1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets must make greater commitment to using Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Feb 15, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No he can't. When he has the ball he doesn't attack the rim because if he does he doesn't get calls. He doesn't have a step back either.

Courtney Lee can create his shot better than Martin.

2. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Or trade him. Yeah I think trading him is the better option

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's almost certainly not getting moved before the deadline, and McHale is cratering his value by failing to play to Martin's strengths. It's really frustrating watching the trade value on our assets sink due to coaching mistakes.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

By which I mean Martin may well be traded at the trade deadline but we still have a month to go...

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

He needs to touch the ball more. Several instances last night the play would go towards the opposite side of Martin where they run sort of a weave and Parsons would end up touching the ball 3 times and Martin touching it 0.

6. houseofglass21

Martin will be gone before the end of the season, he's done here...stick a fork in him

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Martin is done. A lot of his performance reflects on his attitude toward the new coach and toward the GM who puts him in every trade scenario. He needs to go, because we'll lose him at the end of his contract anyway; he won't want to stay.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Martin is just too weak for the role the rockets want him to play... he's maybe a 2nd option more third option on a championship team

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I can kinda understand the coach here bc if martin isnt scoring he is worthless. its a hard decision keep him in and hope he can turn it around and if he doesnt then you are playing 4 on 5, or put lee in and scrifice some offence (even though he is playing better O atm than martin) for some D and rebounds.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I like Martin... but if he cant handle being held accountable - bye!
    I like overall how McHale is runng the team (may be som minor issues..) but overall he's holding players accountable and letting everyone know that no one person (or their ego) is bigger than the team... in this age of coddled superstars - I like it!

11. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

That's actually a really good point. Martin is pretty much a one-dimensional player out there. Martin is simply not the defensive type the McHale wants him to be.

On the other hand though, I still think McHale needs to work through Martin's strength. He needs to watch some RA tapes and he needs to make plays for Martin so he can be effective. Once Kmart gets it going, he'll get his confidence back. We need his contribution so we can be a much more effective team.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He'd be a good Ray Allen type player for the Celtics. Maybe we should trade him for Ray Allen. At least his salary would be off the books.

13. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I'd be cool with that.

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Again for all this "Defensive mindset" "Tough nosed" we keep throwing out there about Mchale I've yet to see the vast improvement on any front. And what good does it do to stop the other tem whe it's like pulling theeth to score the ball? JVG at least had Tracy and Yao, we have no one close to their level.

We can't argue JVG's defensive phylosophy worked or that RA's offense was much better that what we're seeing. But what can you definitively point out McHale has improved on this team? McHale is looking like a "My way or the highway" type coach wich is why we're hearing about disgruntled players.

15. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I would guess the reason why Martins getting benched is because trade deadline is coming and Morey is trying to build Parson, Budinger, and Lee's Values up so that other gm's can see how good our assests truely are. Then trade For a SUPERSTAR!

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he has a history of this type of bush league behavior. Martin IS NOT the consummate professional many make him out to be. Fortunately, he managed to stay healthy last year and put up great numbers, enhancing his trade value. Yes, the rule change is tough for him but adjustments will be made. Besides, Martin was brought in here to play off Yao. Ship his a$$ out to a team with a low post presence.

17. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Well, his main goal coming into the season was to be a defensive/rebounding team and he's been emphasizing that since day one. I didn't say that he improved our defense or any aspects of the team (maybe rebounding.) I'm saying Martin is still trying to adapt to this new system that McHale's trying to put and right now it's not working for him. Again, i really didn't say anything about improvement.

As for scoring, read my entire post. McHale needs to work through Martin's strength and make plays for him

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guy is overrated. When he's hot, he is a better scorer than Ray. Allen is clutch which he is not. Allen is the better shooter with less slumps.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He's just not that good. Allen was a near perennial allstar, remember?
    Kevin Martin with his best numbers on fringe playoff teams, that is why he never got the nod. And his shooting, flopping is nowhere near as flashy.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fixed. Allen with Seattle was as good of a scorer as Martin was.