if classy is the word, but it's a refreshing change."

The Rockets also are working with clothing suppliers on logo merchandise. About twice a week, McDougall receives a 250-page stack of proposed clothing designs to accept, reject or return with suggested changes.

Although Alexander was an outspoken fan of the uniform that was adopted in 1996, McDougall said he has taken an active role in the new design.

"Les wants something that people will feel good wearing and something that will look good on television," he said. "He's been great with suggestions with what he thought worked and didn't work from the last time.

"One thing he likes about the current uniform is that when you turn on the TV, within a second you know you're watching the Rockets. He wants to make sure with the new uniforms that people don't spend time figuring out who they're watching -- that they know immediately it's the Rockets."

McDougall said the uniforms are still being modified by NBA officials and won't be unveiled until September. Other than confirming the main colors -- Pantone PMS200 red and PMS 877 silver, with accents of white and black -- he refused to offer details.

"There are no pinstripes," he did offer.

"The R plays a prominent role," McDougall added. "One rumor I heard was that it was going to be just a giant R. That's not true. There is some trim outside the trademark and the logo."

He also broached the possibility that the Rockets could seek permission to wear red uniforms, which by NBA tradition would be limited to road use, at home for special occasions. Meanwhile, team officials said there are no plans to change the Comets' logo or uniforms.

While the Rockets prefer to retain some mystery about their new threads, Tuesday's logo rollout showed that fans are interested in the outcome. The logo was posted on the Chronicle's Web site at 2:34 p.m., and within three minutes fans were talking about it on the fan site clutchcity.net.

In less than five hours, more than 5,000 votes were registered at www.chron.com by fans offering thumbs up or thumbs down on the new design. About 1,500 votes were cast in the first three hours of a similar poll on the Rockets' Web site.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nice props for clutchcity.net.

Perhaps the reason they rolled out the logo announcement a week earlier than July 15th?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Probably because they knew someone would bust their cover and post a pic on this website.....

Purely specualation though..... ;)

Also, is anyone else worried about this "prominent role" that the logo is going to have on the jersey????? :(

I get the feeling that its going to be HUGE or be the focal point of it or something.....

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Gotta love the clutchcity.net PLUG! :D

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Yep that was all Tim.

Thx T.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Tim McDougall is Tim on this BBS?

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

yes

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"Eiko Ishioka, who won an Academy Award in 1993 for costume design in Bram Stoker's Dracula"

Oh....it all makes sense now :rolleyes:

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

ROTFL pip. :D

I mean, er. No comment. Logo looks great.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What do you think of the Rockets' new logo?

Looks great:
    27%
    Not bad:
    31%
    It's a joke, right?:
    42%

Total Votes: 7403

OUCH

11. ron413

58% of the vote for not bad & looks great. The majority at first glance says it is an improvement from the pajamas. That is good results, in my opinion.

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

You just beat me to it...lol:)

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, it may not have been Tim giving the plug. Though he does read it and post here, pretty much all of the local journalists and quite a few national one's read the board as well from what I've heard. No surprise. It is the best source of Rockets info anywhere...ever.

15. ron413

My money i$ on Tim...

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I look at it the other way around.

Only about a quarter of people who see it think it looks good.

I think any pro sports logo that does not strike at least half of the viewers as "good" is no achievement at all.

in other words, about 75% of the people don't like it .. not good..

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Any chance the home uniforms will be silver, does the league allow that??

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Lakers have yellow. Why not?

19. ron413

When did not bad become a negative thing?

How was your food today, not bad. Could be better, but damn better compared to what I had yesterday! (ie. pajamas for uni's)

20. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I'm a sucker for the mustard and ketchup but the new logo is better than what we had to put up with the last 8 years.