1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets need to decide whether to use their picks at all

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Use both picks, then sit all young players on the bench so we can develop Samuel Dalembert, Earl Boykins and Marcus Camby.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

What would I like to see? Turn the two into one higher pick, say #9. Or combine them with players to get an All-Star.

Really, though, there is enough play here for DM to win in several different ways. Aside from the aforementioned, he could draft two players that turn into something. I could see him (well, another GM) using the two picks for the best two centers available, with the idea that something good would come out of the two players combined. More likely, DM would go for the best two players available.

I actually think that picking the two BPAs would be the worst thing he could do. DM has not shown any particular talent for picking in the mid-first round. I could easily see him coming up with a Patterson and a Morris, which isn't much better than throwing darts at a dart board, IMO.

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Trading them, I hear. RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyDrakeBVNMG">BobbyDrakeBVNMG</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/franfraschilla">franfraschilla</a> what about the Houston rockets picks?</p>&mdash; Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) <a href="https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/210948836481437696" data-datetime="2012-06-08T04:18:16+00:00">June 8, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

whoa. He must be a clutchfans reader

5. cod

cod Member

The Nets supposedly very high on Fournier. 16th pick for their 2013 pick back?

Donuts and in way Morris will be like having two 1st round rookies in 2013. So trading out, not incomprehensible.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Isn't he under contract with Madrid for like 4 more years? Madrid pays Real money and has onerous buyouts.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

During an interview yesterday at the combine with Avery Johnson, he alluded to potentially aquiring multiple picks using their "resources." I would say the Rockets are potentially the team they already have a deal in place with. Maybe for the 16th pick or both picks.

If I had to guess on a potential NJ trade, I would say that the Rockets might be trading back with New Jersey for future picks in future years, and the ability to get back their pick obligation from the Terrence Williams trade. I doubt there are any players, or assets the Rockets would value on that team outside of Williams, Lopez, & Brooks.

If for some reason the Rockets can get minimal protection on a couple future picks, this could pay dividends for them in the future just like the Dallas pick they got this year.

Plus they still might be trading a player like Lowry, Martin, or Scola for an even better pick then 14 & 16 this year. So giving up the 14th & the 16th for future picks with minimal protection could be the right move to make.

That being said, its all speculation at this point, but if Feigan is prepping the fanbase for something like this, he probably has a good reason for thinking this way. That or he's just "sitting on information" to manipulate the fanbase.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Been saying for awhile that this was a distinct possibility if the Rockets missed the playoffs. Not saying that it's likely. Just that it would be a distinct possibility. New Jersey will never do better with our pick obligation than #16 in a draft deep with mid-first round talent. That said, I could see the Rockets using that fact to try to extract more value from New Jersey. It probably won't be a future first, though, unless the Rockets take back salary.

Agreed about Morris and Motiejunas. Barring trades, there just isn't enough practice or playing time for so many good prospects next year. (Sorry, coachbadlee.)

Hahaha. I can guaran-damn-tee you that Jonathan Feigen does not know what the Rockets are doing on draft night. Hell, I'm fairly certain that even Daryl Morey doesn't know yet.

I think people give Feigen (who I like) far too much credit for knowing top secret information. He may rarely have a negative word to say about the organization (The Chronicle has Jerome Solomon for that!), but he's just a journalist.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Getting back the T-Will pick and a future first rounder isn't a bad haul.

10. Raven

Raven Member

In a draft where trading up is very doable, it would be unforgivable for the Rockets not to try and do so.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We should be trying to aquire more picks, not trading the ones we have away. I know i will be disappointed on draft night, but trading one of the picks to satisfy the NJ obligation would absolutely suck. There are potential stars in the mid-round of this draft. Can we freaking start to rebuild already?

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When Feigan writes or tweets something like this, I pretty much consider it an "educated guess" just as if you, Clutch, or any other educated follower of the Rockets would have made the statement.

Your right that the situation is probably very fluid up until pick is made and possibly even later that night. That being said, if the Rockets are calling every other front office in the league to field offers for the 14th & 16th pick(something they should by all means do) its not hard to believe that word wouldn't get around.

I dont think Feigan is a mole like some people on here think, but he makes a good point that the fanbase shouldn't really get to attached to players projected in that draft range, because it should come as no surprise if they were to trade those picks. Thats all that I was meaning by that. Alot of the fans on here will flame Morey if he trades those picks for what seems like Nothing in the short term. If that is to happen, people like you are going to be explaining why it logically makes sense to do so or not to do so. We all know fans wont listen to Morey or McHale.

#52 dobro1229, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't look like free agency will be the solution for us and the picks are mediocre, so if we're going to do something that fundamentally changes the fortunes of the team, it's going to be a trade. And, the best time for a trade in the offseason is draft night. That way, we can have a clear direction on Lowry/Dragic, on whether we want Dalembert, and what sort of role-players do we need to shop for, all before decision-making time in the July moratorium.

So, I'm expecting some effin' fireworks on draft night. If we don't get them, I'm going to start dogging Morey hard. This question of whether to pick or trade mid-first-rounders seems insignificant and pointless in that context. If Morey swings a big trade, the picks might be needed for a trade. All those young players who make our picks excessive might be gone. D-Mo might never put on a Rockets uniform.

If Morey can't swing the blockbuster, what we do with those picks is probably still important to him, but I'll have checked out. I'll still be here and following the team, but I will have lost all hope that next season the Rockets will be anything but mediocre. Again.

1 person likes this.
  14. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Yo dawg, I heard you like draft picks.... So we put a pick in your pick, so you can draft picks.

[​IMG]

15. Raven

Raven Member

Sadly, probably not until Les sells the team.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Much respect Juan V, but what makes you think that we can we can make a super jump to ultra-competitiveness with a trade? We are not one blockbuster trade away from contention. We're not even close to that.

No matter what we do, the best we can hope for next year is to be marginally better than this past year. We don't have the assets to become contenders overnight, and I'm not spending another year like last year. We need to sink or swim. I don't know why people are scared of rebuilding. Even if we truly rebuild, and our starting five is mostly young talent, we will never be as bad as the Bobcats or the Wiz.

To me, the choice is actually: above avearge team next year (treading water with different players) vs. a slightly below average team (very young, talented, rebuilding squad that will continue to get better). I'll take the latter.

And as far as all this talk about not having enough playing time for rookies on the roster: what is Martin doing on the roster next year? What is Lee doing on the roster next year? What is Bud doing on the roster next year? None of these three players will be retained after next year, and they all play major minutes. Why not move them for picks and get the young guys on the court? Hell, if we can find a way to move Scola, there's even more minutes available. The point is that none of these players are part of our future, but some of the young talent we aquire in this draft or have currently stashed on the bench may be.

#56 Aruba77, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Unless the Rockets package up young (but preferably old) talent for a major trade there really is not space on the roster for very many rookies. And D-Mo is coming and that is like having a top ten pick this year.

Morey and his staff are probably putting in 16 hour days doing homework before the draft. He is probably getting a together a list of things he might like to do, but that is about it.

18. senter

senter Member

Sorry, what's the story with the pick owed from the Williams trade? Protections and years?

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would love to trade the 16 and Lowry in a deal for a good veteran. Draft Meyers Leonard with 14 and re-sign Dragic.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

14 + 16 + whatever it takes of: Scola, Kmart, Bud, PPat, maybe Sam (if Camby locked in), maybe Klow (if dragic is locked in)....

for either:

Josh Smith +#23 pick (Melo)

or Derrick Williams + #18 pick (Melo or better)